Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 341524

Those are Amazon bonds. Obviously, Tesla bonds have slid more because they have a substantially lower rating and weaker balance sheet than Amazon, but the trajectory is the same. You can see the big drops when rate rises were announced.

That's why it's more useful to quote bonds as spread over the relevant risk free rate (usually Treasury for fixed rate dollars).

Alright, here’s part 2 in my blog post series. After all parts are done I’m hoping to put it altogether in one post. Please PM me if you have any ideas on how we can get Elon to read the final compilation.

DaveT on Chatstarter: "Part 2: The Turning Tide - Why Elon vs SEC might have a very bad ending"

Also, I'm looking for quality feedback. Just @ me in the thread so I can see it.

I definitely don’t want Elon to fight this. The media will have a field day and shorts will parade over this. Just look at the market reaction on when the SEC case was announced and when it was settled. Look at what ensued after the tweet. Just pay off the mafia, take the bullet and move on. It’s time Elon makes it up to shareholders, putting us through production hell... I definitely don’t want to experience SEC hell. Those guys are well connected and even if we win the battle, they can be vindictive and hit back in the future with other things. You’ve made your point Elon, we understand that you are the fall guy in this, but don’t drag shareholders into this, it’s your fiduciary duty to look after shareholders and Tesla. Take the bullet....

I have worked MY spreadsheets. My concern is some investors are looking at the Q3 ramp numbers and forgetting these were a result of
1) Hold overs from Q2 to prevent breaking 200K in the U.S. in June.
2) Largely people with reservations for over 2 years.

As far as the U.S. is concerned, Troy's spreadsheet is pretty ugly. Look at the number of new configurations starting in September. Even if this is just 2% of the actual numbers, the rapid decline is worrisome. I also truly expected to see more in-transit units at the end of Q3 then there were at the end of Q2. Instead, the number dropped by over 3,000 units.

Opening up Europe will release the pent-up second wave of reservations. But those deliveries will take much longer to hit revenues. Once those orders are filled in about 6 months what will be left for Model 3? SR deliveries at lower margins? Even if Q3 and Q4 prove profitable I do not see the profits being as high as the last quarterly profit in 3Q16. China will be a huge drag on revenues until GF3 is online or the tariffs are reduced.

This is an absurd argument in that it basically presupposes people won't be buying cars in the future! It also totally ignore the fact that most auto purchases are not planned months in advance and an order placed with a waiting period of several weeks much less several months. It's concentrated, liquid bullshit.

I guess by your estimation sales for the Camry and F-150 will collapse as well as people aren't lining up to buy them right now for next July delivery? Of course, your magical assumptions on future sales suspiciously are only applied to Tesla products. As for Troy, according to him I was going to get my Model 3 in November (it was July) and Tesla was SURE to hit 200k in June. I recommend looking for a more accurate prophet!

This type of argument has been made for a long time for the S/X too, where it hasn't panned out even though logic would indicate it to be far more likely for luxury models with smaller markets. You're just dusting it off and rewrapping it for the Model 3 now. I'm going to go cry in my beer now since obviously every LR, AWD, or Performance Model 3 buyer in the world lined up to wait for an extended period for there car- in direct contradiction to about 100 years of car buying behavior.

You might as well argue that the only people who buy iPhones are the ones who line up at the store.

People, please don't get your hopes up too much about the Saudi announcement. From what's been released so far, it might not have anything to do with Tesla at all. The ties with Tesla may well be nothing more than the fact that they're allowing Tesla to open wholly-owned stores in the country.

They already said that. They will allow wholly owned foreign business inside the kingdom. How can that be the announcement?

A suprisingly short time; it should be largely over by 2030. Maybe even 2025, but probably not.

Yeah, debt owed by people who can't print money is a huge issue. (The feds can print money... and in practice so can California, even though it's sort of legally questionable whether they can print money, they've essentially done it by calling them "IOUs" and making them tradeable, which is actually what money is)
Neroden, c'mon. There are over 1 billion ICE vehicles in use around the world today with the vast majority over a decade old. The earliest projections for the transition that I have read call for at least 50 years not 12.

Just as Tesla's delivery systems cracked under the strain in Q3, the common belief is the global electrical grids may not even be able to handle the load of the transition until 2050 or later. I guess we could all drive around with tall solar arrays mounted on the roof but I see that as being useful for about 20 miles per day, a safety concern when pulling into a garage, and completely worthless in winter :D

beachbum77 said:
Troy's spreadsheet is pretty ugly. Look at the number of new configurations starting in September. Even if this is just 2% of the actual numbers, the rapid decline is worrisome. I also truly expected to see more in-transit units at the end of Q3 then there were at the end of Q2. Instead, the number dropped by over 3,000 units.

I'll likely regret responding, but...

Regarding the spreadsheet, you understand that it's expected that the sheet will track reality with less and less accuracy over time, right? A long-time reservation-holder who's super-duper excited and has been following the development of the car for years is far more likely to locate and participate in an internet community effort to track the minutia of order/delivery status. Over time the percentage of buyers participating in such an effort will drop. With the 3 in the US (in currently-available configs, at least) largely reaching no-reservation status, we're likely seeing this. There is no chance that there's a 'rapid decline' in demand. If this was the case, we'd have already seen other markets or configs open up. Further, this same argument was made with the initial S configs, then with the expanded-market S as guidance rose from 20k/year to 50k/year. We're still not seeing a drop in demand, 6 years into the vehicle's life. Then the same argument was made about the X. Also hasn't come to pass. So you'll forgive me when I wait for far more concrete data than 'your spreadsheets' before I worry.

As for # in transit, this was specifically guided for--deliveries were guided higher than production. The natural result is in-transit units dropping.

Come on--you're claiming with one side of your mouth that there's a large drop in demand, and with the other that Tesla is selling their vehicles too quickly. Pick one.

This is an absurd argument in that it basically presupposes people won't be buying cars in the future! It also totally ignore the fact that most auto purchases are not planned months in advance and an order placed with a waiting period of several weeks much less several months. It's concentrated, liquid bullshit.

I guess by your estimation sales for the Camry and F-150 will collapse as well as people aren't lining up to buy them right now for next July delivery? Of course, your magical assumptions on future sales suspiciously are only applied to Tesla products. As for Troy, according to him I was going to get my Model 3 in November (it was July) and Tesla was SURE to hit 200k in June. I recommend looking for a more accurate prophet!

This type of argument has been made for a long time for the S/X too, where it hasn't panned out even though logic would indicate it to be far more likely for luxury models with smaller markets. You're just dusting it off and rewrapping it for the Model 3 now. I'm going to go cry in my beer now since obviously every LR, AWD, or Performance Model 3 buyer in the world lined up to wait for an extended period for there car- in direct contradiction to about 100 years of car buying behavior.

You might as well argue that the only people who buy iPhones are the ones who line up at the store.
Where on earth did you get that from my remarks? The growth PACE was what I was referring to not overall sales. Look at Model S and X sales growth over the last 5 quarters. They only spike as a result of discounts and incentives but for the most part are flat. I see Model 3 production globally peaking at about 8-9,000 per week. Model Y will seriously eat into that number so we can expect to see both built on the same production lines like S & X.

NO need to get emotional. It is just an opinion.

Mongo, most smart investors do not follow a "buy and hold forever" mentality and survive. Just like institutional investors they constantly revisit their investments to see if they still meet the criteria that caused them to be bought in the first place. Unforeseen and changing events can alter any investment's popularity.

Since the Q1 CC when Musk scoffed at questions and turned to You-Tube, Musk has been increasingly irrational, emotional, and at times downright stupid and the volatility in the share price has increased dramatically. Whether caused by physical issues or mental stress is unclear. But something has seriously been altered in this man. While there is no doubt he is a visionary and long-term strategist for mankind's survival, whether he is fit to continue as CEO and a BoD member is becoming a real question.

I keep asking myself if he is trying to get the BoD to fire him so that he does not have to resign. If so, what is up his sleeve? I equate trying to follow this man to playing chess with a Grandmaster. How many moves ahead is Musk right now? Is this some elaborate exit strategy? Time will tell. But in the meantime, I would limit how many TSLA eggs you put in your investment basket.

Enough of you. I can get a parrot if I want hear the same old lame stuff over and over. Ignored

That's why it's more useful to quote bonds as spread over the relevant risk free rate (usually Treasury for fixed rate dollars).

The yield on the TSLA bonds has risen 54%. The 10-year treasury has risen by 46% over the same time period. So 85% of the change in TSLA’s yield is explained by the rising interest environment, and about 15% is explained by increased perceived risk. I think Q3 results will eliminate that perception of increased risk.

Can anyone explain to me why are banks hitting up Tesla w/ refi offers? Is this standard procedure when debt gets near due?
for big companies yes. What this clown forgets to mention is the obvious fact that banks making offers=Tesla solvable.
Nobody is going to do refinancing of a dying company. The level of debt is not sufficient to make Tesla hijacked by creditors.

About SA, I don't believe in any significant movements of Tesla in the region or any serious contracts.
It is common there to negotiate till down, and don't discount if you have a higher hand. Going open and disclosing his contacts before final signatures Musk put himself in vulnerable position, which means changing contract conditions on a fly and continuous pressure from both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if the changes of conditions by "investors" were coordinated with MM and SEC actions.
You don't deal in the middle East on equal "partner" conditions. Nobody will understand that. He will find "surprises" in China as well...

Ok, excuse my ignorance as I’m not a financial guru, bought 50 shares, long investment, 2 yea ago when I bought my model S, have enjoyed learning about the finance world through this(alone worth the price at purchase), but could Elon have shorted some shares, tweeted his opinion about the sec, then use the money of the drop to pay his fine? Or would that be insider trading?
It would be stock price manipulation and worthy of a jail sentence. So NO, he did not do that. He might act a little crazy but I doubt he has gone insane.

The yield on the TSLA bonds has risen 54%. The 10-year treasury has risen by 46% over the same time period. So 85% of the change in TSLA’s yield is explained by the rising interest environment, and about 15% is explained by increased perceived risk. I think Q3 results will eliminate that perception of increased risk.
they have to use for analysis bonds next to expire. But they won't because there is nothing to FUD there.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Why so many RWD I wonder? Could this mean he's planning on building some $35K soon or just backfilling for those who ordered RWD in Q3 but got bumped for the Q3 profit goal? Maybe this is where the customer frustration came into play. Not a dig, just curious on the data. Maybe it also explains why there were mostly AWDs in Q3. I smell Q3 profit.
Getting ready to open European shipments?... That's my guess.

Last edited:
For the Model 3 it's even better than that: at the end of Q3 Tesla's Model 3 inventory was less than 3 days of production at 4.1k/week:

model-3-3q18-jpg.340346

I.e. Tesla only had 1,985 Model 3's on inventory at the end of 3Q2018, and that included showroom cars, test-drive cars and any residual inventory in transit.

Those are incredibly low inventory levels, and it's because Tesla's are already sold before they are made, and because of the very effective delivery push at the end of Q3.
Tesla just had a discussion that cars are batch built and then matched up to buyer orders by their Logistics team. These same people were the ones canceling deliveries to East Coaster's so that they could be sold sooner to people out west before 9/30. Did not matter if cars were already paid for or not. You will find all of this in the TMC threads.

Nice to see people re-posting my chart. You must not have me on "ignore" ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey4141
@NikeWings Does this count as my working? :)
HA HA but NO :p only because we can all learn from each other. See my note below.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary:
  • 7-year Treasury yields have risen a lot recently, to 3.28%, which is about 1.2% higher than 14 months ago. This means the value of corporate bonds priced about a year ago would by about 8.7% lower - i.e. 91.3 instead of 100.
  • Even non-convertible corporate bonds (of any company, not just Tesla) depend on the equity value and their price thus tracks the stock price. When the bonds were priced the TSLA stock was well above $300 ($350?), and if you check the price graph, a ~$100 drop corresponds to about 1% yield rise, which for 7 years is about 7.2% cumulative.
  • So 7.8%+7.2% = 15%, fair price for the 7-year bonds would be $85, if there were $100 14 months ago. That's pretty close to the $84 price.
Treasury yields have risen a lot this year:

If you check that graph it was near a minimum about 14 months ago.

The rise in Treasury yields coincided with the drop in the Tesla stock price, so the two effects (lower corporate value and higher Treasury yields) added up and a price of $84 looks fairly normal to me.

Hi FC......that's close except you are rationalizing why the bond is trading at a 15% discount, not the argument presented by @CorneliusXX which was a 15% discount was due to the increased interest rates. We agree, its not solely the interest rate driving a 15% discount.

If factoring only the increase in yield, your math is off just slightly since you used maturity instead of duration. Using correct duration/treasuries its roughly 1.5% issuance delta x ~5.5 duration for 8.25% discount vs.15% current trade level. That was the simple point......even in a rising rate environment, this bond is trading with a steeper discount than it should. You took a crack at explaining away the difference as equity sentiment, but I would argue the other way around. And that's an age old debate. :D Good show.

Reactions: DrKenneth
Banks only offer you loans when they think you can pay it back. Or as the old adage goes " Banks only want to offer you money when you don't need it".

All many bankers do most days is look at projected cashflows and assess lending risk.

“Banks only want to offer you money when you don't need it".

That's changed a bit these days.

Similar to the Mafia of old, many PE firms will loan you the money with the expection that you can’t pay it off.

Ultimate goal = to take control of the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.