Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times has Elon lied about getting profitable? How many times has he failed? And what about the lawsuits currently forming and Tesla is required to build allowances for these lawsuits? They are built over the P&L hence influencing Q3 results significantly (US GAAP). And what about the latest SeekingAlpha Article stating that Q3 results might even be worse then the net loss of 2XX millions? They are saying it might be 350 millions (net loss) for Q3. They do also have these numbers from somewhere?...

And what about the Bloomberg tracker now showing only 4000 vehicles produced in the following 3 weeks? What is going on? I do not believe anything anymore that Elon Musk is telling to the public.

One thing is for sure: If he does not proof to be both profitable (significantly) in both Q3 and Q4 (after cutting jobs and ramping up production) - the shorts will short that thing down to 150 - 200$.
Ignore

If the $320 barrier was installed by a big player who knew/suspected the remaining-public decision: in this case it appears clear to me that they expect the Monday price to go up eventually and wanted to front run that rise in the price.
The super low volume Friday tells us that big players knew something was up. If they expected the price to increase Monday wouldn't they be accumulating at least at normal volume instead of waiting by the sidelines?

I see some loser posting about lawsuits etc
I personally lost well over a million dollars on August 7th after the $420 tweet having to sell 2020 and 2019 OTM calls and switching into ITM 2019s
Am I suing Elon Musk or Tesla?
No, never!
There is something called personal responsibility
If you can’t handle the heat don’t go into the kitchen
Too many losers in this world trying to make money off suing others
Totally disgusting

Last edited:
If we compare the situuation today with the situation just before The Tweet, I ‘d say the net effect would be that more TSLA shares are now owned by the ‘you can pry my TSLA from my cold dead hands’ crowd.
I would guess that the people here dat added to their position will keep their shares indefinitely (I added too, though I didn’t post that here), only a small portion seems to have bought to keep the shares untill the 420 dollar buyout.
Net effect to mee seems that strong longs have more TSLA, weak longs will buy back what they sold, causing upward price pressure.

Yep. I increased my cold-dead-hands position by 16%.

My only worry is Elon will be stamped a liar by lots of pundits and detractors. I personally find it admirable to able to take advice and change your mind on any issue of new information comes up. There are those who want to be right, and there are those who want to get it right. Elon is the latter.

I don't see the price dropping dramatically on Monday - what would be the logical reason for that? But then again when has the stock market ever acted logically?

The media will always bash Elon and paint him in a negative light. The only way to change in investor sentiment is to deliver us the goods. Give us 6k, give us cash flow positive, give us v9 software update move onto 8k,and all will be forgotten. Keep focus and produce produce produce.

...If the $320 barrier was installed by a big player who knew/suspected the remaining-public decision: in this case it appears clear to me that they expect the Monday price to go up eventually and wanted to front run that rise in the price...
The super low volume Friday tells us that big players knew something was up. If they expected the price to increase Monday wouldn't they be accumulating at least at normal volume instead of waiting by the sidelines?

They may have been preparing to load up on shares being sold by shorts and weak longs during a potential volume surge early on Monday. Restrictions due to related inside knowledge would have been in effect in recent days but are now set aside.

Last edited:
And so it begins.....

How Tesla's Suppliers May Have Killed Elon Musk's Private Dream

When a reporter called me on August 7, just minutes after Musk’s fateful tweet asking for a comment on a privatization deal, I was immediately skeptical. I was skeptical for the same reasons that I have long given when asked about the possibility of any other company launching a takeover of Tesla. Tesla is too expensive and offers too little of value for any other responsible corporate leader to even consider an acquisition. On top of that Elon Musk is too much of a liability.

For a company that builds so few vehicles, has only ever reported two profitable quarters (and just barely at that) and has no fundamental technological advantage that can’t be replicated, paying $50-80 billion would have been insane. The only thing the company has of distinct value is its brand, and while that will probably eventually get acquired, the products are not compelling to competitors.

I see 3 forces at play on Monday

1. For people who betted on the deal going through, it is bad news and they might sell out of fear, or to trim position.
2. For people who betted on the deal not going through, this removes the uncertainty which might allow them to move forward
3. Haters and shorts will continue to do what they have always been doing – spread FUD and short during time of uncertainty

Pushing a privatization plan that eventually fails could be disruptive and negatively impact share price, so it is natural for people afraid of the consequence to sell in anticipation of the eventual failure. Based on the price action of the last 3 weeks, where we had an initial jump followed by mostly declines, my guess is that the second group far outnumbers the first.

I think the price action will be dominated by what people in the second group would do on Monday. Since these people sold due to fear of failed plan, let’s look at what these fears might have been:

1. Elon pushing the plan against reasons and in the process destroying board/investor trust and disrupting norm operation
2. Elon exposing his character and mental defects
3. Elon losing credibility

Elon making a quick decision yesterday largely eliminated the fear #1 and #2 – his action and well-written letter showed that he was rational and clear minded, listens to others, and willing to do the right thing when called for. The only damage was that he lost a little bit of credibility by starting something he couldn’t finish ;)

Based on this, I would not be surprised to see some initial drop in share price (due to group #1 and #3) on Monday and then followed by buying (due to group #2.) We could easily get back to pre-tweet price of $340-350 by end of week.

I think Twitter and this forum are very different modes of communication and conversation. Those who want can follow you on Twitter and tweet back, retweet and what-not on that platform. Many prefer a medium where more than 140 characters can be used, in order to properly lay out sometimes more complex arguments and ideas.

It's my personal opinion that posting all your tweets via copy-paste from Twitter to this thread a couple of seconds after tweeting is spammy. Of course you could make a post here with the same content, or a longer version.

Please provide link to the above captioned quote.

Staying Public

My favorite part of Tesla the IR letter:

We’ve shown that we can make great sustainable energy products, and we now need to show that we can be sustainably profitable. With all the progress we’ve made on Model 3, we’re positioned to do this, and that’s what the team and I are going to be putting all of our efforts toward.

As a retail investor with 95% TSLA stock in retirement accounts, I was ecstatic to learn Tesla is staying public. With +5,000/wk M3, +1,000 MX/wk and +1,000 MS/wk deliveries, and increasing, the cars themselves will market the Mission. In Toronto, Ontario, Canada, I now see a Tesla every couple of kilometres driven. They are gaining traction.

As for the FUD, I am no longer concerned. It has now become a case of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. General Public is getting tired of all the doomsday FUDsters declaring Tesla bankwupt for years over ever changing reasons why. Yet here is Tesla on the cusp of the greatest success story ever written. Now I ask you, which side do you want to ride on?

I guess it's fair game now to speculate on TSLA getting added to S&P 500. you can keep an eye on ANET to vicariously live thru when such announcement might be made, for TSLA, most likely around this time next year.

The ANET addition was announced Thursday after close, though it looks like the news was leaked / guessed. It was up 9% on Friday, though the addition is effective only Tuesday the 28th.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Status
Not open for further replies.