Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble in NC: Senate Bill 327

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least Duke power is on the side that has something to gain if cars are powered by electricity instead of oil.
Having dealt with Duke Energy during installation of a solar PV array on my house, and hearing of the differences in the experience of Progress Energy customers (the other local energy provider that Duke Energy assimilated), they are definitely not in favor of any consumer initiated renewable energy production, other than what is absolutely required by law. Anything past that point, Duke basically says go f--- yourself.

...they are definitely not in favor of any consumer initiated renewable energy...

Presumably they're very much in favor of selling more coal / nuke electricity to power your car to you at the expense of their petro-based competitors, no?

Like they say, if the enemy of my enemy is my friend, maybe there's some common ground with some of the Governor's cronies here.

Twitter has caught wind of this. Of course, the overwhelming opinion is that this bill should not be passed. I hope it continues to brew and the national media takes it up.

The senate passed it with a UNANIMOUS vote. Not likely to veto a bill that has no dissenting vote thus far.

Anyone read the bill? The article in Insider monkey says that they are modifying the definition of a "dealer". It does not bar Tesla, but require tesla to be one of the states 7000 franchised dealers.

Just left the Legislative Building in Raleigh. Bill 327 was taken off the agenda. Meet with my Senator Dan Soucek and voiced my opinion with the bill and gave him a little background on Tesla. He said he will get in touch with Senator Tom Apodaca, sponsorship of bill 327. Will keep everyone up to date.

If you drove there, suggest to talk while walking out and make sure the conversation ends at the side of your NC-registered Tesla and let him watch the door handles slide out. (I'm not sure how far the parking is from the building but I'm hoping it's right out front)

EDIT: Oops looks like I replied too late to this thread... If it comes to pass, what does the law say about getting your good friend from another state whom you knew through the TMC forums to buy the car on your behalf and then deregister it in a consumer-to-consumer sale of this now "2nd-hand" tesla to you for re-registration in NC?

Last edited:
The senate passed it with a UNANIMOUS vote. Not likely to veto a bill that has no dissenting vote thus far.

Anyone read the bill? The article in Insider monkey says that they are modifying the definition of a "dealer". It does not bar Tesla, but require tesla to be one of the states 7000 franchised dealers.

There was an article that clarified that many senators voted for it but wanted modifications made to exempt Tesla. Let me find it...

Edit: Actually, just found this which says that it has actually passed the Senate: Bill squeezing out Tesla passes NC Senate :: WRAL.com

That's really not good.

If it comes to pass, what does the law say about getting your good friend from another state whom you knew through the TMC forums to buy the car on your behalf and then deregister it in a consumer-to-consumer sale of this now "2nd-hand" tesla to you for re-registration in NC?

Only if your good friend has no intention of using the $7500 EV credit for themselves...

There was an article that clarified that many senators voted for it but wanted modifications made to exempt Tesla. Let me find it...

Edit: Actually, just found this which says that it has actually passed the Senate: Bill squeezing out Tesla passes NC Senate :: WRAL.com

That's really not good.
I think it's great that WRAL 1) picked up on the article and 2) took the Tesla focus. Nothing like raising awareness to help as we go to the House.

I think it's great that WRAL 1) picked up on the article and 2) took the Tesla focus. Nothing like raising awareness to help as we go to the House.
WRAL is owned by Capitol Broadcasting Company, and I vaguely recall having heard that the president/CEO of that company, James F. Goodmon, is very much an EV supporter / owner. From looking at ChargePoint, there is a group of 6 EV chargers in the WRAL parking lot.

Ah... Apodaca received $8,000 in campaign contributions from the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association last year

Further in that article... It's all over -- the "think of the children" card has been played.

Robert Glaser, president of the dealers association, told the News & Observer that the law prohibiting Tesla sales isn’t just about his industry’s self-interest. Pointing to the Tesla representatives at a recent hearing, he said, “You tell me they’re gonna support the little leagues and the YMCA?”

Last edited:
You have to love that, at least from the AP article, the most important point the Dealers' Ass'n could make was their support for the Little Leagues and the YMCA..... !!!!!

So, the barriers for becoming a "dealer" in North Carolina are low. Have a showroom, be insured, take a class and pay a $70 fee to the State.

While it's so annoying that the State Senators decided to act against their constituents' best interests, it seems like Tesla could deal with this problem with minimal expense, since they already have a NC Gallery.

Then the main problem for those who don't live near the Tesla-Owned Gallery (uh, I mean "dealership") is that they would have to go to the dealership to complete the sale, as required by this law.

Or maybe be a bit more creative and open a Gallery on the SC side of Carowinds and let NC owners take delivery there, eliminating the entire problem.

I'm not sure that is the case. Two questions come to mind.

1. Can Tesla be a dealership or do they need to create a wholly owned subsidiary that they designate as their dealership? Can they even do that, or does it need to be a separate company altogether?
2. If they have a dealership in NC, do they then become subject to all the franchise laws around the country that they are currently bypassing because they do not have and have never had any dealers?