Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding "Saved Clips" and corrupted videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What files wind up in the "Saved Clips" folder? I'm going to assume:
  • Clips that are manually saved by clicking the camera icon on the screen
  • Sentry mode events
Does that sound correct? If so, I'm trying to figure out why normal clips of me driving wind up in that folder when I don't press the camera icon.

Also, if Sentry Mode is activated, how many minutes before and after the event are saved? I've seen 5-7 minutes of stuff there when I couldn't see any activity or reason why it was triggered.

Lastly, my videos look like crap -- they flash grey (see below). Doesn't matter if it's front cam or left/right repeaters -- they all do it. Any suggestion? I had purchased a 256 GB Samsung USB stick with suggested read/write speeds fast enough for this.

Sentry mode can be triggered by vibrations - like I’ve had mine go off from jack hammering a few parking stalls away, from wind, from birds pooping on the car, etc.

My spouse is the one who does all the fancy electronic/computer/read the instructions stuff so I can’t talk all the technicalities with you, but from their trials and errors (and me having to hear the frustrations) it’s a rather small few and very specific USBs that work well (they got a Luxor and SanDisk Cruzer to work the best). The USBs seem to ‘wear out/deteriorate’ quite quickly from use and when they do you get that greying and other kinds of video disruptions. Again I can’t speak to the technicalities-hopefully someone else can.

The new thing the spouse is trying out is camera memory cards inserted into a USB adapter. Verdict is still out on that setup.

You can set the car to record everything, all the time, which obviously uses up the memory very fast, or you can set it up to record just when you hit ‘download’ and Sentry Mode incidents.

Last edited:
TeslaCam is not (yet) a real product. I imagine that in the future you will be able to check the video directly using the navigation display.

In the meantime, I would strongly recommend getting a real dashcam, who could provide valuable information in case of any accident..

I have a BlackVue with HD recording, and I don't have any issue with the image quality.

Doing video compression requires a lot of resources, something that TeslaCam don't seems to have.

Also the Tesla rear view image display is sometime flaky, even if there is no recording.

Last edited:
TeslaCam is not (yet) a real product. I imagine that in the future you will be able to check the video directly using the navigation display.

In the meantime, I would strongly recommend getting a real dashcam, who could provide valuable information in case of any accident..

I have a BlackVue with HD recording, and I don't have any issue with the image quality.

Doing video compression requires a lot of resources, something that TeslaCam don't seems to have.

Also the Tesla rear view image display is sometime flaky, even if there is no recording.
I've actually got a Thinkware F750 front/rear dash cams from my previous car. Was hoping I wouldn't have to install it in the new Tesla. I guess there's no harm in redundant videos.

What files wind up in the "Saved Clips" folder? I'm going to assume:
  • Clips that are manually saved by clicking the camera icon on the screen
  • Sentry mode events
Does that sound correct?
Yes.
If so, I'm trying to figure out why normal clips of me driving wind up in that folder when I don't press the camera icon.

Also, if Sentry Mode is activated, how many minutes before and after the event are saved? I've seen 5-7 minutes of stuff there when I couldn't see any activity or reason why it was triggered.
When either Sentry is triggered or you tap the dashcam button, the video files containing the previous 10 minutes are moved to a directory under SavedClips, so usually you will find the triggering event in the most recent set of left/right/front files (sort by filename to see them in chronological order). The clips of you driving probably happened within 10 minutes before a Sentry event.
Lastly, my videos look like crap -- they flash grey (see below). Doesn't matter if it's front cam or left/right repeaters -- they all do it. Any suggestion? I had purchased a 256 GB Samsung USB stick with suggested read/write speeds fast enough for this.
My videos look fine (I use SD cards with a USB adapter). Try another drive.

Reactions: Rothgarr

I use Blackview with rear cam, in my 3 and a WheelWitness HD Pro ($125.00 at Amazon) in wife's X.,

I use flash drives in both.
IMG_6557.jpeg
IMG_6556.jpeg
IMG_6555 2.jpeg

Last week my USB drive filled up and the dashcam/Sentry mode stopped working, unbeknownst to me until I needed it when someone really squeezed my car in a parking lot.

Anyway, the saved clips folder was of course very large, but there was still plenty of "revolving" memory available in the other directory where the dashcam clips end up. For some reason, it just completely stopped looping the recordings a day earlier. Really not sure why but it was annoying.

I use Blackview with rear cam, in my 3 and a WheelWitness HD Pro ($125.00 at Amazon) in wife's X.,

I use flash drives in both.

Ack! Why didn't you hide the wires?

I have a Thinkware F750 Front/Rear cam setup and I was able to tuck and hide all the wires inside the moldings and stuff (in my previous car). The Model 3 is so clean and minimalistic, the exposed wires would wreak havoc on my OCD!

If you see clips of yourself driving that wasn't activated by a manual save, it's likely within 10 minutes of you parking and something triggering a Sentry Mode save.

The distortion you see does happen to everyone ... It's a software bug and pretty much occurs in situations when the car is not in motion but not everytime. It happens regardless of the type of USB media you're using.

If you see clips of yourself driving that wasn't activated by a manual save, it's likely within 10 minutes of you parking and something triggering a Sentry Mode save.

The distortion you see does happen to everyone ... It's a software bug and pretty much occurs in situations when the car is not in motion but not everytime. It happens regardless of the type of USB media you're using.
Thanks, the greyouts seems inconsistent -- the last batch seem flawless. Still haven't seen anything that would warrant any of the sentry triggers.