Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto EVfest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The KOA in Kingston is listed as having 100 amp power. I'm not sure what that means - I thought only 30 amp and 50 amp were standard for RVs. I'd call ahead to confirm.

1000 Islands / Kingston KOA | Camping in Ontario | KOA Campgrounds

I stopped at the KOA near Barrie a couple of weeks ago to do a quick charge on the way up to Muskoka. They were super friendly and accommodating. No camping fee, they only asked for a $10 donation to charity.

The KOA in Kingston is listed as having 100 amp power. I'm not sure what that means - I thought only 30 amp and 50 amp were standard for RVs...
Best I can tell is that "100 amp service" means you get two NEMA 14-50s. So even though it says "100amp service" you can probably only do 40amp Roadster charging there.

100 AMP Service - Escapees Discussion Forum
...The only time we saw 100AMP service was in one park in Texas and it was two 50AMP RV plugs next to each other...
...I believe that the ultra high end coaches with 100 amps, have two 50 amp cords to them... we have seen a couple of places where there are two 50 amp RV receptacles on the pedestal...

In practice, most RVs just treat the 14-50 as two separate 120V circuits to power more 120V appliances inside.
This lends to some confusion as some think they get 2x amps because they are using 120V from the 240V capable outlet:

100 AMP Service - Escapees Discussion Forum
...you are probably referring to is a standard 50 amp RV connection which in fact is 100 amps of 120 volt power...

The logic being used is "50a*240v=12000 watts which is 100amps at 120V..."

AC Electricity
  • 50 Amp Service is really 100 amp service
  • 50 amp Service delivers a WHOPPING 12,000 watts(volts(120) X amps(100)
  • I think the above may fall into the "misinformation" category.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 100 Amp Service
...two 50a RV outlets for One Rv is really 200amps of 120v or 100 amps at 240v depending on how it is used, the industry would be better served if it would adopt less confusing nomenclature
30a rv = 3600watts, 50a rv = 12000watts, 100a rv ( 2*12000 ) = 24000watts...

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 100 Amp Service
...something that would eliminate a lot of this mess is to rate capacity in watts, instead of amps. Wattage is the one consistency when figuring the current capacity of both 120 and 240 volt ratings...

Last edited:
Best I can tell is that "100 amp service" means you get two NEMA 14-50s. So even though it says "100amp service" you can probably only do 40amp Roadster charging there.

If it's similar to the Ganonoque KOA, each post has two NEMA 14-50 outlets on it. Maybe that's what they mean by 100A. Please note that only some of the slots will have 50A service, so best to call ahead.

Doug

Just a Quick update to note: EV Fest - Home of Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival now has been updated.

"On Sunday, September 18, 2011, EV Fest Published their website for EV Fest, Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival - 2011 Event." EV Fest - News about Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival.

Can we get a Rainbow of Roadsters arriving for the show? In Toronto there is the Sheraton on Queen Street that has two J1772 Chargers - news of it in our news page, as well as the 2 double head Better Place Chargers on site!
Click the Map on the news page for a charger search!

Robert Weekley

Hi Robert,

The 23rd is my son's birthday, but I'm fairly certain we can juggle a few things and attend.

Can you please PM me with any special instructions?

Jaff
Jaff, Good to hear you may be able to attend, what with family commitments!

First - Special Instruction - If you would like something better than the posted exhibitor rates for EV Fest 2011 at -
EV Fest Electric Vehicle Show - Exhibit at Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival - send a message to [email protected] - I will get it, and we can go from there.

If you just want to attend - leaving the car in the parking lot - just use the Guest registration - EV Fest Electric Vehicle Show - Electric Car Show and Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival >>
EV Fest 2011, Vehicle Show. Toronto's Premier Electric... - Eventbrite - so you can slide in and out at your disgression. Otherwise - Exhibiting inside the Holcim Gallery - the Roadster will be stuck for the day! There are the Better Place J1772 Chargers on Site. Will you need access to them, and do you have a means to connect J1772 to Roadster Port? (Cable Adapter)

The Website information should be able to direct anyone to the parking lot. Exhibiters may need a few more pointers for load in locations. Still working on that information delivery.

PS - Just hit 20 Exhibitor Registrations tonight, and have email and phone commitments for 4-5 more currently! It's Looking good on that side, but - need big help getting the word out for the public attendance side!

Please View - EV Fest Electric Vehicle Show - Press, Posters, Media - and pick your favouorite Poster - mine is Version 1C -
http://www.evfest.ca/EV-Fest-2011_Poster-1c.pdf for sharing with people who Drive, Bike, Get Stuck in Traffic, Live on Farms, etc!

Last edited:
If it's similar to the Ganonoque KOA, each post has two NEMA 14-50 outlets on it. Maybe that's what they mean by 100A. Please note that only some of the slots will have 50A service, so best to call ahead.
Doug
Hi Doug, Is it looking like EV Fest will be Graced by your Roadster this year? Will you compete for - and win - the Longest Distance Driven Electricly to EV Fest 2011 Award/Trophy?

We have a Motorcyle EV Conversion coming that will be a distance driven competitor, but I will put OEM's in a seperate class than EV Conversions to be fair to both!

The New Site - is much better than when I first posted it!
See EV Fest Electric Vehicle Show - Electric Car Show and Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival and tell me if you like it, and how we can get the word out more about EV Fest 2011!

I'll be there. I'll likely pick up a guest pass and park for a few hours while touring the show. Are you planning on reserved parking for EVs? It would be fun to line up the Roadsters for a few shots.
Dave.
Dave - How many Roadster are Planned to come to EV Fest, with outside Parking (I guess is what you mean) as guests? (Or Families? A bit hard to fit 3+ in that car!!)

Have you looked at the pdf linked at the words 'Holcim Gallery' on the website - www.evfest.ca ?? Check out the first page - it shows the venue overview - we will be using 'F' - Holcim Gallery (Details on the second page), for EV Fest!

Does anyone have Press Contacts that can make sure they write about EV Fest before the Show, and come during the event?

Let's figure out where we should park the Roadsters!
Robert

Last edited:
Dave - How many Roadster are Planned to come to EV Fest, with outside Parking (I guess is what you mean) as guests? (Or Families? A bit hard to fit 3+ in that car!!)

Have you looked at the pdf linked at the words 'Holcim Gallery' on the website - www.evfest.ca ?? Check out the first page - it shows the venue overview - we will be using 'F' - Holcim Gallery (Details on the second page), for EV Fest!

Does anyone have Press Contacts that can make sure they write about EV Fest before the Show, and come during the event?

Let's figure out where we should park the Roadsters!
Robert

No Guarantee but my Contact with Toronto Hydro knows people at Toronto Parking Authority - who deals with the parking on site and he is going to bat for Free Parking for Electric Vehicles on Sunday, October 23, for EV Fest - For All Electric Vehicles!!

I am also asking to see if he can get General $1 parking on site for the day - which almost makes EV Fest become Like - Free (Since parking for the day is usually $6 - the $5 savings = our Guest ticket price this year.)! $1 is the usual rate for 30 minutes - a bit tight on time to enjoy the show, so If we could get free - even better! Howver, the offer of a $1 - still gives the City a few Bucks for the day, and paying a loonie is not so hard!

Still unanswered in this thread - How many Roadster are coming to EV Fest 2011? I have one who opted to exhibit, and lead the way, but we are getting quite full in the Gallery as we speak with now 30 Exhibitors registered.

Still unanswered in this thread - How many Roadster are coming to EV Fest 2011? I have one who opted to exhibit, and lead the way, but we are getting quite full in the Gallery as we speak with now 30 Exhibitors registered.

I'll probably come if I can make the logistics work out. So far it's looking like this: drive from Ottawa to RV campground in Gananoque, 2-hour full Range mode charge, on to Tesla downtown for a recharge. I'll have maybe 30 km left - bit tight.

Perhaps leave the car there overnight, if that's okay with Tesla, and find a nearby hotel.

Over to EVFest in the morning. Afterwards I'll need to find a Range-mode top-off (maybe Tesla again?) to get back to Ganonoque with 30 km margin. Charge again and home.

This would be a heck of a lot easier if there was someplace to charge closer to half-way between Toronto and Ottawa. Then I wouldn't need all these Range mode charges, which take a long time.

Brighton KOA said:
mailto:[email protected]
Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:30 PM
Hello Robert
Not sure what you are asking? We are a privately owned campground that has extended our season from Oct 16 closing until Oct 23rd. As for Winter use, not unless you are equipped with a snowplow! So yes we are open for camping this weekend. We haven't really studied the cost involved of recharging electric cars as part of our camping pkge as of yet, but will look into it for our 2012 camping season. Have a great show. Mari
Brighton KOA

My email said:
Subject: Are the Campgrounds Shuttered? (Re: EV Fest Participant Support Request)
Hello and Good day!
Any chance you can come to the support of one of my supporters for EV Fest 2011 Electric Vehicle Show?
“Unfortunately the campgrounds are all closing for the season. At the moment it doesn't appear to be feasible to drive my Roadster to Toronto.” Quote from their online forum I just read!
Does that mean – you have already told my friend that – you won’t even let him in to charge up his EV on your grounds? Maybe – you could offer EV charging as a Special Offer for the winter this year?! (A Tesla Roadster and quite a Photo Op For you in the local Press if you work it right!)
He would be coming from Ottawa – to your location – likely this Saturday if you said – yes, come on down, we are open for Electric Vehicles to charge!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
So - on that note - maybe - re email them at > [email protected] <

Robert

Last edited:
6 Hours 30 minutes to go! EV Fest 2011 electric Vehicle Show is there - and I couldn't make it with my car this year! Shucks! Maybe next year it will be upgraded and ready! Not On top of the details but Toronto Electric Was trying to get free parking for Electric Vehicles at this Event! Maybe it will yet happen! Good night all! see you at EV Fest 2011! www.evfest.ca

I stopped by for about an hour this morning. Great collection of hobbyist cars and production models, with the Leaf, Volt and Tesla all represented. Kudos to Jaff for displaying his personal Roadster Sport and devoting his day to public education - the Roadster was the star of the show. Thanks for organizing EVFest, we'll need more space next year after the Model S launch!

Dave.

Thanks for the shout out Dave...nice to meet you and to catch up with David Smith & Prime Mover again!

Sorry Doug_G couldn't make it down...maybe next year we'll have a few Model S units at the event.

I thought it was nice of Fisker to set up an information table there...too bad they couldn't get a vehicle up for a viddy...probably next year!