Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure about a short "attack", but certainly today's news on the reservation cancellation rate will encourage bears.

What about the fact that the new orders are greater than the cancellations, so the net order are up? Or is that an inconvenient truth?

Although to be fair, we have no idea if this report is accurate either.

What about the fact that the new orders are greater than the cancellations, so the net order are up? Or is that an inconvenient truth?

Although to be fair, we have no idea if this report is accurate either.

So:
— hundreds of thousands have canceled
(some portion of which upgraded to S or X)

— tens of thousands have been delivered

— reservations are as high as they’ve ever been

Demand confirmed!

I am not sure about a short "attack", but certainly today's news on the reservation cancellation rate will encourage bears.

Really? I think it having the exact opposite effect when you consider that even with an ~25% cancellation, there are still ~450,000 reservations for Model 3's and that many (possibly a substantial amount) of these cancellations were to upgrade to an S or an X because they wanted a Tesla so bad. IMHO that's cause for celebration!

I think we need to wait for confirmation from Tesla on the Model 3 refund issue. Just looking at a refunded credit card transaction does not tell you anything about final deposition of the reservation. For example, a customer actually buying the Model 3 may have a refund on the reservation and make an order deposit or final payment through additional transactions. Notice that the refund rate has increased with production, which would be consistent with refunding reservation deposits in coordination with selling the Model 3 cars.

Only Tesla and the customer should have full visibility into this. Not even a single bank would have complete information on the actual sales transaction. So I'd be wary of a third party looking at anonymized data.

Shorts especially should be wary of fools gold here because if the refunds are in fact linked to sales, then these stats will continue to go up even as production and deliveries increase. So shorts are likely to feel encouraged about their position at just the time as Model 3 sales are boosting the income statement.

I think we need to wait for confirmation from Tesla on the Model 3 refund issue. Just looking at a refunded credit card transaction does not tell you anything about final deposition of the reservation. For example, a customer actually buying the Model 3 may have a refund on the reservation and make an order deposit or final payment through additional transactions. Notice that the refund rate has increased with production, which would be consistent with refunding reservation deposits in coordination with selling the Model 3 cars.

Only Tesla and the customer should have full visibility into this. Not even a single bank would have complete information on the actual sales transaction. So I'd be wary of a third party looking at anonymized data.

Shorts especially should be wary of fools gold here because if the refunds are in fact linked to sales, then these stats will continue to go up even as production and deliveries increase. So shorts are likely to feel encouraged about their position at just the time as Model 3 sales are boosting the income statement.
Yes, the Q2 delivery update is going to be fascinating.

• Love
Reactions: Irishjugg
For example, a customer actually buying the Model 3 may have a refund on the reservation and make an order deposit or final payment through additional transactions. Notice that the refund rate has increased with production, which would be consistent with refunding reservation deposits in coordination with selling the Model 3 cars.

No, that's not how it works. When you order, you pay an additional $2,500 order fee. Your $1,000 initial reservation is added to this for a total non-refundable amount of $3,500. The $1,000 is never refunded on a purchase. [Edit: ...of a Model 3. If a Model 3 reservation holder instead opted to buy an S or X rather than the 3, then they would indeed have their $1k refunded and a separate $2,500 order fee charged for the S/X. I was referring solely to Model 3 reservation holders who purchase Model 3s.]

Shorts especially should be wary of fools gold here

Indeed. I read this article as bullish, as 23% refunds after 2.2 years seems low to me.

because if the refunds are in fact linked to sales,

They are not.

No, that's not how it works. When you order, you pay an additional $2,500 order fee. Your $1,000 initial reservation is added to this for a total non-refundable amount of $3,500. The $1,000 is never refunded on a purchase.
How do we know this is always the case? Perhaps the transaction worked for you that way, but that need not be the universal experience. This is why we need Tesla to confirm these numbers.

Reactions: CuriousSunbird
Thanks. Seems to be the same data. Assuming 450,000 at end March (which the delivery update seems to confirm), the right hand chart in your link suggests about 350,000 at end April.

Nope. 450k+ was confirmed in May, after the conference call. Data about 23% refunds said most were in April. If so, those refunds failed to diminish net number of reservations. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.