Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“In my opinion, the value of Tesla will rise considerably in the coming months and years, possibly putting any take-private beyond the reach of any investors,” Mr. Musk said Saturday in an email to The Wall Street Journal. “It was now or perhaps never.”

This is it. This explains a lot- Elon’s rush to announce $420 price which was 20% premium. He believed It was his last chance to go private right after Saudi investment news that could have cause stock price out of reach.

Unless Elon’s lying (unlikely as we all know), from what he told WSJ, I believe Tesla will take off after Q3 earning if not before. Tomorrow/this week’s drop (due to mass FUD/attacks) will be another great chance to add.

You now have H2 stations all over CA. Royal Dutch Shell is building pumps at exisitng stations as fast as they can in the UK. Japan and China are both growing H2 capabilities.

But we are getting off topic of this thread. Feel free to PM me and I can link you to Keith Malone who heads up the California state Hydrogen movement. His newsletters are fascinating with all of the stuff going on around the world.

And for those that may not know, every H2 vehicle is an EV. So if you any of you think I am pro ICE you have definitely not been following my articles.

The only positive I can think that FCH has over BEV is filling time, and even this will become more irrelevant over time as charging speeds increase.

In all other respects it's so inferior it's a joke, aside the danger of handling the stuff. Totally beyond my as to why anyone would think it's a worthwhile avenue to pursue, except in the case of niche applications.

I'm 4 pages into 12 catching-up from yesterday, I hope it's not all Don's posts, because they're getting quite tiresome... Makes me almost miss the shorty-birds...

So based on what I’m reading on $TWTR and here about the WSJ article I have a super hard time convincing myself that the SP is going to drop tomorrow
Unless I’m missing something $TSLA should soar
Can’t wait for premarket

Never forget that applying logic to $TSLA is like herding cats...

This is typical negative stuff written right as stock opens @8.00am in Frankfurt to manipulate potential investors. They know SP will change positive later on, so they bring "the news" at this time of the day.
Frankfurt, sure, the influence of german Carmanufactures, has been negative about Tesla as long as I can think.

Agreed, they are up on their heels crying going private was a bad idea and reversing that is even worse. But there is not much substance to it. All they can do is questioning Elon and his credibility or claiming there was no investor which is a joke.

Rumor is that VW tried to get a stake and I call this likely. It makes sense for VW and explains partly why Elon did not want that money.... its more bad for PR than taking cash from the Saudis.

Remember when Daimer sold their stake years ago? Called it out as one of the most stupid decisions.

All of that will evaporate quickly into .... nothing.

Given that there is so much negativity for nothing out I wanted to post something positive for those of us speaking German. Good to see some fair balanced and decent reporting still exists. Its an endangered animal though...

Die Wettbewerbsvorteile von Tesla gegenüber den deutschen Autoherstellern

P.S. CNBC is calling out a drop of Tesla shares in Germany of 5% based on a not mentioned volume of 13k shares.....lol

" On Monday and Tuesday, advisers from Goldman and Silver Lake plowed ahead on a deal that might work.

By Wednesday evening, they had a presentation for Mr. Musk, proposing a roster of deep-pocketed investors, including Volkswagen and Silver Lake itself, that had agreed to contribute as much as $30 billion, people familiar with the matter said.

They weren't the kind of investors Mr. Musk had in mind. He was deeply suspicious of rival car companies, believing they wanted to piggyback on what he called the "Tesla halo." He also was lamenting a loss of small investors, who had been his most vocal champions.

Finally, the deal team advised him, the money would likely come with strings attached: The new investors would want a lot of say in the company, and each would likely want to hammer out terms of their own.

The following day, Thursday, the board meeting was convened at the Tesla factory conference room. Mr. Musk had told some board members earlier in the day that he had doubts about the proposal, according to people familiar with the matter.

The advisers said they were confident it could be done, and then left."

WSJ: Funding Was Secured, but Elon Walked Away : teslamotors

TSLA Pre-market on NASDAQ:
Opened at $310.00
Low $305.20 (04:01:14 AM)
3,794 shares traded in first 2 min.

That 8-ball's looking somewhat prescient.

Just a quick market action update:
  • Macro is generally green:
    • NASDAQ futures up +0.4% over the weekend, with some pullback in the European session
    • DOW futures up +0.4% as well: both were probably weekend reflection on the generally dovish Fed comments from Friday and some expected dollar weakening perhaps due to Fed signaled risk-off.
  • This macro environment would normally boost $TSLA by a dollar or two, but TSLA was down to a low of $303 before recovering to $308.
  • Much of the drop was in the initial minute on less than 2k shares traded - follow-up volume since then has increased to 65k shares which is higher than usual - but not comparable to the high volume pre-market trading after the infamous David Gelles NYT interview induced panic selloff.
  • Note that both buying and selling appears to be present, with narrower than usual pre-market spreads.
  • The $320 barrier of last week is obviously gone. :)
  • There was new peak FUD about the going-private deal over the weekend, so big buyers, if they materialize, won't mind a mark-down in the share price. It's also unclear what the balance of big buyers vs. big sellers is going to be.
Today is certainly going to be an interesting day...

A few months ago Panasonic market cap reached almost $35B but right it is just under $30B.

If you are only interested in automotive and energy storage batteries I suppose a prospective buyer could sell the rest.

+1

However, I’d add, it’s not easy to buy Japanese companies that are not in trouble and/or don’t want to be bought.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
yes, hydrogen is difficult to make viable, financially impossible if its renewable.
but
600 nonstop miles is definitely not long distance. any any distance which is nonstop with a single driver is not long distance. whats permitted varies between jurisdictions, but 600miles is not long distance.

600 miles in a single leg IS long distance. 600 miles is about 9 hours, driver can go 8 with a thirty minute rest and continue for up to another 6 before 14 hour rest requirement. In this scenario the 30 minute stop should enable another 400 miles of travel which the semi should be able to recharge to at a mega charger. So different than a 2 driver operation with a sleeper but certainly in the ballpark.

Fire Away,

Reactions: UrsS and neroden
Hope so! I’d like to see Tesla not only influence the narrative, but control it.

Not gonna happen until VW or GM/Ford/Chrysler are #5-#6 global advertisers in almost every advanced market they are seriously present in, and Tesla is ranked #17,576 advertiser on a list of 17,576 companies.

Tesla should not try to control the narrative, because, to borrow a term from rocketry, they don't have the control authority.

Instead Tesla PR should just lean back and make friends in the media wherever possible by being accessible and giving cool test drives to anyone who asks like Jay Leno asked, and execute corporate plans. After all leaning back and having a beer instead of a coke before the big debate is what would have made Al Gore president.

Oh, and fund Pravduh ASAP: FUD-busting would be so much easier with a global, neutral search engine of article ratings and flow of information/quotes charts, with identification and rating of key players. For example every time David Gelles of the New York Times quotes a Jim Chanos associate without disclosing that the quote is from the social environment of a big short seller, it would be marked on Pravduh as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.