Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK HV 90kWh replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My 2015 85D is coming to end of battery/drive train warranty September 2023, so I wanted to find out the rough current cost for a replacement battery if the HV battery died suddenly in October, to make a more informed decision whether I keep the car post warranty (I really am quite inclined to run it into the ground, but want to know what I could be looking at if the worst happens).

Perhaps there's already info on this on the forums, but I struggled to find anything too specific so contacted Tesla directly and asked them for current pricing. I thought I'd share what they quoted. I asked for both the cost of a refurb and a new battery. I received a phone call today, and was quoted £26,750 which I was completely un-prepared for so didn't challenge, but when I later received the quote, both a new and a refurb were included in the parts replaced, as below:

1676999679568.png

If I'm reading this correctly, adding VAT, a refurb 90kWh would cost £9,940 + installation of £386 coming in at £10,326 (1089737-01-A)

A brand new 90kWh would cost £16,430 + install of £386 = £16,816 (1063792-00-B)

The Tesla guy pointed out that these prices fluctuate quite a bit, but I found it useful to get a guide price. He also said my battery condition according to their analysis is in line with other Model S at this age/mileage (129k miles, I calculate the useful battery to be about 67-70kWh depending on conditions based on the wH/mile and SoC)

Fingers crossed this won't be relevant to me (or you) for some years.

Thanks for the info hooky. I have a 2015 P90DL and have been wondering the same thing. My warranty runs out in October this year. I'm currently on about 88.8K miles. Be nice if my model S gets to the same mileage as yours I'll happily get a refurb battery by then maybe even a new one if your price is similar or less to what they are in hopefully 2 more years of use 😀🤞🤞

My current HV battery is V1 1063792-00-A.

On a long journey If going the speed limit 70mph and in dry conditions, range mode on and pre-conditioning the battery I get about 222 miles at 100% SOC, the useable battery is around 73kwh.

Thanks for the info hooky. I have a 2015 P90DL and have been wondering the same thing. My warranty runs out in October this year. I'm currently on about 88.8K miles. Be nice if my model S gets to the same mileage as yours I'll happily get a refurb battery by then maybe even a new one if your price is similar or less to what they are in hopefully 2 more years of use 😀🤞🤞

My current HV battery is V1 1063792-00-A.

On a long journey If going the speed limit 70mph and in dry conditions, range mode on and pre-conditioning the battery I get about 222 miles at 100% SOC, the useable battery is around 73kwh.
Who knows, by then, there maybe 3rd party vendors that produces solid state batteries to replace the Tesla Model S battery. Take a look: Our Next Energy

A Michigan startup doubled a Tesla's range by customizing it with a special battery

I think they'll be producing these batteries by end of 2023.