Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a continuation of my prior messages between Tesla “Customer Service” and me, I got the reciprocating referral no-answer runaround again. Don’t expect a hitch receiver.
Here Are the latest messages:

“You failed. Never got anyone who could answer the question.

[SMcGinnis]

On Apr 9, 2020, at 7:21 AM, CustomerSupport <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello [S...],

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support, we are glad we could assist. We have not heard from you for a few days. We have closed this request and no additional replies are needed.

We thank you for taking the time to allow us to address your concerns. If you have additional questions, please refer to our support page linked below that contains many great self-help resources. Thank you for your support in transitioning the world to sustainable energy.

Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

Hello S****,

Unfortunately as previously stated, we do not have the information that you are requesting. I do not want to provide you with false or inaccurate information. Service would be the best to speak with regarding your question. If you do not wish to speak with them you may try reaching out to Sales. They have a chat feature on our website you can chat in to them here: Tesla Lending.

Best,

Jenny | Tesla Support“

According to our local Jaguar dealer, Tesla promised buyers that a hitch receiver would become available to US buyer for the Model 3, then never delivered. He said he didn’t expect Tesla to have a hitch receiver because it was basically a Model 3 underneath and it can’t attach one. Anyone know if they promised hitch receivers to Model 3s?
You can attach a tow hitch bar to the Al frame if you disassemble the back. I’d love to know if anyone from the EU with a hitch has opened up their bumper to see how it’s attached... and if it can be removed, sent it to some other owner.

And more:

Tesla
07:45 AM
Welcome to Tesla! How can we help you today?

Steve
07:46 AM
I will need a hitch receiver for a bike rack. Will the Model Y have a hitch receiver as an option I can add to my order?

Thank you for reaching out.

Sarah
07:47 AM
We do have a roof rack option available on out Tesla Shop for Model Y. At this time Model Y does not include a tow hitch or towing accessories.

Sarah
07:48 AM
Have you placed your order yet?

Steve
07:49 AM
Yes, but a roof rack isn’t going to work for most mountain or e-bikes.

Sarah
I see. At this time that is the only option we have available.

07:50 AM
So, no hitch receiver, ever?
Read

At this time that is not an option we have available

Agree to disagree in this case. No supercharger I’ve been to would have been blocked if someone had been parked there with a 6’ trailer attached while being pulled in.

I’m aware that there are probably locations that this would cause problems. But maybe Tesla could map “trailer accessible” locations.
I can only relate my experience of towing my trailer and Supercharging throughout California and in Washington, Oregon, Arizona and New Mexico; at over 90% of the Superchargers I have visited, if I did not unhitch my 17 ft trailer would completely block cars in the lane that is used to access the stalls. And at some Superchargers I can’t access a stall to charge without unhitching first because the parking lot is too cramped.

You mention a 6 ft trailer, so I recognize that we are talking about two very different trailer sizes. But in my experience, even a 6 ft trailer would present a significant obstacle to traffic at the vast majority of the Supercharger locations I have used over my 6+ years of Tesla ownership.

Based on the thousands of Supercharger stalls that Tesla has constructed to date I see minimal evidence that Tesla is deliberately designing Supercharger locations to accommodate charging without unhitching. While I would certainly like Tesla to take that into consideration but it does not appear to me that they are doing so. And I think the Model Y and the Cybertruck will be extremely successful vehicles even if Tesla does not design future Superchargers to allow charging without unhitching.

Breaking news: Just spotted on Tesla's US website. When choosing your wheels, you can now opt for a tow hitch for $1000!
Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 11.10.53 PM.png

Is this a troll post? 1 post, no followup, and you can't see the hitch in the image. If it's not a troll post, then at least post a better image and a few details (manufacturer for instance...)
That’s some pretty good photoshop work if it’s a fake (which I don’t think it is)—check out the reflections in the paintwork...