Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travelling to N.I with Dog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Oxid8ter

Returning Member
Dec 12, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi All,

Since getting out M3 we have decided we want to discover more of Europe by car. One of our reasons being that we perceive charging in Europe to be easier than buying fuel would have been in our old car - though, I am pretty sure this is just a placebo.

We had hoped to take our trusty Labrador with us, but our vets charge £160 per trip for an Animal Health Certificate - this on top of all of the other requirements such as Rabies jabs etc. and this makes it a lot harder to stomach the costs (what with it being per trip!) as you could take an additional person for this sort of "all in" cost.

Anyways, my point is this - After Brexit the AHC was used to travel to Northern Ireland from the GB mainland due to ROI being part of the EU still, but I had read online that as part of the "Windsor Framework" Northern Ireland no longer requires this and free movement of Dogs is allowed between GB and NI.

My issue is that I cannot find an official document which reflects this, so I just wondered if anyone could share their experience with travelling from GB mainland to NI, and whether they have to have the AHC, Rabies Vaccinations etc.

I will, if a long trip comes up for Europe, pay for all of the requirements so that he can come with us but for shorted trips such as long weekends, it feels a bit steep to pay £160 for a piece of paper, on top of the £60 of an additional vaccination.

Thanks in advance.

Can you get an EU vet to do some paperwork? Dim recollection of seeing a video on this. Maybe Andrew Till, maybe someone else. Need a UK one first.
I think this was one of his trips to Italy, and he got an AHC from a vet in Folkestone as they were cheaper than his own vets, though still £99. That said, a £70 saving to go to mainland Europe with your dog isn't to be sniffed at.

See the section travelling from GB to NI
Thanks for that @Handydave - I'm still not 100% on the wording but this gives me something to go on, thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton