Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncomfortable driver seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not think these MYP seats are that comfortable all! I came from a Toyota Land Cruiser and it is a night a day difference. The Toyota LC seats were extremely comfortable and supportive. I could driven from Delaware to Florida, 16 hours with problem.
I am 5'10" 215 lbs. and I also feel like the left hip bolster needs to have the ability to push out more towards to outside an inch or two. I have not taken a long trip and I am not looking forward to it. I sure hope it breaks in some in the next few months.

Certainly Tesla bought a car seat company and make the black ones in the USA - maybe the white also. But China white!? for RHD cars Not so sure....
So much is reported on the differences that there might be a "grain" of truth although in today's media world, who knows....
Sorry, didn't notice that you are in the UK. Not sure about the seats for Chinese-made vehicles. I guess you could Google it and find out. But I seriously doubt there is a difference between white and black seats made at the same location.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I agree that Tesla needs to rethink their seats. I use several layers of foam plus a seat cover, also padded, to get my butt off the seat bolsters. After a few hours, it gets painful and irritating having to sit on this padded brick. I'm constantly sliding side to side to rest my glutei. I don't know who tested Tesla's seating, but I imagine it was some youthful driver who never drove more than a block or two before signing them off as "comfortable".

I'd prefer a perfectly flat seat. I promise I won't slide any farther than the door or the center console, and will make sure my hands are on the wheel and my eyes on the road at all times. I'm going on a trip of 444 miles today, and I'll be in pain before I hit town. Not looking forward to this.

TESLA, YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!!!

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi and Noflash
I traded in a BMW with the 22-way comfort seats and I have found that I am much more comfortable and refreshed after a long drive in my Y than I was in the Beemer. I'm 6'2" and have horrible back and neck spinal problems so a comfortable seat is critical for me. I initially thought I would miss the extendable thigh bolsters on the Beemer but in practice I do not.

The Model 3 was uncomfortably low to crawl into for me, the Y is easy and comfortable, but once in the seat both were fine.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I'm also finding the driver's seat bottom side bolsters very uncomfortable. I'm have a very average build 6' 170 lbs and they dig into my thighs pretty hard.

I wonder if manufacturing screwed something up with the foam in the driver's seat, as the passenger seat is pretty comfortable, not nearly the same amount of pressure on my thighs from the bolstering. There's nothing super obviously different between the two to the eye, but when sitting, it's very obvious to me. I'm taking it in soon and will mention it, I'm not hopeful, but we'll see.

Reactions: fernie
I'm also finding the driver's seat bottom side bolsters very uncomfortable. I'm have a very average build 6' 170 lbs and they dig into my thighs pretty hard.

I wonder if manufacturing screwed something up with the foam in the driver's seat, as the passenger seat is pretty comfortable, not nearly the same amount of pressure on my thighs from the bolstering. There's nothing super obviously different between the two to the eye, but when sitting, it's very obvious to me. I'm taking it in soon and will mention it, I'm not hopeful, but we'll see.
Please keep us posted.

Reigniting this…I have owned my M3 SR for a year, my major complain are the seats, I swear I feel like I am sitting on wood planks, I feel NO padding on the seat or back, it is so weird, I am 5'8 and weight about 150 pounds.

I often have to turn my hips sideways to “rest” my back and butt after driving. I have noticed some of my passengers doing the same due to the same issue even in the back.

Is this really a common problem? I hear so many praises about the seats being so soft etc, is like I have the complete opposite.

I actually sat in a MY at a Tesla store and I noticed a tremendous difference, the seats were super comfy. Completely different.

Did I just get a batch of bad seats?? Did they forget to add the cushions and padding on my car?? Or is it because is the cheapest one…?

Edit: Forgot to mention I have a MYP on order and I am scared I’ll have the same issue…

Reigniting this…I have owned my M3 SR for a year, my major complain are the seats, I swear I feel like I am sitting on wood planks, I feel NO padding on the seat or back, it is so weird, I am 5'8 and weight about 150 pounds.

I often have to turn my hips sideways to “rest” my back and butt after driving. I have noticed some of my passengers doing the same due to the same issue even in the back.

Is this really a common problem? I hear so many praises about the seats being so soft etc, is like I have the complete opposite.

I think everybody is different.

For me.. the Ioniq 5 Limited and my Kia Telluride were/are like sitting on wooden planks. It's the ventilated seats. I had to buy a cushion for my Telluride as my butt and legs were numb from the drive back from the dealership. Also had similar issue with my Mach-E (zero padding) and also had to buy a cushion and yet folks raved about how comfortable the seats were.

Had zero issues with the 3 Teslas I owned, ID.4, and RAV4 Prime. All VW and Toyotas have been comfortable to me.

I actually sat in a MY at a Tesla store and I noticed a tremendous difference, the seats were super comfy. Completely different.

Did I just get a batch of bad seats?? Did they forget to add the cushions and padding on my car?? Or is it because is the cheapest one…?

Edit: Forgot to mention I have a MYP on order and I am scared I’ll have the same issue…

2022 Y and 3 SR (well, I owned a 2022 RWD) are the same seats. There should be zero difference between them. Unsure if the 2021/2020 seats were any different.

I think the M3 and MY seats are the same. I guess there is a chance that you got a bad one, considering the MY seat felt better to you. Maybe the seat guy was hungover.... I find the MY seats the second-best car seats I've ever had. My 1982 Volvo Turbo is still #1.... :cool:

Certainly Tesla bought a car seat company and make the black ones in the USA - maybe the white also. But China white!? for RHD cars Not so sure....
So much is reported on the differences that there might be a "grain" of truth although in today's media world, who knows....
I think the M3 and MY seats are the same. I guess there is a chance that you got a bad one, considering the MY seat felt better to you. Maybe the seat guy was hungover.... I find the MY seats the second-best car seats I've ever had. My 1982 Volvo Turbo is still #1.... :cool:
Maybe go to one of the centres for a test drive.
You will then be able to compare comfort. Don't live what might be a faulty seat. The fact that so many owners find them comfortable, mitigates in favour of the faulty seat theory.

I have owned and NSX, Porsche and Mercedes SL and the one thing common with all those cars was firm bolster that would keep you in the seat when making a high speed turn. The Model Y seat I believe was designed in the spirit of a sports car and not a medium size SUV. In a sports car you sacrifice comfort for performance. Perhaps the designers of the Y should have opted for comfort.

I have owned and NSX, Porsche and Mercedes SL and the one thing common with all those cars was firm bolster that would keep you in the seat when making a high speed turn. The Model Y seat I believe was designed in the spirit of a sports car and not a medium size SUV. In a sports car you sacrifice comfort for performance. Perhaps the designers of the Y should have opted for comfort.
...except most of us do find it comfortable....

Right, it is weird that I found the floor demo MY so much more comfortable than my M3 SR. I remember I even asked the Tesla guy if the SR had a downgraded or compromised seat comfort in any way, he said that there should be a different and that 100s of people sat on the demo cars everyday and maybe my seats needed time to break in. I have been waiting but still :( cant stand feeling back pain every time I drive a few hours.

And unfortunately I am so spoiled on everything else Tesla cars have to offer that it would be so hard for me to get a different car, so I am kind of stuck.

Did you guys have to go through a "break in" period to find the seat comfortable?

Reactions: Stuart Watson