Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent points about the Supercharger situation and towing. I know there are a few here and there set up with towing in mind, but I believe that may only be 1 or 2 out of the 8 or 16. Anyone have more knowledge about those? Are they situated closer to camping areas such as National Parks?

Excellent points about the Supercharger situation and towing. I know there are a few here and there set up with towing in mind, but I believe that may only be 1 or 2 out of the 8 or 16. Anyone have more knowledge about those? Are they situated closer to camping areas such as National Parks?
Most superchargers I have visited have a single nose in spot at the end of the row. But you can't use those spots with a trailer because the trailer would stick out into the aisle and block anyone from coming / going.

I have never seen a pull through supercharger location in person, but based on the pictures I have seen online it doesn't look like they would work with a trailer either because the lanes are too narrow.

I don’t see the supercharging situation as a reason for Tesla avoid the hitch topic altogether. There are plenty of scenarios where supercharging isn’t needed and a hitch could be used. If there are technical/mechanical reason, that’s fine... just would like to know so we could make an informed decision about waiting - or not.

Reactions: HyperionMark
Imagine that at some time a group at Tesla will be tasked with designing a tow hitch, lighting hook up sockets, and perhaps even something for trailer braking. Will also need stability control and something to sense when a weight is being towed.

WIth S & X it was not released until an air suspension was also available...so there is that as well.

Last year on a road trip, I played leap frog over two days with a couple from Canada in a Model X towing a small travel trailer. They were quite efficient in dropping the trailer before charging and putting it back on the hitch afterward — they clearly had done it many times before. While it would be a nuisance to do solo, with a couple it can be done quite easily.

Hoping for Tesla to rework the Supercharger network to allow pull-through stalls seems unrealistic, for now.

Imagine that at some time a group at Tesla will be tasked with designing a tow hitch, lighting hook up sockets, and perhaps even something for trailer braking. Will also need stability control and something to sense when a weight is being towed.

WIth S & X it was not released until an air suspension was also available...so there is that as well.
lighting, trailer braking, load-leveling, pull-thru superchargers... all necessary for actual towing. none of that is necessary for a simple bike rack.

Good point. Also probably not needed for towing light weight trailers, bike racks, snowboards etc.

In 2016 the Model X had two options. A small hitch receiver for bikes and small trailers. Think rated about 1,500 lbs, and another with a full sized receiver for towing larger trainers, up to 5,000 lbs. For some reason the smaller set up was cancelled and everybody moved to the full sized receiver.

Think the smaller hitch is probably going to be enough for many. Might not even need firmer shocks/springs.

Reactions: mikevbf
Most superchargers I have visited have a single nose in spot at the end of the row. But you can't use those spots with a trailer because the trailer would stick out into the aisle and block anyone from coming / going.

I have never seen a pull through supercharger location in person, but based on the pictures I have seen online it doesn't look like they would work with a trailer either because the lanes are too narrow.

Baker, California SuperCharger has pull throughs. Only one I’ve ever seen though

Attachments

• E95D7CEC-0BA6-4098-B0A3-A385845B2A52.jpeg
    E95D7CEC-0BA6-4098-B0A3-A385845B2A52.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 87
lighting, trailer braking, load-leveling, pull-thru superchargers... all necessary for actual towing. none of that is necessary for a simple bike rack.
Even some bike racks are big enough that they might not allow a Tesla to be backed up far enough on some Superchargers to connect. There are some near us that have pylons way out in front of the bollard. I'm assuming a big bike rack wouldn't let a Tesla get even close.

Even some bike racks are big enough that they might not allow a Tesla to be backed up far enough on some Superchargers to connect. There are some near us that have pylons way out in front of the bollard. I'm assuming a big bike rack wouldn't let a Tesla get even close.
I can’t imagine ever needing a supercharger for 90%+ of the trips where we use our bike rack. 300-mile range and home charging covers a lot of ground.

I think Tesla is afraid of the stories about the range hit towing will take on the car. Europe at least has CCS backup fast charging network so it isn't such an issue. When I towed a small car behind my Model X P90, the supercharging network was barely adequate, but I had to stop at nearly every one of them. I prefer to think it is a Tesla strategy to not include it rather than incompetence to release a SUV without a tow hitch capability.
I think you are right. There is a video of a M3 towing a trailer and using nearly 700 wH per mile. See:

Baker, California SuperCharger has pull throughs. Only one I’ve ever seen though
No way I would want to navigate that with a trailer. The stalls are too narrow and the sharp 90-degree turn you have to make when you pull out of the stall would be impossible with trailer (trailers don't follow the path of the car - they cut the corner when you make a turn).

The only way I can see charging with a trailer there would be to have the trailer sticking out blocking traffic, and then back out when you are done instead of pulling through.

I don’t see the supercharging situation as a reason for Tesla avoid the hitch topic altogether. There are plenty of scenarios where supercharging isn’t needed and a hitch could be used. If there are technical/mechanical reason, that’s fine... just would like to know so we could make an informed decision about waiting - or not.

My argument is not that the supercharging situation makes a trailer hitch useless. I think that Tesla's concern is it exactly the opposite. If they included a trailer hitch on the Y, all of a sudden there would be a ton of Tesla's towing trailers.

And if a bunch of people started showing up at superchargers (with the current charger design) with trailers it will be a huge mess.

No way I would want to navigate that with a trailer. The stalls are too narrow and the sharp 90-degree turn you have to make when you pull out of the stall would be impossible with trailer (trailers don't follow the path of the car - they cut the corner when you make a turn).

The only way I can see charging with a trailer there would be to have the trailer sticking out blocking traffic, and then back out when you are done instead of pulling through.

The stalls in the back row are made for sticking out trailers...then you can back out the huge open field to pull out the stall.

Tesla Supercharger Baker

Google Maps

Not sure how big of a trailer you think people will be pulling if they ever have the chance. I’m thinking a small Harbor Freight piece of sh*t trailer...maybe 5-6ft long.

This whole thread is just a hope as Tesla isn’t going to give us anything. It’ll be aftermarket and then we have all the fun of warranty work denials because of a trailer.

It’s honestly cheaper to rent a real truck to do the work or buy a small old Ford Ranger for a grand for the handful of times a Model Y owner will need a trailer. But I will say that Tesla or other companies WILL need to figure out how to let trucks (Cybertruck or Rivian) charge while still connected to a trailer. Disconnecting the trailer ever time to charge will be a huge no-go for possible buyers.

Reactions: Electric Steve