Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not been mentioned here but I spotted a post on the TOUK Facebook page saying that 10 V4 tombstones are already in place at Newmarket just off the A14 in the Studlands retail park.

It’s not on the ‘find us’ map which is probably why it’s been missed until now.

Edit: traffic can be really bad at this junction during rush hour so getting in and out can be a bit of a pain.

So, the Model 3 is now available in white, eh? I wonder how that looks.

Any auditors out there who fancy supercharge.info v (sadly misnamed) TOUK Supercharger Tracker 2022 v TOUK Google map.

I can understand why Tesla might position theirs out of line, bit surely the crowd sourced ones should align???
The TOUK map appears to be accurate to about postcode level, and includes more speculative sites, whereas the supercharge.info reports specific locations identified via a planning drawing or construction on the ground. We've included a link to the TOUK map in this thread's wikipost as it's a useful addition to the supercharge.info database, whereas the latter should be pretty accurate (for the UK sites it's more accurate than Tesla's Findus map which, as well as being sketchy on upcoming sites, is actually missing some open sites like Birmingham - St Andrews/Small Heath (at time of writing) ).
I think the TOUK map is a sole effort whereas supercharge.info has a few editors - and there is a forum to report any errors spotted/suggested updates: forum.supercharge.info.

Last edited:
It’s not been mentioned here but I spotted a post on the TOUK Facebook page saying that 10 V4 tombstones are already in place at Newmarket just off the A14 in the Studlands retail park.

It’s not on the ‘find us’ map which is probably why it’s been missed until now.

Edit: traffic can be really bad at this junction during rush hour so getting in and out can be a bit of a pain.
From the photo, looks like it's at the south end of the shopping park car park - my coordinate estimate: 52.262200, 0.397500:

1697713135403.png

So it's easier to open a new SuC than commission the second bank at Elveden?
Sometimes, yes.

It entirely depends on how easy it is to get power to the site. Elvden is in the middle of nowhere and has a massive centre parks next door lapping up what ever capacity is available on the local grid.

Given this Newmarket site is in the middle of an out of town retail park and how quickly it popped up, it likely had spare capacity available on the existing grid and Tesla just hoovered it all up (hence 10 stalls and not 12 which could be supported on the same 3 cabinets).

Reactions: Sean.
Any idea what grid dimensions Tesla typically use? I know anecdotally that Ionity for example work on 200 kVA per unit. So 12 charge points is around 2.5 MW.
V3 cabinets are 350kVA or 385kVA at 480V input according to their rating plate (there was a change sometime around 2022).
V2 cabinets are 160kVA at 480V input.

All of these superchargers are constrained by a max current rating rather than power - so V2 is 192A per phase and hence 160kVA at 480V or only 126kVA at 380V. Early small sites often used existing available LV power at whatever voltage available (particularly bad in France); larger sites typically with dedicated transformer and so getting more like 440V even with DNO-provided transformers. More recent large sites have (all?) had Tesla-provided transformers to give USA-style 480V and hence run the superchargers at full rated power.

There have been at least some sites with an artificial power limitation applied (ie. below the nominal equipment rating), including some reputed to have dynamic power limiting (sharing supply with some local industrial power user and so able to draw more power at some times of day than others).

V3 cabinets are 350kVA or 385kVA at 480V input according to their rating plate (there was a change sometime around 2022).
V2 cabinets are 160kVA at 480V input.

All of these superchargers are constrained by a max current rating rather than power - so V2 is 192A per phase and hence 160kVA at 480V or only 126kVA at 380V. Early small sites often used existing available LV power at whatever voltage available (particularly bad in France); larger sites typically with dedicated transformer and so getting more like 440V even with DNO-provided transformers. More recent large sites have (all?) had Tesla-provided transformers to give USA-style 480V and hence run the superchargers at full rated power.

There have been at least some sites with an artificial power limitation applied (ie. below the nominal equipment rating), including some reputed to have dynamic power limiting (sharing supply with some local industrial power user and so able to draw more power at some times of day than others).
Thanks. Yeah I don’t expect that Tesla would size their grid requirement based on the max power draw as that would be (statistically speaking) madness. So I’d expect something in the order of 2/3 of max power output of all cabinets.

Thanks. Yeah I don’t expect that Tesla would size their grid requirement based on the max power draw as that would be (statistically speaking) madness. So I’d expect something in the order of 2/3 of max power output of all cabinets.
You'd expect (in the absence of local factors forcing something sub-optimal) that the supply connection would be sized for the full input rating of the cabinets. That already contains a significant scaling factor compared to the output rating: 385kVA input for a cabinet that can in principle have four outputs at 250kW each, 1MW total (plus conversion losses). Presumably the spec of the V3 cabinets was designed on the basis of statistical data gathered from usage of the V2 fleet.

You'd expect (in the absence of local factors forcing something sub-optimal) that the supply connection would be sized for the full input rating of the cabinets. That already contains a significant scaling factor compared to the output rating: 385kVA input for a cabinet that can in principle have four outputs at 250kW each, 1MW total (plus conversion losses). Presumably the spec of the V3 cabinets was designed on the basis of statistical data gathered from usage of the V2 fleet.
Ok gotcha. So swings and roundabouts Tesla max grid capacity would be 38.5% of the theoretical max draw from all pedestals.

So a 12 pedestal v3 or v4 site would use a 1.2 MW grid connection or a smidge under 100 kW average per pedestal.

Ok gotcha. So swings and roundabouts Tesla max grid capacity would be 38.5% of the theoretical max draw from all pedestals.

So a 12 pedestal v3 or v4 site would use a 1.2 MW grid connection or a smidge under 100 kW average per pedestal.
which makes sense.
because max power input into car is up to 10-15% of SOC and then drops.

1697803891822.png

average output of SC probably in the region of 120 kw at best

1697803973484.png

Reactions: Sean.
which makes sense.
because max power input into car is up to 10-15% of SOC and then drops.

View attachment 983804

average output of SC probably in the region of 120 kw at best

View attachment 983805

That's more a function of battery chemistry and the car's BMS though.