Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towns denying Business to go with all electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not. It's the grid provider's "product", they should maintain their own infrastructure.

I'm no expert, but that article seems to have some false information. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing is just FUD.

I mean... 30 trucks using more electricity than an entire city? Maybe if they're talking instantaneously and the "city" is really small, but even that sounds like a stretch.

Should the Federal Government step in and upgrade electrical grids for Businesses that want to purchase electric vehicles if Towns won't?
Quite slanted article, drops in the term “clean diesel” which has been debunked after VW gate. With the grid, the main thing is that it has to support the peak load, usually early evening. So if you can charge at night, actually improves costs by increasing grid utilization. Bigger problem is increasing use of air conditioners which tend to run in afternoon and early evening during peak but nobody says we should outlaw them.

Towns do not control or decide electric infrastructure.
Cities and towns may certainly have the ability to control development within their boundaries. Installing electric lines and distribution equipment requires permits and may even require zoning changes depending on where the equipment would be located.

And I know of one fair sized city in Texas that actually owns the electric company that serves that city.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Probably not. It's the grid provider's "product", they should maintain their own infrastructure.

I'm no expert, but that article seems to have some false information. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing is just FUD.

I mean... 30 trucks using more electricity than an entire city? Maybe if they're talking instantaneously and the "city" is really small, but even that sounds like a stretch.
It's BS, the average electricity use per person population is about 32 kWh/day (not just their use but everything in the city they live in that makes it a city to be livable and productive) if it was the Tesla semi using a full battery of 500 miles, that's the as much as 1000 people and business use . Therefore to make this argument they would have to ban all new construction. it is also strange that these are anecdotal . I searched the web and can find no mention of this. I thought city records were public domain.

Reactions: doghousePVD

It's a stretch.

If we use the US electricity consumption per capita [List of countries by electricity consumption - Wikipedia] then a city of 1 million uses:

- 1300 MW average power (but power varies a lot by time of day)
- 33000 MWh each day total energy consumption

That's based on 1285 Watt per person average power

Current EV trucks can probably charge at a peak of 1-2 MW. Of course average power consumption across the full time the truck is charging and then actually driving around is quite low.

1 EV truck at peak charging speed = about 1500 people (average power consumption)
30 EV trucks at peak charging speed = 46000 people

If we look at average power usage over a day, then 46000 people is equivalent to over 700 trucks. That's based on the same 1285watt/person and assuming the trucks drive 1000 miles a day at 2 miles / kwh. That's likely significantly overestimating how much EV trucks actually drive each day and their total energy usage.

Ultimately even huge EV semis with enormous batteries and wildly high charging speeds (at least compared to a little Model 3!) are not such an outsized energy consumer.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Sounds like it.

It would be unnecessarily expensive to have 30 EV trucks and fast charge all of them at the same time. Economics would quickly motivate companies to have fewer fast chargers, stagger the charging, and have better utilization of the expensive chargers. Demand charges would be wild

Sounds like it.

It would be unnecessarily expensive to have 30 EV trucks and fast charge all of them at the same time. Economics would quickly motivate companies to have fewer fast chargers, stagger the charging, and have better utilization of the expensive chargers. Demand charges would be wild
By not saying what truck and the type of business they may only be charging every other day (for local hauling), slow charging at night at <100kw, or charge at megachargers on their route.