Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in offer rescinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever had Tesla take back a trade in offer claiming it was a mistake. After several months of negotiation I received an acceptable trade in offer on my Model S, via e-mail, and placed an order for a Model 3 the same day. I had several e-mail exchanges with Tesla that included the trade in price. Now almost a week later, and with an estimated delivery date of next week, Tesla claims the trade in offer was a mistake and they can cancel my order.

In most states an e-mail agreement where one party offers another money for a product or service, and both parties mutually agree, its considered a binding contract.

They can do whatever they want unless you get leverage over them, i.e., lawsuit, to get a court judgement in your favor.

TL DR?

If it's that big of a deal to you then you can try to sue them.

P.S. They have a lot more lawyers than you do.

Like most new auto transactions, every deal most likely will be reviewed by a manager to be sure the over anxious sales person is not giving away the store just to write up a commission producing deal. Sounds like this is what might have happened in your case.

In most Tesla trade in vehicles, the final offer is subject to a physical inspection of that trade by a knowlegeble person.

Like most new auto transactions, every deal most likely will be reviewed by a manager to be sure the over anxious sales person is not giving away the store just to write up a commission producing deal. Sounds like this is what might have happened in your case.

In most Tesla trade in vehicles, the final offer is subject to a physical inspection of that trade by a knowlegeble person.

The vehicle was physically inspected, and Tesla took over two weeks for internal approval on the offer.