Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*.8.7 is definitely a bug fix

Service mode shows it only updated a few modules like the security gateway, VCFRONT and, for some reason, both parking brakes.

I've got a feeling it has rolled back on AP too as it's back to braking hard for cars waiting at junctions.

Just downloaded 2024.8.7 and took it for a spin.

So with these matrix lights (which worked great) do I now just left high beams on all the time? As I assume the matrix element doesn’t work when the high beam is off.

Got 8.7 last night and today took a drive (and back down) to Everything Electric in the incredibly variable weather. The wipers were absolutely horrific. Initially, loads of dry wiping to the point I turned off auto-wipers. Then on the way back with heavy rain the wipers would do their job, then suddenly decide they’d had enough and stop, despite the pouring rain.

Up until a couple of versions ago my auto-wipers were pretty decent, but the update they did has absolutely trashed them.

Reactions: nufan
The wipers are unfathomably hit & miss. I drove in moderate rain a week or so ago & the wipers worked pretty much perfectly. Both daytime and in the dark on the same day. Yesterday and this morning they were completely and utterly useless and barely activated in a similar amount of rain, so I had to turn them onto the III setting manually.

If they were more consistent it wouldn't be quite so annoying but you never know what they will do from drive to drive.
On a short 10 minute journey yesterday the wipers were perfect for the first 3 minutes. Then the rain eased but the wipers didn't. Still wiping away. Then the rain got heavier but the wipers didn't keep up.

Other journeys they work well. Makes me think they are never going to work as I am used to (from other cars). Still. Gives me something to talk about when folk ask how I'm finding it. (Lots of positives with a "buuuuut" at the end)

Think yourselves lucky with all the changes .7 brings. The only change I see on my legacy MX, which got .7 a couple of nights back, is that the indicators are now just an arrow rather than an arrow in a circle, and I think that appeared on one of the previous updates.
No comment on the wipers as I am convinced that any noticeable changes (improvements or otherwise) are purely random and unrelated to the updates. Invariably just when I convince myself the wipers are better they revert back to type!

Not this again. The wipers are exactly the same as they were before, the only reason you're seeing a difference is because the weather has changed ever so slightly
I recognise that some people perceive change when hoping for change. But the notion that absolutely no tweaks to the wiper algorithm are ever made when the firmware is updated seems unfounded. Yet on this forum it is verboten to suggest it. At the same time people often suggest that AP behaviour has changed and that is accepted. Why is one accepted fact and the other dismissed as imagination? I find some aspects of the forum lore here quite amusing.

I recognise that some people perceive change when hoping for change. But the notion that absolutely no tweaks to the wiper algorithm are ever made when the firmware is updated seems unfounded. Yet on this forum it is verboten to suggest it. At the same time people often suggest that AP behaviour has changed and that is accepted. Why is one accepted fact and the other dismissed as imagination? I find some aspects of the forum lore here quite amusing.
Behaviour that to all intents and purposes is not reproducible can be written off as “noise”, in my opinion.

Often when people herald that an update has improved auto wipers their testing is entirely unscientific, they went for a drive and it seemed better. I tend to think auto wipers has a very narrow set of ideal operating conditions, and within those bounds it works really well. When it drops out of those bounds they are conspicuously bad.

At this point - 4 years in - if Tesla aren’t making a big song and dance about auto wipers having been improved, explicitly in the release notes, then my feeling is that people’s perceptions of updates improving them is basically psychological, i.e. wish fulfillment.