Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious why interest rates are going up?
Tesla is expected to have a blowout quarter which means the share price should go up after the announcement how many cars they have delivered.
Assuming that people should not want to short more.
May be people are getting shares back to vote for Tesla-Solar City merger?

Tesla is expected to have a blowout quarter which means the share price should go up after the announcement how many cars they have delivered.

The basic premise why the interest rate is going up is there is demand to short TSLA and/or SCTY, but no supply. No supply because institutions are (slowly) recalling their shares to be able to be counted for the merger vote.

Among the shorts, whether TSLA has a blowout quarter is irrelevant. They still maintain that TSLA and SCTY is a sham, Elon is the ultimate huckster and everything will go to zero and they'll go home laughing. Chanos (their short King) said so and so it must be true.

That being said, lot's of longs here are making a pretty penny on their short proposition.

Interest rates to hold a short position represent a balance between supply (of shares to borrow for shorting) and demand (to establish / maintain a short position).

If supply is steady / stable / constant, but there is demand for more shares to go short, then interest rates will go up to satisfy that demand (either by chasing weaker shorts out of the market, or by drawing more shares into the market to borrow).

If demand is steady / stable / constant, but supply is shrinking, then it'll look the same (interest rates will go up to drive weaker shorts out of the market).

Of course, both can be moving at the same time. If demand is shrinking but supply is shrinking even faster, then that looks like increasing demand in relative terms, and will show up as an increasing interest rate.

This is why the second piece of data to put together with the interest rates is so important = the 2x/month report on short interest - how many shares are short in the market as of a particular day. The history of that value together with the daily updates to interest, provides the best publicly available view into the aggregate short position I know of.

Worth noting that TSLA is the extreme exception when it comes to short positions. None of the other companies I own directly get lent out or earn me interest in my account. The market makers have an adequate supply of shares all on their own, and don't need to borrow shares from retail investors to meet demand to borrow shares to go short.

This dynamic is part of what makes TSLA so interesting to me. There are a bunch of smart people on both sides of this trade, and they all have good reasons to be in the trade that they're in. This kind of divergence in what people see, based on the same available public data, is only achievable when you have people working from different paradigms / mental models. Those paradigms / mental models shape what each sees, and inside of each groups paradigms, they are right. What actually happens with the company and stock price over time becomes an impartial arbiter of who is 'really' right.

Also worth noting, that in a stock as volatile as TSLA, it's possible for everybody to be right by changing the entry point and time frame. For my own part, I'm a buy/hold/forget investor with a time horizon closer to a decade than a year (I expect serious thinking about the position in a few years when Model 3 is shipping in volume).

OK, so my enthusiasm for tracking this data seems proportional to the interest rate... Here's a new chart (it will be automatically updated over time when you come back to this post):
pubchart

And here's the link to an interactive version that definitely will be updated over time (at least until interest rates drop and I lose interest again ;)): Interactive Interest Chart
With the interactive chart you can hover over a datapoint and get the exact value if you wish.

Is there any possibility that you may enter the short rates at IB into your chart, as well? Lenders payment is always half of what Shorts pay in interest rate to IB, for borrowing shares.. I can supply you with the interest rate of your selected dates, back in time.

Is there any possibility that you may enter the short rates at IB into your chart, as well? Lenders payment is always half of what Shorts pay in interest rate to IB, for borrowing shares.. I can supply you with the interest rate of your selected dates, back in time.

So that this time I might actually stay on top of maintaining this chart, I'm trying to keep the amount of work I have to do to an absolute minimum, so I'm gonna say no. However if you want to do a chart yourself, I'd be happy to give you access to my spreadsheet data with Fidelity rates - PM me if you'd like to do that.

Just in case you missed it, WSJ is picking up on the short/recall story.

http://on.wsj.com/2cGe1hy

Lot of interesting (but not necessarily new to TMC) detail in the story.

My own takeaway: shares have been recalled, agents/shorts are trying to cover by borrowing more shares (thus the rebate rate increase), but agents and short sellers aren't yet buying in and recalled shares aren't being returned to their owners.

It probably still has another week or so to play out -- particularly if the record date is pushed back from this week.

this is funny fidelith returned 1200 shares of tesla to me as they raised the interest rate to 12.75% doesnt make much sense but i am in process of transferring brokerages....retaliation??
IB has lent out my shares all the time, from when I joined the lending program. I can see there are ins and outs, but happends the same day. PM if you would like a refferal code at IB.

Just in case you missed it, WSJ is picking up on the short/recall story.

http://on.wsj.com/2cGe1hy

Lot of interesting (but not necessarily new to TMC) detail in the story.

My own takeaway: shares have been recalled, agents/shorts are trying to cover by borrowing more shares (thus the rebate rate increase), but agents and short sellers aren't yet buying in and recalled shares aren't being returned to their owners.

It probably still has another week or so to play out -- particularly if the record date is pushed back from this week.
What the to record date get pushed? Did they come out and say that or is this related to the lawsuits?

It seems like we understood the mechanisms of the recall. Thanks to all who contributed to this understanding.

The violence of the moves in stock price has not yet lived up to my expectations. Perhaps there were many counterparties who did not honor the recall? I would have expected to hear more about it, if so.

Last edited:
What the to record date get pushed? Did they come out and say that or is this related to the lawsuits?

It seems like we understood the mechanisms of the recall. Thanks to all who contributed to this understanding.

The violence of the moves in stock price has not yet lived up to my expectations. Perhaps there were many counterparties who did not honor the recall? I would have expected to hear more about it, if so.

Skimmed the 8k, sounds like the 4 lawsuits might have the ability to push back the vote. They want an injunction with a hearing scheduled in mid-Oct. So I'm not sure if that means they can't vote until after the hearing? Maybe they can expedite the hearing or settle?

Got called personally by the Securities Lending Fully Paid program at Schwab to "inform me" of the high interest rate they were now offering. Told them I was holding my shares in order to vote and would lend 'em out again once the record date had passed. (That is to say, over the weekend. Since today, Friday, is the record date.)