Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my point. Tesla thinking in action; whilst everyone else installs a sensor they save costs and use tech.
Yes I think it’s pretty smart. They added more Bluetooth sensors along with UWB probably partially with something like this in mind.

I think like others say they might be able to do it without UWB. Something like picks up key near car, person not moving off their phone sensor and person visible in rear view camera say. It is however a lot more faff than just using the UWB they are doing now so I don’t expect them to add this for older cars.

Bit interesting that the UI changes don’t seem to be massive but need the AMD chip. Got to be that it just isn’t quite quick enough on the Intel so rather than give a bad experience they just skip that UI for those cars. It doesn’t read like it’s all that major so nothing much to worry about to be honest.

Reactions: randompixel
Bit interesting that the UI changes don’t seem to be massive
I thought exactly this, from the image it looks to be trying to replicate the layout used by Cybertruck when it is in Park.

1713339524273.png
1713339547478.png

I do like the layout, as you do not really need the map taking up so much screen when stopped. I'm somewhat hoping the larger imagery also means bigger area to tap for an action such as opening the trunk/frunk etc.

What I wonder is if the ambient glow behind the car will change with the colour of the car... would be a subtle but nice touch if it did I think.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
On the boot kick, wonder if they're using the rear camera too?...

Looking forward to Audible. Very limited excitement around the UI changes, even if I do have Ryzen
I don’t think they need to, UWB can pick up your location to the boot and if you are moving all on its own.

What might be more useful but I suspect they won’t do it as it doesn’t auto close would be the frunk doing the same as it doesn’t have a button so you have to get your phone out or go into the car to open it. They could I guess stop you putting it into drive or reverse if left open (Maybe they already do that, not tried).

Of course depends on how well this works, will you get many false positives and the boot opens when you don’t want it. Does it automatically shut as you walk away from the rear? That could be cool also.

Last edited:
Does it automatically shut as you walk away from the rear?
Cue "To me! ... To you!" slapstick boot opening/closing as I get bags from a nearby shopping cart.
Who am I kidding, I'm never seeing this feature.

So far my experience of useful updates is "press once for Autosteer", hardly groundbreaking.
So much for "Gets better over time" splattered 9 foot tall in their salesroom.
I think I'm quite bitter but also understand I've bought second hand which puts me behind to begin with, like buying an older phone.
There's solace in the autopilot, that seems to be the main "All cars" update which actually improves, perhaps the others are more gimmicky but I still want them 🤕 .

I don’t think they need to, UWB can pick up your location to the boot and if you are moving all on its own.

What might be more useful but I suspect they won’t do it as it doesn’t auto close would be the frunk doing the same as it doesn’t have a button so you have to get your phone out or go into the car to open it. They could I guess stop you putting it into drive or reverse if left open (Maybe they already do that, not tried).

Of course depends on how well this works, will you get many false positives and the boot opens when you don’t want it. Does it automatically shut as you walk away from the rear? That could be cool also.
I think "where you're standing" and "intent" are different things. Obviously this is easier with USS, if USS tripped and keys, turn on camera and see if someone is looking at the camera. But anyway :)

If you've got the optional Tesla key, you can double press on the front of the "toy car" and open the frunk, which is pretty handy.
The car warns and refuses to drive at more than ~10mph if the frunk isn't detected as latched

I thought exactly this, from the image it looks to be trying to replicate the layout used by Cybertruck when it is in Park.

View attachment 1039249View attachment 1039250

I do like the layout, as you do not really need the map taking up so much screen when stopped. I'm somewhat hoping the larger imagery also means bigger area to tap for an action such as opening the trunk/frunk etc.

What I wonder is if the ambient glow behind the car will change with the colour of the car... would be a subtle but nice touch if it did I think.
I can agree with this, when I get home (particularly approaching dusk) all the legends down the right side of the screen (headlights/side lights/seat belt etc) block the area for opening the charge port so I have to do this via the battery icon instead.

Hopefully this larger/clearer UI will re-enable one touch opening of the charge port 👍

I can agree with this, when I get home (particularly approaching dusk) all the legends down the right side of the screen (headlights/side lights/seat belt etc) block the area for opening the charge port so I have to do this via the battery icon instead.

Hopefully this larger/clearer UI will re-enable one touch opening of the charge port 👍
you can literally tap the charge port door and it opens... If car is unlocked, of course.

The auto boot opening really will come down to the quality of the implementation - and we know thats not always been successful - how many times have you got out of your car, walked to the back of it, and then waited to cross the road? Maybe not every day but it does happen?

But what about charge port opening/closing using the side camera?

Simple checks like car unlocked first as usual, then use image recognition to see charge cable in hand and open the flap, or if somebody takes hold of the charge cable when plugged in, it stops charging and unlocks the cable - effectively a visiion dictated button push. Now that would be useful

• Love
Reactions: Zedbox and Oxid8ter