Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to connect analog stereo audio to Tesla via a Bluetooth transmitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ORB

Jun 22, 2012
I've always felt constrained by relying on the Tesla sound system equalizer when playing music directly from my USB drive. I've occasionally connected my old Sony Walkman MP3 player to my Tesla via hardwired USB instead, but the system then retrieves songs from the Walkman strictly as a memory device, i.e. the tone controls in the player are bypassed. I would really prefer to take advantage of the audio tailoring capability from something like a good headphone amplifier and then pipe that output to the Tesla sound system, in part to compensate for my hearing loss.

As an experiment, I bought an Avantree Bluetooth transmitter from Amazon, which accepts analog audio from a 3.5mm stereo cable and connects to Bluetooth speakers or headphones, thinking that I might be able to interface an analog stereo source to the Tesla this way. I was only briefly able to establish Bluetooth pairing with the Tesla screen, but unfortunately couldn't maintain it or reconnect.

Has anyone been able to successfully pair the Tesla to any brand of analog-to-Bluetooth transmitter? Alternatively, has anyone tried an all-digital MP3 in-to-USB out solution, with audio tailoring in between (using IoS devices or other hardware)?

If this question has already been addressed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Here is an update, for those that are interested.

I've resigned myself to being dependent on Tesla's equalizer for now, I've found a set of settings that comes closer to what I like for my MP3 files. Like what others on here have doubtless discovered, use of the conventional
Folders selector button in the Tesla music player makes all my music tracks visible by album and artist (but without any album art shown), with only a few exceptions. Also, albums are much easier to find this way.

If I select the Album or Artist button instead, many of my tracks are hidden as "Unknown Album/Unknown Artist" (perhaps due to the limitations of my using an old version of Windows Media Player to rip these from CDs a long time ago).