Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Trailer-friendly Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1B6385AF-0B68-45FB-B8CD-BE556E6737CE.jpeg
Buckeye AZ on I-10 west of Phoenix.
I’d call this a category 3, but barely. The Carl’s Jr. drive through blocks you from pulling into the leftmost spot. Traffic was barely able to get by the trailer pictured. A longer trailer would require unhitching, but there’s plenty of space close by.

• Informative
Reactions: idoco and ohmman
View attachment 449380 Buckeye AZ on I-10 west of Phoenix.
I’d call this a category 3, but barely. The Carl’s Jr. drive through blocks you from pulling into the leftmost spot. Traffic was barely able to get by the trailer pictured. A longer trailer would require unhitching, but there’s plenty of space close by.

Impressed that you could turn it 90 degrees without the front of the car hitting the supercharger on the turn. Now getting out....

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I put together an email for plugshare encouraging them to include a "Trailer Friendly" option for their app. I also tweeted them. I havent heard back. I HIGHLY encourage you to reach out to them too. Its very important to know which charging stations are trailer friendly. I'll paste my email below. If you want to email them too their email is [email protected].
Their address is
Recargo INC
2231 Campus Drive
El Segundo, CA 90245
Phone is 310 535-0012
Twitter is @PlugShare
They are also here on Facebook
I think it is really important that we know which charging stations are accessible with a trailer connected. I would encourage you to message Plugshare too.

Dear Plugshare,
Hello. I have been a loyal user of Plugshare since 2012. I love your app! I was extremely happy when you added the trip planner feature! I use it all the time!
I am emailing you because we really need a feature that shows if a location is trailer/towing friendly. I think this is very important and I think we need it ASAP.

Lots of EV drivers tow. How and where do we charge? Is there room at the charging station for my vehicle with a trailer attached? PlugShare has done a great job helping EV drivers. Adding data about the location’s ability to accept a trailer is a HUGE feature that will help now and in the future.

Below I have offered suggestions on how I think it could be done.

How you can get the data,
1. I’d suggest requiring users to answer one question before they can post their photo or check in. This will be the quickest way to get the data. “Is it possible to charge here with a trailer attached?” They can select “Yes, No, or I don’t know”. You could think about doing this for 60 days just to get the data quickly then removing the mandatory question.
2. Add the question to a normal check in. "Is this location trailer friendly without disconnecting the trailer?" "Yes or No". It wouldn't be a mandatory question so the "I dont know" option isn't necessary.
3. Another way to get the data would be to send an email to all users letting them know about the new feature and inviting them to add info to their previous check ins.
Important note: You want to specifically know if you can charge there WITH THE TRAILER ATTACHED. Disconnecting the trailer can be a big pain in the butt. People who tow, including myself, will want to use locations which will allow a charge with the trailer connected.
How it could work,
1. You could add an indicator that shows if a location is trailer friendly. I'd suggest that the indicator is present in the pop up that is visible when you move your cursor over a pin. It should also be noted in the charging station details section along with "Dining" and "Parking" info.
2. A "Trailer Friendly" option could also show up in your search options. This way, much like people can select only plug options that they want to see, users could only see locations that have been given a "Trailer Friendly" designation.
I hope this wasn't overwhelming. I think its really important and I wanted to give you some info to help get you started. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Google review? What's that? Is it somehow better than PlugShare.com? Or the Supercharge.info app?

It's Google man. Didnt you get the memo, they are taking over the world.

But seriously, it's just that everyone has a Google app and most people do use Google maps for alot.

Easy to use etc. I just don't use the plugsshare app that often. But good point.

Bottom line. Leave reviews everywhere you can and include towing friendliness and pics of it.

It's Google man. Didnt you get the memo, they are taking over the world.

But seriously, it's just that everyone has a Google app and most people do use Google maps for alot.

Easy to use etc. I just don't use the plugsshare app that often. But good point.

Bottom line. Leave reviews everywhere you can and include towing friendliness and pics of it.
Google isn’t known as a go to resource for EV drivers. I only use PlugShare and the in car Tesla navigation.
I’d highly recommend against leaving reviews on google and instead post them on an established, reputable, ev charging station site/app like PlugShare.

What about using hitch-mounted bicycle racks? These stick out 2-3 feet from the vehicle, so "normal" SuperCharger spots may or may not work depending on what's behind the spot. Some have bushes, some have poles. In my experience with a Model 3 (now traded in for a Model X) the SuperCharger cables are quite short and so it might be tough to be able to back in enough to reach with the bike rack and bicycles.

Thoughts/pointers welcome.

I replied in another towing thread, but adding here since I used Petaluma as an example:

old sat map, but you can see how the parking spots are divided

even when I drove through there was tons of mall traffic. if, any spots are available, you're going to be fighting cross traffic. also, there were cars parked which I have indicated in red. pulling out is going to be a pain too.

View attachment 653255