Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Minor Accident.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On first inspection, the owner of the body shop told me $12k to $15k. But that's when he thought he could repair the carbon fiber body panel, not have to replace it. And he didn't know about the underbody aluminum panel dent then either.

That side carbon fiber panel is huge. It goes from in front of the door to behind the charge port door, and includes all the attachments for the door, door sill, charge port door, and trunk lid.

Wheel will be replaced. That's the easiest and cheapest thing to replace.

I've confirmed all the parts needed are in stock with Tesla and can be shipped immediately ... except one. There's an interior trim piece that cracked. What, you say? How could an interior trim piece have cracked? Well, you know that large gap under the door into which road debris constantly collects? Well turns out that if you slam you car *backwards* into an embankment littered with chunks of ice, it's really easy for that ice to do damage up in there, including cracking an interior trim piece.

I can return later with the car to get that piece replaced once it arrives. Don't want that to hold up the rest of the repair.

Bummer about the accident

Unfortunately I've learned the hard way that if there's no collision it's your fault. I was riding a motorcycle when a woman pulled out in front of me. I hit some sand and the bike went down and got a couple of good scratches and bent handle bars. When the cop showed up he actually told me "You should have let her hit you because now its your fault." The lady stayed and admitted to pulling out in front of me. The insurance claimed it as a "not at fault accident."

It may be different in your state but that's how it is in SC.

I've confirmed all the parts needed are in stock with Tesla and can be shipped immediately.

Oops, this wasn't true. Tesla missed a part on the parts order list, the side body panel. Turns out that part was not in stock, and I'd have to wait 3 weeks. Tesla is drop shipping that part directly from the UK to the body shop. Will arrive by the end of next week. Then it will be 2 weeks from then before I'll get the car back. Turns out the work with that particular part is the critical path and most time consuming of the whole repair.

When all is finally done, I will be without my car for about 6-7 weeks.

Repair estimate has inched up some more, now looking at about $25k. Yes, State Farm insurance is covering it without complaint, so far at least. The body shop I'm using specializes in exotic cars, and I think the insurance adjusters know him well, and know what's involved to repair these types of cars.