Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra Red touch up paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try these people. They said they have it. FYI - the new 3 will be offered in this color so likely Tesla will have a kit out when it is released in the US.

Thanks! Just placed an order. Hopefully it’s a good match.

Has anyone used the dr color chip? Am about to pull the trigger and want to know others experiences

Id like to know too. I may order from them and take the risk. I have used it for the blue on my Model 3 and it worked well. Not completely invisible, but good enough at 5 feet.

I got a scratch on my fender- completely my fault, I think it was from the rivet on my jeans- and I would like some touch up for it.

Id like to know too. I may order from them and take the risk. I have used it for the blue on my Model 3 and it worked well. Not completely invisible, but good enough at 5 feet.

I got a scratch on my fender- completely my fault, I think it was from the rivet on my jeans- and I would like some touch up for it.
I ordered the Dr. Color Chip set earlier this week. I'll let you know once I receive it. I have 7 chips on my rear driver side door and fender. The rest of my car is fine.

Reactions: ZuleMYP and f308gt4
1000005035.jpg

It looks like the right stuff from Dr. Color Chip. Color code is right, color looks like it has the black flecks. I'll try my touch ups this weekend.

Attachments

• PXL_20231114_002213467.jpg
    PXL_20231114_002213467.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 81
Yeah I worked on it this Saturday. I watched a ton of videos before to make sure I knew the process and issues that people run in to. It was difficult. I am very detail oriented and patient but I could not get it to work well. Are the scratches covered and not white anymore? Yes. Are they still visible? Absolutely and from 10 feet away can be pointed out. It is an improvement because they aren't these white beacons screaming here I am against my Ultra Red, but I was hoping for more.

The biggest difficulty was that after putting the paint on and letting it dry ( I tried multiple dry times from 1-10 minutes) the solution that is suppose to gently remove the excess around the scratch always removed what was in the scratch as well. It didn't matter what I did.

I ended up just dabbing the paint right in the scratch as best I could after a couple hours of failure. It is what it is. I'll try to find some before pictures and post them.

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_164612082.jpg
    PXL_20231125_164612082.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20231125_164524188.jpg
    PXL_20231125_164524188.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20231125_164540397.jpg
    PXL_20231125_164540397.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 87
Yeah I worked on it this Saturday. I watched a ton of videos before to make sure I knew the process and issues that people run in to. It was difficult. I am very detail oriented and patient but I could not get it to work well. Are the scratches covered and not white anymore? Yes. Are they still visible? Absolutely and from 10 feet away can be pointed out. It is an improvement because they aren't these white beacons screaming here I am against my Ultra Red, but I was hoping for more.

The biggest difficulty was that after putting the paint on and letting it dry ( I tried multiple dry times from 1-10 minutes) the solution that is suppose to gently remove the excess around the scratch always removed what was in the scratch as well. It didn't matter what I did.

I ended up just dabbing the paint right in the scratch as best I could after a couple hours of failure. It is what it is. I'll try to find some before pictures and post them.
Looks about how you’d expect. All these touch-up kits are rubbish. The best you can do is hide the white underneath, but that’s about it.

Reactions: aerodyne

I have used Dr. ColorChip on a number of cars...it's not perfect but I typically get decent results. I assume you used their included cloths for the paint removal process and that you wrapped the cloth over a flat surface object to keep it flat with the surface of the car paint. Also, you need to do the removal process lightly and glide over the spot (no real pressure). It takes a handful of swipes that way to remove the excess paint, but normally leaves the paint inside the chip in place.

I have used Dr. ColorChip on a number of cars...it's not perfect but I typically get decent results. I assume you used their included cloths for the paint removal process and that you wrapped the cloth over a flat surface object to keep it flat with the surface of the car paint. Also, you need to do the removal process lightly and glide over the spot (no real pressure). It takes a handful of swipes that way to remove the excess paint, but normally leaves the paint inside the chip in place.
I did everything you mentioned. One of the problems I had was the paint would set very quickly and would require a decent amount of pressure to remove.

Yes. It worked fairly well on my MSP ultra red.

Reactions: f308gt4