Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, how about a commercial funded by Customers? ~$300K for a slot on Big Bang. Get Hollywood to match, then watch it re-run on every news station as the real story and then watch it again and again. $300 each x 500 people = $150K? Do you realize how many people would sponsor this to help save the planet? I bet Micheal Moore would eat it up! "Paid for by the Customers" in bold at the end.

Hello, anybody out there? Maybe wrong crowd...

How about a Go Fund Me type thing. People could give what they could until there was enough.

"product placement" is a form of paid advertising, and Elon has explicitly said that they don't and won't (for the time being) do it. That doesn't mean that the producers don't want a S3XY car in their program.

Are you sure about that? I had hears otherwise and remember they had a pre-production Model X in the TV show Extant so they must have had Tesla support at some point.

Ok, how about a commercial funded by Customers? ~$300K for a slot on Big Bang. Get Hollywood to match, then watch it re-run on every news station as the real story and then watch it again and again. $300 each x 500 people = $150K? Do you realize how many people would sponsor this to help save the planet? I bet Micheal Moore would eat it up! "Paid for by the Customers" in bold at the end.

Hello, anybody out there? Maybe wrong crowd...
Why? They have more orders than they can fill already.

How about a Go Fund Me type thing. People could give what they could until there was enough.

Yes I was thinking the same. There are 76K members here. That's $3 each is all. I don't think the video would be difficult to create, just a simple message.

True, Elon stated that he doesn't have plans to advertise. It's probably not a priority for sales against all the other costs ahead. But do you think for a moment he wouldn't choke up and fall over if we did this for him (and the planet)?

We should leverage this customer momentum from the recent push from Customers helping with Sales.

Thanks for responding, I was thinking this group had no heart.

• Love
Reactions: Earlian
You might want to check on that plan. BIW needs to be painted to avoid rust. A 30 day ocean journey would be a problem for an unpainted car.

Shipping bare steel is not a new concept. There's both dry packaging (to keep moisture and oxygen away) and temporary coatings; they can be used individually or together.

No, you can't just throw everything in a crate. Yes, it is an added cost. But as a temporary stopgap for half a year or so? Definitely doable.

Are you sure about that? I had hears otherwise and remember they had a pre-production Model X in the TV show Extant so they must have had Tesla support at some point.

But support does not mean Tesla paid for the car to be there (Roadster in Leverage for instance).

Yes I was thinking the same. There are 76K members here. That's $3 each is all. I don't think the video would be difficult to create, just a simple message.

True, Elon stated that he doesn't have plans to advertise. It's probably not a priority for sales against all the other costs ahead. But do you think for a moment he wouldn't choke up and fall over if we did this for him (and the planet)?

We should leverage this customer momentum from the recent push from Customers helping with Sales.

Thanks for responding, I was thinking this group had no heart.

He'd be glad of support, but does Elon really want more backlog at this point? They already anti-sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice try but I aint clicking on boomberg...bugerburg...bullshatberg..bolonyberg...bobsyouruncleburg ...bettyboopberg...butthurtberg...or even blooperrealberg.
I avoid giving them clicks too. Instead I just hover over the link so I can read the headline in the link displayed at the bottom of my browser.

Several times EM reiterated the focus is on driving toward an affordable $35k car. Margin suggested at 15%. Market does not like this. Market wants to see maximum profit. Premium product with premium price. Apple is not lauded for making a low priced iPhone but for their pricing power. Pricing power is what drives multiples.

If Tesla dropped the $35k product the stock would pop.

I agree with EM due to climate change concerns but financial markets don’t care IMO. My investment is climate related.

A $35k Model 3 doesn't reduce anymore CO2 emissions than a $60k Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
I recently discovered that there is already an EV tax where I live. So when I buy an EV I will pay more every year in taxes than if I spent the money on a legacy vehicle. It is absolute nonsense for me to be subsidizing the ICE vehicles, it should be the other way around. This is an area I would like, but do not expect there to be, federal legislation on.

You may be right that GM will cajole congress into giving them relief, but I suspect the end result will be a protectionist repealing of the current EV tax break and passing something that gives money to GM -- quite possibly a tax payer subsidy directly to GM for EVs they sell or produce. And our congressmen are quite adept at targeting language so they won't have to say GM vehicles, it will just de facto be GM vehicles.

So this is pretty unpopular, but you deserve to have an EV tax. We all do. Since we aren't buying gas, than the portion of the gas price that would go into road maintenance wouldn't be paid. And since we are using the roads..... you get the idea. Now, the rebuttal to this is of course, "semi trucks should be paying the majority of road repair because they damage it exponentially more than cars do!". And this is very true, but not the way the system is setup right now. We use the roads, we pay to maintain the roads. That is fair.

A $35k Model 3 doesn't reduce anymore CO2 emissions than a $60k Model 3.

That depends. If the $35k Model 3 is driven ~200 miles a day and the $60k Model 3 is driven ~30 miles a day the $35k Model 3 does reduce CO2 emissions more. ;)

Also if the $35k Model 3 is replacing an old gas guzzler while the $60k Model 3 replaces a modern Prius the $35k Model 3 does reduce CO2 emissions more.

A) We didn’t say the same thing
B) I was addressing those who keep bringing up (and thinking) stamping as a non-issue in terms of production starting next year ... C) I didn’t pounce. I simply used your post to nip the thought that stamping wouldn’t be an issue for GF3 production next year.

So you weren't agreeing with me, you were just responding with a non-sequiteur. That's not exactly better. You don't respond to someone in order to talk to some third party.

Back to what I was actually writing. We've never seen any indication that stamping at Fremont can't handle its 10k/wk design spec. So if vehicle production at Fremont is at 7k/wk due to GA/paint limitations, then they can produce 3k parts for an extra per week. These can be routed to GF3, either raw or in the form of BIWs.

We agree with the fact that it's unlikely that Tesla is going to acquire a new press line and dies and have them churning out parts by Q4 2019, unless this was started previously. I'm pointing out that unless something has changed at Fremont, there's no need for GF3 to have its own press line by Q4 2019.

GF3 can start producing vehicles - albeit by robbing production at Fremont - as soon as they have nothing more than a GA line and its supporting infrastructure. Add in a paint shop and it should be able to produce 3k/wk without hindering Fremont production. Getting this done by the end of Q4 2019 appears quite plausible.

Last edited:
It's not BS. I actually think he got that exactly right. Incumbents have a really hard problem to solve.

i know that. neroden knows that.
point is, who’s fault is that? they’ve had decades to deal with it. instead they kicked the can.
bum, unsurprisingly, seems ok with that.
“ohh wait, you have to understand”. as if tesla are the bad guys forcing those legacy makers to finally pay the piper and man up.

i call bs on that, not the predicament they’re in.

I though Tesla charges the same base price, with the difference being currency, taxes, tariffs, and shipping.

Historically, doesn't seem like it. Granted, Tesla might be able to make the argument that shipping can be $$, but historically if one looked at a model s, the premium NET of the VAT was about 20%. It just makes sense, that is where the threshold of retail pricing is in Europe/UK. Almost no company will LOWER retail regardless of where currency fluctuations go. Why do it, pricing of products like this and many other types simply tends to RISE with time not fall and the consumer is fine with that. If the currency works in the companies favor, so be it. and if it goes against you and seems like it's going to stay there, well then RAISE pricing for sure - but currency cross rates can be the boogey man.

If one nets out for VAT, a similarly equipped Model S 100 D is about 95K USD USA (not including federal and state credits/refunds and not playing "how much are you saving on gas, maintenance, time at the pump and other crap) compared to a currency adjusted price of about 116K USD. That can't all be shipping.

It's much higher with VAT of course, on the contingent, but I'm not factoring in any state or national taxation.

What prevent from that ride hailing company to replace with their fleet with base Tesla model 3? Their current car cost more than 30k$, use pouch battery with air cooling, struggle to get a charge in hot days.
Their current cars are costing 200,000 Yuan ($28,000). We have no clue what parts and service prices are. But you think they should pay a 27% premium to buy a Tesla? Between now and when the Model 3 is available to them there will be a whole other batch of competing models available. Time will tell which vehicle is the best choice for their operation

It's not BS. I actually think he got that exactly right. Incumbents have a really hard problem to solve.
That's true, but Boomer is correct that they only have themselves to blame, especially GM. Two decades ago they had a viable and popular electric car, despite all of their efforts to the contrary, and what did they do? They destroyed all but a few and they are just museum exhibits.

They are between a rock and a hard place (imagine the impact on their suppliers), but it truly is of their own doing.

Where was this yesterday while we were listening in?

5A75A5AC-EC1B-44F2-BFAA-39DC1100E27F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.