Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade war and Tesla Canada Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To refer back to the title of my original post. I now pose a question. IF a trade war ensues, do Tesla sales in Canada decrease to a significant extent? Or will there be a minimal impact? And I guess as a corollary, since the US administration seems to be on the same tact with their European allies, would European sales drop in a significant way in a trade war with the US?

To refer back to the title of my original post. I now pose a question. IF a trade war ensues, do Tesla sales in Canada decrease to a significant extent? Or will there be a minimal impact? And I guess as a corollary, since the US administration seems to be on the same tact with their European allies, would European sales drop in a significant way in a trade war with the US?
I don't think anyone knows the answers to those questions. A trade war is not reflected in stock prices, makes no sense economically or politically, and would inflict great harm on constituencies near and dear to President Trump. So I guess that means it's likely to happen, eh? o_O

Plus, this trade war and tariffs, especially on Canada, doesn't even sit well with many Republicans who voted for Trump. It's really anti-Republican at core -- which usually means less government intervention on trade and tariffs. So now we've even taken away from those who voted for him with regard to this issue -- yet you blame most Americans "clearly"? Why, when the facts clearly say otherwise?

This I don't buy. Please tell me how many Republicans are currently standing up to Trump? I see two: Jeff Flake, not running for re-election, and John McCain, about to die of brain cancer. Republicans are 100% complicit in Trump. They bear FULL responsibility.

Please remember to be polite and civil. Calling someone a troll is considered to be a personal attack on this forum, and that is against the rules.

Also please try to get the conversation back somewhere into the context of Tesla sales.

• Helpful
Reactions: SMSMD
so i'm not allowed to disagree with your point of view? Quit your bitching. I read your comments and didn't agree with it, get over it.
There's bully called Trump. He gets called out daily on his bullying. By cnn, nyt etc. I see these articles everywhere, but thst is not enough to impeach him.

Then there's a bully or, rather, a troll on this forum, who keeps calling "All Americans" Trump supporters and insists on everybody joining his personal trade war based on "All Americans" declaring Canadians their "enemies".

No amount of reasoning from multiple forum members that not everybody or even majority elected Trump or supports him has ANY effect. He just copies his BS to the next thread and starts all over again. I have seen multiple threads with him doing the same - refering to his "service" as a point of credibility and then proceeding to enemies and wars agenda.

We have one such bully in the WH and we don't need another one on the forum. That is why I am calling him out.

This brainwashing works. Whether from Trump to his supporters(ex. Inciting hate crimes that do happen afterwards) or from Putin's trolls whose task it is to sow discord between allies wherever possible. This does not apply just to U.S. They will try to set Canada against Europe and European countries one against another. They meddle in elections there too with the goal to break alliances.

I believe people need help in recognizing this. All these fake news, propaganda, and manipulation.
It is then their choice whether they want to join the warmongering that our friend here incites or double check the facts before jumping to conclusions.

Now about disagreeing. There are some obvious un-truths posted in many places, whether for fun or to serve a narrow agenda. Stuff like "white color is best, but all others suck and people who chose them too". Disagreeing to those does not need explanation. If you are disagreeing with something that people spend a lot of time explaining and not providing any reason for your disagreeing or which part of the explanation you find unconvincing that is a bit insulting.

I know a lot of people will do snap judgements and do name callings with no apparent reason and that is just their normal level. It's like "I've shown you a middle finger, therefore I'm right" argument. Fine, I won't argue with that.
Disagreeing with a follow up explanation simply shows a respect towards a level of discussion we want to have.
Disagreeing without one is like showing a middle finger. That is my perception of the issue and I won't argue it's correct.

Please remember to be polite and civil. Calling someone a troll is considered to be a personal attack on this forum, and that is against the rules.

Also please try to get the conversation back somewhere into the context of Tesla sales.

It's pretty well known that Tesla like other automakers has a global supply chain, which includes Canada. Although there is doubts whether Canadian aluminum is used, or just Chinese aluminum laundered through Canada.

A trade war that involves tariffs on automobiles is not going to happen. Canadian workers won't take it in the arse, and GM won't either.

I would like to know what Canada's plan is to stop China from being the sole provider of Aluminum.

They dropped 9% in just a year (2017Q1-2018Q1 in actual production, but we do not know how much hidden Chinese imports are in there.

The Canadian primary aluminum production will be gone by 2029. Trudeau doesn't care. They can make more money by just processing Chinese aluminum and have no significant need for aluminum as a defense material. But he is too young to understand that China will bypass Canada entirely once their true production is eliminated.

I know a lot of people will do snap judgements and do name callings with no apparent reason and that is just their normal level. It's like "I've shown you a middle finger, therefore I'm right" argument. Fine, I won't argue with that.
Disagreeing with a follow up explanation simply shows a respect towards a level of discussion we want to have.
Disagreeing without one is like showing a middle finger. That is my perception of the issue and I won't argue it's correct.

Here's the thing....

I for the most part agree with most everything you're saying. BUT... at this point it's fully evident where Trump is in life. Republicans & independents at this point have no space to hide and say "ooh, I didn't know". They know. Trump, with all this Russia stuff going on, Russia assassinating people on British soil, killing anyone who goes against him, Trump still comes out and says, voluntarily, "let's let Russia back into the G7. They're good guys." Why did he do that? It couldn't be more obvious he's a Russian spy/plant/whatever at this point, yet poll after poll consistently shows his approval rating amongst Republicans over 90%. That sends out a signal that almost half of politically engaged Americans are totally brain dead, which, using lazy logic, equates to half of the American people. I understand this is not a totally accurate representation, but most non-Americans simply find it incomprehensible that at this point the vast majority of supporters of one of the two major parties, still almost completely support him. This engenders a ton of anger, and leads to responses like the one from the guy you're arguing with.

Reactions: Koflach
There's bully called Trump. He gets called out daily on his bullying. By cnn, nyt etc. I see these articles everywhere, but thst is not enough to impeach him.

Then there's a bully or, rather, a troll on this forum, who keeps calling "All Americans" Trump supporters and insists on everybody joining his personal trade war based on "All Americans" declaring Canadians their "enemies".

No amount of reasoning from multiple forum members that not everybody or even majority elected Trump or supports him has ANY effect. He just copies his BS to the next thread and starts all over again. I have seen multiple threads with him doing the same - refering to his "service" as a point of credibility and then proceeding to enemies and wars agenda.

We have one such bully in the WH and we don't need another one on the forum. That is why I am calling him out.

This brainwashing works. Whether from Trump to his supporters(ex. Inciting hate crimes that do happen afterwards) or from Putin's trolls whose task it is to sow discord between allies wherever possible. This does not apply just to U.S. They will try to set Canada against Europe and European countries one against another. They meddle in elections there too with the goal to break alliances.

I believe people need help in recognizing this. All these fake news, propaganda, and manipulation.
It is then their choice whether they want to join the warmongering that our friend here incites or double check the facts before jumping to conclusions.

Now about disagreeing. There are some obvious un-truths posted in many places, whether for fun or to serve a narrow agenda. Stuff like "white color is best, but all others suck and people who chose them too". Disagreeing to those does not need explanation. If you are disagreeing with something that people spend a lot of time explaining and not providing any reason for your disagreeing or which part of the explanation you find unconvincing that is a bit insulting.

huh? are you saying i'm a russian troll or something? I'm a married canadian father of 2 kids living in langley BC. I just didn't like what you said. There's a little button on each post that gives me the ability to thumbs up or down a post. if you can't deal with people disagreeing with your political views it might be worth just keeping them to yourself.

How do you know so much about the aluminum business lol? You read an article or are in the business?

In the business of high technology manufacturing support. Most folk don't even know there is crap aluminum and aluminum that is stronger than mild steel by volume, and wildly stronger by weight. There is even aluminum armor plate.

In the business of high technology manufacturing support. Most folk don't even know there is crap aluminum and aluminum that is stronger than mild steel by volume, and wildly stronger by weight. There is even aluminum armor plate.

I just had a quick look -- largest bauxite supplies by far are in Australia & Guinea. I don't think long term Chinese domination of the aluminum industry is an issue?

huh? are you saying i'm a russian troll or something? I'm a married canadian father of 2 kids living in langley BC. I just didn't like what you said. There's a little button on each post that gives me the ability to thumbs up or down a post. if you can't deal with people disagreeing with your political views it might be worth just keeping them to yourself.
No, I did not call you a russian troll, b/c you did not equate Trump to all Americans contrary to the evidence and did not copy this over and over from one thread to another promoting trade and other wars.

However, there were thousands upon thousands of people "liking" inflammatory rhethoric that came up in the facebook posts of russian trolls. People did not know where this is coming from and what might be the consequences when a lot of people start sharing those views that they just "liked". Ultimately, agreeing to things like that leads to a life in Russia and later in North Korea. And you don't need to move there, it will come to you.

Here's the thing....

I for the most part agree with most everything you're saying. BUT... at this point it's fully evident where Trump is in life. Republicans & independents at this point have no space to hide and say "ooh, I didn't know". They know.
I agree. What happened is that a few who opposed Trump were voted out. Trumps base made sure of that. After that, the choice for remaining Congressmen became easy. You either fall in line, keep your job, hold your nose, and help Trump implement his agenda, which for the most part is their agenda, b/c they vote on it... or you stand up for you principles, such as it is not ok to role model those things that the President does towards women etc. and start looking for a new job for yourself. Unfortunately, it does look like the majority of Republican congressmen either did not have principles or sold them out, probably justifying that sale in their mind by saying that getting things done is more important than the collateral damage, including to your own moral and to your family's and to the families of the rest of Americans.

Trump, with all this Russia stuff going on, Russia assassinating people on British soil, killing anyone who goes against him, Trump still comes out and says, voluntarily, "let's let Russia back into the G7. They're good guys." Why did he do that?
Why? Leverage. Robert Steele's dossier was not disproven. In fact, some line items from it were confirmed by FBI. But most likely the witnesses who could confirm other line items are no longer around, taken care of by Putin.

It couldn't be more obvious he's a Russian spy/plant/whatever at this point, yet poll after poll consistently shows his approval rating amongst Republicans over 90%.
What cannot be proven, cannot be used against Trump in the Court of Law.

Approval ratings... I am not a Republican, so my perspective on this is limited.
Trump said he'll take care of the population group long neglected. He's sticking it up to his predecessor by dismantling one of his achievement after another. For some people that may make a difference even if it's only ideological and they don't have extra money in their pockets to show for all these "achievements". The tax cuts go to the rich instead. And instead of promised "trickle down economics", companies use extra money to buy back shares.

Do you think this is not scary to me as well? That many people will "eat" inflammatory propaganda instead of food, which is literally what's going on in Russia right now? This is scary as hell.

That sends out a signal that almost half of politically engaged Americans are totally brain dead, which, using lazy logic, equates to half of the American people. I understand this is not a totally accurate representation, but most non-Americans simply find it incomprehensible that at this point the vast majority of supporters of one of the two major parties, still almost completely support him. This engenders a ton of anger, and leads to responses like the one from the guy you're arguing with.
I think that people get tired of status quo that doesn't work for them. So, once in a while they challenge the status quo and cause the pendulum of history to swing wildly. This time towards nationalism, protectionism, isolationism. I hope that it will not go too far and that Trump will serve us as a vaccination against Nazi Germany, not take us all the way there.
When significant portion of the population wants to probe that direction you can't just un-elect Trump back the next day. This exploration needs to run its course and, hopefully, peacefully.
Then the pendulum may swing in another direction and we'll have opposite problems to discuss.

I'm holding my fingers crossed against Trump's 2nd term - I'm hoping people had seen enough.
If not, life goes on and the only consolation is that there can't be more than 2 terms of Trump.

Although there is doubts whether Canadian aluminum is used, or just Chinese aluminum laundered through Canada.
I might have questioned this earlier though not having any insights, however, after watching a show called "Rotten" on Netflix find this very realistic.
There's an episode there on honey, how the world production goes up and up every year, but bees are dying in huge numbers due to colony collapse disorder. How can this happen? The answer is China. They dilute honey with syrup and dump such amounts on world markets that no genuine manufacturer can compete with this. U.S. tried to protect our market from Chinese honey, so they started laundering it through other countries by making it look like those countries are the origin of honey. To the obscene levels, like some island ships several orders more than it can produce.
U.S. tries to test the honey for different ingredients to try to determine its true origin, but it's a win or lose game, with China increasing its cheating tactics every time a remedy is found.

While in general I am against trade wars, I can see that fair trade is fair only between participants not looking to undermine one another.
If U.S. is to be able to stand up to China in the future, it needs to have the manufacturing capability to do the end-to-end production on its territory and not completely depend on components that can be only procured in China.
I don't have all details on what's going on right now with the trade wars, but I can see some rationale behind it from the defence/security perspective. It could be that countries other than China are a collateral damage in this trade war.