Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is why the Market does not trust the 5000 per week sustained production:

Tesla pulled out all the stops in the final week of June to meet its goal of making 5,000 Model 3s in a week, according to employees who spoke to Reuters.

Whether Tesla can do it week in and week out - and without relying on overtime and extra hands - is another question, and one that weighed on investors Monday, as shares slumped 2.3 percent.
This is bull*sugar - and you just keep spreading it. The market is heavily manipulated and it does not mean anything (I see your "logic": Mr Market knows better so by looking at the price now we definitely know Tesla never did 5000/week). I'm so tempted to add at this price now, need to find dry powder.

Appears you could have waited until near close for around $10 less at this rate.
Can’t believe we’ll have a ~$50 swing in just 2 days.

I have a little bit left over change to buy some more, waiting for rock bottom, but not entirely happy to see this large swing. The bears are probably rejoicing these questionable analysts casting doubts all over TSLA. Well, let them get burnt later on. We win some, we lose some...

Can someone enlighten me on how to understand if my long shares are being lent out to short sellers? How do I control it if they are available?

It depends on your brokerage and their terms of service. Some will do it no matter what (but can be stopped if you have an active order out for your shares, like "sell at 600 good till call)". Some will only do it if you have a margin account signed up; some will do it only if you have margin actively being utilized, and some will only do it with explicit permission.

If you don't know what short selling is, look it up.

Thanks. I did (some time ago), and came up with a couple of questions:
Is it correct that the same share can be shorted multiple times?
A lends 1 share to B who sells it to C, A and B now have a contract between them where B has to buy the share back to return it to A (also a broker is involved in this contract, to ensure that B remains able to meet the buy-back obligation).

But the buyer C of the shorted share would presumably not know that it was sold by a short seller and may want to get paid by lending it out to a short seller (maybe B but maybe more likely someone else, D), who sells it to E. As far as I can see, as long as there is a willing lender and a willing short seller (and a buyer), then the same share can be shorted multiple times, or no?

Also, If A and B have sufficiently different opinions of the stock issuing company, then I guess A could decide to buy back their own share from B (causing A to equal C), or no?

Further, is it correct that someone who has lent out their shares to a short seller cannot attend a stockholder's meeting - since they do not actually own the stock, only the right to demand to get it back ?

Similarly, if the stock issuing company decides to pay out a dividend, who receives it? (I would presume E, because if not then the shorted share should be sold at a discount, equal to the value of the dividend - and I never heard that shorted shares were sold at a discount. Not that I have heard much).

If these questions make no sense, then I apologize in advance.

Reactions: neroden and abasile
Status
Not open for further replies.