Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cars are still being made and sold. Batteries are being made and so are solar panels. All this extra "news" is for people looking to make a profit on sensationalism and instead of actually investing in a company and owning a part of it. Should have gone private years ago.

Hard data release of Q2 saw the stock priced at $330.
Emotional roller coaster saw the stop jump to 380 and back down to $310. Logically these two prices are mis-pricing by the market without data. Stability between the two should be around 342.

I also fell for the emotional roller coaster and tried to arb trade the 420 buyout price. Another lesson reinforced.

Sandy is a professional auto teardown expert. He does this 24x7. Colin is a UBS financial analyst for TRADITIONAL US automakers, auto suppliers, and auto dealers. I can read between the lines.

Why are people only talking about these two teardown studies? Did everyone forget about the German teardown study that found that the Model 3 they tore down would cost $28k in volumes of 10k per week? A figure that when asked about it, Musk said was spot on?

Last edited:
How much FUD do you hear about SpaceX?

Not much, and there are two reasons for that.
First, when they execute very well, there's little to write FUD about.
Second, they're not a public company, so there are no shorts to profit from the FUD.

There is, however, plenty. Headlines like "SpaceX fails to recover Falcon 9", when it was just an attempt to recover the fairing, and the booster was an old, re-used one that they didn't care about recovering. When did you ever see "ULA fails to recover brand new Delta 4 Heavy"? Or the FUD when that defense satellite failed to disengage.

I am convinced that this is the end game: instead of drip-drip FUD we got a frontal assault designed to slander core elements of the "Tesla story" - in particular Elon.

I hope Elon is keeping his cool: these personal attacks are proof that they don't have any substantial attacks left. This NYT story will blow over, in a week or two the improving Tesla fundamentals will dominate the stock price again.

There is no doubt about that. This is the end game for the shorts- now or never.
However, I think that in this case the shorts have accomplices- longs that are going to be part of the deal. Until the deal is proposed/voted, it is in their best interest to keep the price low.

Once I reached 1000 shares I told myself I was done accumulating TSLA. But this dip and this arbitrage opportunity broke down that wall. I just added 150 more shares. At the moment I’m thinking “F U NYT!” However, by this time next month I hope to be thanking that rag for padding my bank account.

I agree in principle. However, if we're being honest, at both $420 or $300 there's more being priced in to TSLA than cars, batteries and solar panels "being made and sold".
There are a significant number of Bay Area startups with vaporware on AI driving and have gotten funding...

Tesla all ready has all the data.

The only curious thing is taking the company private with high volume production of cars batteries and solar panels with projected net positive profit. someone is going to lock in and income stream for the next 5 to 10 years.

And the people who make the majority of the world's oil are going to do it and control the energy paradigm. Unless some other car company or battery manufacturer has a large assembly plant for batteries that they can make in the next couple years.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Why are people only talking about these two teardown studies? Did everyone forget about the German teardown study that found that the Model 3 they tore down would cost $28k in volumes of 10k per year? A figure that when asked about it, Musk said was spot on?
Was it per year or per week? I honestly don't remember, but even Elon said it needed to be 5k/wk before the base model would make money.

That Elon spoke to the New York Times is very interesting. He has open invitations from pro-Tesla reporters, bloggers, and podcasts that he’s responded “open to it at some point” but has not yet been interviewed. And plenty of other outlets and journalists (including some he’s spoken to before) he could have gone to for a balanced article. From his comments on conference calls and his tweets, he does keep up with what’s written (mainstream and financial) about Tesla and who writes it. In the Ashlee Vance book, Elon seemed very cautious and paranoid even letting his friends and colleagues be interviewed. So it just seems out of character he would “walk into the enemy camp”. A dumb mistake or just part of a brilliant long-game plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.