Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That photo was from Leavesden/Hunton Bridge, where planning was denied, right?
Correct, built in spring 2019 but retrospective planning refused June 2019 so it’s been left for the weeds for over a year now. It’s an unusual case because the refusal was due to the impact on views of the main hotel building which is listed. I can’t imagine Amesbury risks suffering the same fate.

It might be more than a few days if you take Heathrow T5 as an example where extra V3 bays & charger bases have been in place for about 2 months now but not commissioned AFAIK. However I don’t think the stalls and parking signs have been put in at T5 whereas they have at Amesbury so it does look very promising for the new Amesbury Supercharger being live very soon.

Re the new destination chargers at Wyboston Woodlands Events Centre ( a minute or so away from the new superchargers)

I tried these out on 25th Aug, didn't succeed and got the messages below from two of the four. have emailed the venue

wyboston_destination_chargers.png
Looks like the sparky didn't read the setup section properly. No doubt left the rotary switch in the default test position.

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 12.49.30.png

• Funny
Reactions: MrLauriie
We should be on the lookout for battery storage at these V3 sites, given the V3 architecture is designed around connection to storage. So the direct relation between number of cabinets and number of stalls might not hold unless you can be sure exactly what sort of cabinets they are.

I'm not sure what a storage cabinet might look like - we've got South Mimms with conventional PowerPack storage, but that's pre-V3 and has the separate battery cabinets + inverter/charger cabinet (the latter looking quite similar to a V3 supercharger). The idea with the V3 seems to be to cut out the inverter/charger as part of the storage system (using what's in the supercharger instead), so maybe they'd just use the PowerPack storage cabinets on their own, or maybe they will do something different for superchargers.

Keep your eyes peeled!

They look like this....see post #1765. This is six Megapacks as installed at an industrial estate in Holes Bay, Poole recently for grid management/storage.

Holes-Bay-battery-energy-storage-facility-developed-by-Harmony-Energy-and-FRV.jpg

Reactions: petit_bateau
They look like this..

Yes, that's a conventional Megapack - designed for AC connection to distribution networks, batteries and inverters packaged together.

However, V3 superchargers are designed with a DC port for direct connection to batteries (using the power converter modules in the V3 cabinet to charge the external batteries).

So they could use existing Powerpack/Megapack cabinets and leave out the inverter cabinet (easier with Powerpack where it's a separate cabinet than Megapack where it's apparently integrated), or they might have done something separate specifically for Supercharger sites.

Since there don't currently appear to be any V3 sites with storage (certainly in the UK), we don't yet know what the plan is.

Yes, that's a conventional Megapack - designed for AC connection to distribution networks, batteries and inverters packaged together.

However, V3 superchargers are designed with a DC port for direct connection to batteries (using the power converter modules in the V3 cabinet to charge the external batteries).

So they could use existing Powerpack/Megapack cabinets and leave out the inverter cabinet (easier with Powerpack where it's a separate cabinet than Megapack where it's apparently integrated), or they might have done something separate specifically for Supercharger sites.

Since there don't currently appear to be any V3 sites with storage (certainly in the UK), we don't yet know what the plan is.
Have Tesla actually rolled this out anywhere in the world?

Presumably somewhere like Norway would be a prime candidate given the large numbers of Tesla’s and their enormous renewables generation base

Does anyone know what’s happening with SC’s at hearts head moor services on the m62, popped past the eastbound ones and they seem half done and deserted, would like to know as it would be an option for me to use when crisscrossing the Pennines
As I understand, there is an ongoing dispute about getting a power supply routed via the golf course. I believe this is causing the delay which has been going on for some time. Hopefully there are some alternative sites being considered around Brighouse as the Trans pennine motorway needs superchargers.

As an example, recently planning permission was submitted for a supercharger on the motorway in Reading. There are already 2 superchargers in that area which are never close to being full we don't need another charger there!

There's a 4 v2 bays charger at Green Park, so not very much capacity, the new 16 v2 bay at Wokingham is useless in that its a too far from the motorway and tends to be closed as its underwater. Tesla clearly messed up with that location. I can see why Tesla would seize the opportunity for a more sensible location if it became available. I'm sure M42/M1N is also a priority, and Tesla will jump at any chance.