Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody see Randy Carlson's article on SA this morning? While I typically ignore most of the articles there written by the usual suspects, I always read Randy's and this is a great one.

Of course 90% of the comments are written by bots or shorts, but the article is definitely worth the read.

ELON LIKED THIS ARTICLE - ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO READ IT AND SHARE WITH FRIENDS AND CONTACTS VIA TWITTER, FACEBOOK ETC

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-ful...-involvement-with-the-Thai-cave-rescue-effort

Thanks for that. And now we know the rest of the story... There is much hate toward Elon. Dunno why. I know one guy who said it's because people can forgive lots of things, but they'll never forgive you for being smarter than they are. When they asked that Vern guy what he thought of Elon's plan, the dude went straight to the obvious painful sexual euphemism. Kinda creepy, indeed...

Two Tesla short sellers are scheduled to be interviewed on CNBC in a few mintues between 11:45 and 12:15 EDT. They are Atlantic Investment Management CEO Alexander Roepers and Kynikos Associates Managing Partner James Chanos. Interviewers will be CNBC contributor and frequent Tesla bull Guy Adami, and CNBC anchor Melissa Lee wife of Baird analyst Ben Kallo who has an outperform rating on Tesla.

EDIT: The given times are those for the scheduled Delivering Alpha interviews. It appears that the CNBC broadcast of them will be delayed a bit.

The following link is an article written by Alexander Roepers in November 2017.
Tesla: Priced for Perfection and Then Some

I like to read people's old writings, because after various events, it's easier to see what have been right and wrong. In this process I can learn valuable lessons. Also it helps me to identify people that I can add to my ignore list or learn-from list.

It's not difficult to understand what the author was talking about. Seems to me he did his homework on Tesla, made some predictions about production capacity into 2020. In this regard it's pretty decent.

What's lacking in his writing is creativity. Using Netflix as an illustration, in the early years Netflix was a DVD rental company. I remember a few friends discussing why it's a good investment. At the time the stock was just over two dollars (after splits). Then we thought the company should stream movies online, then it could go up a lot. A year later the CEO confirmed they were developing software to do online streaming.

Based on how Mr. Roepers analyzed Tesla, if he were analyzing Netflix in the early years, he probably would have written a lot about the DVD distribution business model and how costly to scale up, and how over priced the stock was. Missing the forest for the trees.

He didn't mention how advanced Tesla's products are, compared with legacy products, and how much the customers love the cars. He didn't mention the $5000+$3000 software is unheard of in car industry. These have zero marginal cost, and 80% Tesla buyers order the $5000 option. Fundamentally, production scale can be addressed in many ways. How great is the team, the products, the addressable market, the competition... these are far more important than "if Tesla can achieve 1 million cars in 2020". What if Tesla couldn't achieve it in 2020, but achieved in 2021. I don't think that should change the valuation by much.

I learned corporate finance and business accounting from a top MBA school. As Warren Buffett said, these classes are not that helpful for real investment success. I agree with him. Those money managers who can only see trees will miss the forest. This type of people who short TSLA is coming to a rude awakening.

Indeed, the Autoline host does express some pretty bearish opinions on Tesla. He's very concerned that, even with a profitable Model 3, Tesla won't be able to stem its cash burn and will need to continue raising capital to survive. He also trots out the "long tailpipe" argument that EVs aren't all that clean and that they're worse than ICE cars in countries like China that burn much coal, while neglecting to mention that China is rapidly adding renewables to its power mix. In the US, the data show that EVs are less carbon intensive than ICEs even in the regions that still burn large amounts of coal.

If you haven't listened to the whole video, it's worth an hour if you are heavily into Tesla as an investment.
Warning: the host expresses his own views, and at one point describes himself as a "Tesla skeptic"

"Munro includes labor, factory floor cost, taxes and SG&A for OEM or Tier Suppliers." http://leandesign.com/pdf/Tesla-3-Analysis-Sales-Information.pdf It estimates potential margins rather than describing what is, or will be, achieved

Obviously not. CATL announced the location where they are going to build one just some days ago. :D

In case one missed it, the smile stands for: CATL plans to build a battery factory for BMW.

So does this hurt Germany's chance of getting a gigafactory built there?

As much as I'd love to have a Tesla factory in Germany, the actual government and their lobby-friends are best described as not supportive, if not a group of objectors. Since germany started the energy transformation, one could observe mutliple steps back and rules that prevent electromobility and clean energy to grow fast enough.

Examples:

"Ladesäulenverordnung", that outbreaked the Supercharger and Chademo Deploiment and even brought private crowd sourced ev-groups to overthink their charging deploiments.

"Sun-tax" - Now if you put Solar panels on your roof, that produce more than 10kwp, you have to pay a tax for the self produced and self consumed energy!

And yeah the KBA (Federal Motor Transport Authority) brought up this 2.000€ EV-Incentive and maybe had week long headakes, because they couldn't figure out, how to exclude Tesla without getting punished by the EU. Therefore they invented a max 60k € limit.

Tesla probably could find easier places to build a Gigafactory, but if they can build it were the people are most medial influenced and at the mercy of ICE and their pollution - it would be a benchmark to future generations. Hopefully the political attitude transforms soon.

Well and at least there are a lot of good skilled workers and engineers that could add to the process.

Last edited:
In case one missed it, the smile stands for: CATL plans to build a battery factory for BMW.
To be honest, it's only half a Gigafactory (~14 GWh or so) and it will take until 2022 to build it. But i think it's not exclusive for BMW and they are trying to get other automakers into the boat and upgrade capacity.

"Ladesäulenverordnung"As much as I'd love to have a Tesla factory in Germany, the actual government and their lobby-friends are best described as not supportive, if not a group of objectors. Since germany started the energy transformation, one could observe mutliple steps back and rules that prevent electromobility and clean energy to grow fast enough.

You are right that they are currently slowing down the transition to EVs. They seem to want to protect the local car industry until they get their sh.t together, which i think they will over the next few years. The "Ladesäulenverordnung" is a pretty good example for this. Regarding the "Sun-tax" i tend to disagree. German electricity consumers are currently paying about €30b per year (EEG-Umlage) more, to support the transition to renewables and it will stay at that level until 2035 or something like that. That's a lot of money. I'm fine with the current amount, but wouldn't want it to be much more, since there are some other things, that are in dire need of additional money.

We also seem to get a bit more of a problem with net stability, since options to store a large amount of electricity are very limited right now.

Last edited:
Regarding factory location, why not Norway? I realise it's perhaps not the best place logistically, but surely would have a really warm reception from the government and population. Probably no chance of saboteurs there! Plus would be a bit of a thank you for their massive EV adoption.

A bit frustrating price action today. It seems to be slowly climbing to a green close, but boy it's slow.

Edit: just as I say that, it pops up again...

I hope Tesla buys this report as well. Having a cold eyes review done by an industry expert (team) could be enlightening. Everyone has their blind spots.

At the same time I also wish Munro revisited the build quality issues with later VINs. Fact is, Tesla did not have the budget and time to build a captive fleet of 1000 vehicles and test them for 2 years. As much as I like the company, I would be very hesitant to buy an early build of any of their cars for that reason.

Two more years without a Model 3? I’ll take my chances.

Regarding factory location, why not Norway? I realise it's perhaps not the best place logistically, but surely would have a really warm reception from the government and population. Probably no chance of saboteurs there! Plus would be a bit of a thank you for their massive EV adoption.

A bit frustrating price action today. It seems to be slowly climbing to a green close, but boy it's slow.

Edit: just as I say that, it pops up again...

While I'm sure the Norwegians would love it, I would suppose that the labor costs there would be prohibitive. Just did a quick OK Google search and the typical work week in Norway is anywhere from 37 to 38 hours, they are heavily unionized, and have some of the highest wages for workers in Europe.

Don't get me wrong, for the support they've given Tesla, they deserve something, but a Gigafactory there would probably be way too expensive for Tesla's current needs.

And I'm half Norwegian!

You poke fun but there are people on other forums that are seriously trying out this new short goal post movement.

The irony of this is I believe Tesla will be close to 2 months best case delivery of my P3 from the moment I confirmed.

Implication of only 40,000 worth of overall P and AWD demand makes no sense. Also not a static figure once it’s in the wild and people can experience in show rooms.

Shorts can take their goal post and stick it where it hurts. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.