Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber Luxury Qualified

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I signed up to be an Uber driver last week and on my way home tonight I finally turned on the app. I signed up thinking it would be fun and it was! I picked up a nice family from Australia and I think I had just as much fun as they did, lol.

They had just finished eating dinner and needed a ride back to their hotel. When I pulled up they couldn't believe I was their ride. They were taking pictures and asking all kinds of questions. It was a lot of fun!

I answer questions about my car all the time only this time I got paid to do it! lol

I'll definitely do it again when I have an hour or two to kill :D

Great story! And with the bonus of being able to educate potential future Tesla buyers.

Here's my recent experience with my Model S and UberLux:

I decided to sign up for similar reasons as the OP. I have down time and it would be fun to drive around in my Model S and get paid! I turned on the App and pretty quickly I got my 1st call. Within 24 hours and about 120 miles total driving I Net'd about $100.
For some reason my car is on UberLux but I do not have any commercial license etc. (I'll take it!!)
I decided to talk to my insurance guy because the Uber insurance only covers $50k. Comp/Collision which of course is not enough. Basically I learned that my Hartford insurance will drop me if I do any sort of ridsharing, so needless to say the one day I was an uber driver will more that likely be my last!
Moral here is: Make sure your insurance covers you while ridesharing because they can determine by the app that you were in "trolling" mode. If something does happen you'll be left to pay for both cars out of pocket.

@nomogas
The non trip is only $25k and most personal insurance will not cover this period. It looks like it's a gap in the policies.
During the time when you have a rider there's only $50k collision, which would obviosly not replace a totaled MS.
Again, here most or NO personal insurances (that I can find) do not cover any ride sharing activity.

• $50,000 of contingent comprehensive and collision insurance.* If a ridesharing driver holds personal comprehensive and collision insurance this policy covers physical damage to that vehicle that occurs during a trip, for any reason, up to $50,000 and with a $1,000 deductible.
Screen-Shot-2015-01-20-at-8.06.44-AM.png

I've been looking at starting a business that uses UberLux and Black Model Ses to ferry people around.

Got a quote of Commercial Auto Insurance, for 2 drivers with DOB 1/1/1970, and 2 model Ses, valued at $80,000, you're looking at about 14k a year.

so 7k a year for each model S, which is about 585 per month.

(Thats with garaging in Irvine Orange County).

So yeah, if you can make more than 585 per month, then its kinda worth it. Then you can get fares at up to UberLux.

But I'm definitely not gonna be using my P85D for UberX lol, too much chance of drunk people