Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is normal behaviour for any consumer facing business. Ditch the expensive customer service team, just employ lawyers instead to answer reasonable questions.

Well, when the banks slowly start to enforce their collateral as yet another of Musk's hare brained schemes leads to his losing control over Tesla, we might get some semblance of a reasonable customer focus. Until then, treat your Tesla like it's on loan from Musk personally.
@Battpower was asking for a 'binding response', that defines that it will have a legal standing.

I do kind of agree with your point though that Tesla core mission and ethos isn't about customers purchasing cars, we are simply an inconvenient stepping stone they need to endure until they reach their fabled future offering mobility as a service. The staff are perfectly pleasant and the service center engineers I've encountered are excellent, but the companies strategy and goal is not aligned with mine.

Say they do achieve FSD at some point then pivot to building robotaxis for themselves, that's far more likely to be the point I stop buying Tesla, I wouldn't want to buy a taxi. Just wish that the competition were doing a better job with charging networks.

@Battpower was asking for a 'binding response', that defines that it will have a legal standing.

I do kind of agree with your point though that Tesla core mission and ethos isn't about customers purchasing cars, we are simply an inconvenient stepping stone they need to endure until they reach their fabled future offering mobility as a service. The staff are perfectly pleasant and the service center engineers I've encountered are excellent, but the companies strategy and goal is not aligned with mine.

Say they do achieve FSD at some point then pivot to building robotaxis for themselves, that's far more likely to be the point I stop buying Tesla, I wouldn't want to buy a taxi. Just wish that the competition were doing a better job with charging networks.
Also the competition need to make cars that are as efficient and better looking dashboards. My pet hate is a mish mash of button styles and crap menu system.

Reactions: JupiterMan
Also the competition need to make cars that are as efficient and better looking dashboards. My pet hate is a mish mash of button styles and crap menu system.
I happen to think we need more buttons and less touchscreen and haptic feedback rubbish.

To this day I still can’t understand how phones are unsafe to use while driving but a giant mounted iPad supposedly is.

Because I've been waiting for half a year for this car and need a new car soon. If I'd known that they were going to remove USS with no replacement prior to (or shortly after) ordering, I would have cancelled then and got on the wait list for another car.

I'm still hopeful, but right now it's looking like my next car after this upcoming Tesla will be from another brand.
I think this will be the issue for a lot of people. Lead times are still long people have finance deals expiring or just need a new car at a certain time. To be suddenly told your car hasn't got one of the features you thought it had. And given the option to "take it or leave it" many people will feel forced to take it.

Same for the kettle filling analogy. If you need a kettle on delivery day. Take it? Or wait weeks for another one, what do you do?

Reactions: Durzel
I was meaning, when the buttons are hidden behind the steering wheel, or the button and switches don't match each other. My previous car had a 1980's style digital clock at the side of the media touch screen, and the air vents looked like they were from 2 different cars.

When and where will the first USS-less :))) cars start being delivered/collected? Surely some should start to emerge soon?
I think as soon as this quarters deliveries start landing. Looking at the new inventory that’s been listed, some of the 3rd party listing sites are saying they don’t have the sensor. Maybe people in Aus or nearer China may have them already, or US cars.

Reactions: rowedav
asking for a 'binding response',

.... not because I'm in any way litigious btw, but purely because I've already had many apparently straight forward (verbal) responses to similar questions from Tesla staff that seem totally reasonable at the time, but in due course turn out to be meaningless, irrelevant or just incorrect.

Thinking back to the 1940’s through the 1970’s in the US, lots of vehicles had curb feelers attached, ostensibly to protect then-popular white sidewalls on tires. These were all but eliminated when side mirrors became adjustable and deflected downward, and ultrasonic sensors proliferated. Today, we still have the mirrors, but with USS gone from Tesla in a giant step backwards in time and function, I expect curb feelers to be the next big add-on to new cars along with ceramic coating, PPF, and the like. I’m guessing I should make a major investment in publicly-held curb feeler manufacturers and shift my stock portfolio to include them.
1667477992196.jpeg

Thinking back to the 1940’s through the 1970’s in the US, lots of vehicles had curb feelers attached, ostensibly to protect then-popular white sidewalls on tires. These were all but eliminated when side mirrors became adjustable and deflected downward, and ultrasonic sensors proliferated. Today, we still have the mirrors, but with USS gone from Tesla in a giant step backwards in time and function, I expect curb feelers to be the next big add-on to new cars along with ceramic coating, PPF, and the like. I’m guessing I should make a major investment in publicly-held curb feeler manufacturers and shift my stock portfolio to include them.View attachment 870598
Very interesting ... never heard of such things! Though I have to say that the condition of the rim on the back wheel suggests they don't work very well!

Thinking back to the 1940’s through the 1970’s in the US, lots of vehicles had curb feelers attached, ostensibly to protect then-popular white sidewalls on tires. These were all but eliminated when side mirrors became adjustable and deflected downward, and ultrasonic sensors proliferated. Today, we still have the mirrors, but with USS gone from Tesla in a giant step backwards in time and function, I expect curb feelers to be the next big add-on to new cars along with ceramic coating, PPF, and the like. I’m guessing I should make a major investment in publicly-held curb feeler manufacturers and shift my stock portfolio to include them.View attachment 870598
Clearly doesn't work by the state of those rims.

I think as soon as this quarters deliveries start landing. Looking at the new inventory that’s been listed, some of the 3rd party listing sites are saying they don’t have the sensor. Maybe people in Aus or nearer China may have them already, or US cars.
All over Germany cars are being delivered without USS already. So far people are underwhelmed / in shock… Many are new to Tesla and find the dimensions of the cars to be sufficiently different from what they had before to successfully manage the car without the sensors without getting in and out of the car multiple times to check if they are about to run into sth while parking.

All over Germany cars are being delivered without USS already. So far people are underwhelmed / in shock… Many are new to Tesla and find the dimensions of the cars to be sufficiently different from what they had before to successfully manage the car without the sensors without getting in and out of the car multiple times to check if they are about to run into sth while parking.
why get "in and out of the car".... let alone "multiple times".... whilst being "in shock" and "all over Germany"... there are cameras people, press a button on your touchscreen to check your parking! sure it doesn't give distance measurements yet, but it works!

sounds like hyperbole to me !😁

why get "in and out of the car".... let alone "multiple times".... whilst being "in shock" and "all over Germany"... there are cameras people, press a button on your touchscreen to check your parking! sure it doesn't give distance measurements yet, but it works!

But that doesn’t alter the fact that Tesla have implemented a brain dead policy that shows their usual complete contempt for their customers. Any owner with no USS and no viable replacement, perhaps for some considerable time, will be understandably annoyed.

The Tesla cameras remind me of cheap toy cameras that you buy a 4 year-old. Not something I would rely on to park a £60k car.