Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto Auto Show - Tesla a no show?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't doubt there would be at least 1 Tesla showing at the Toronto Show. But last year was a big one since they brought in a Model X. And yes, it was by far the most popular thing in the Exotic area of the show. I think it was the 2nd best thing to see there since they did bring a Mclaren F1 in too. That there was the highlight for me. It's been forever since I've seen the Mac Daddy up close and personal again.

This year promises to be a great show again. They're bringing in some really high end exotics and very rare vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I do like Tesla alot (and I'm still waiting to see what the final prod version of the Model 3 is going to look like before putting a deposit down) but there are many other vehicles going to the show that deserve equal, if not more, attention than getting into a Tesla.

They're going to have the LeMans winner Ferrari 250 LM! Good Lord! Not to mention a slew of F1's from different era's driven by Canadians.

I think it really depends what you're into. I would go to see the other manufacturer's EV & hybrid line ups, just for my own edification.

I could really care less about seeing any production ICE vehicles for sale.

Reactions: mrElbe and PJFW8
So far, the other manufactures haven't really given us anything new. Just more of the same. Nissan is reworking their Leafs to give them the 200 mile range everyone expects now that Chevy introduced the Bolt. But those vehicles are really Mickey Mouse compared to what Tesla will be offering.
GM is making a big deal of the Bolt, and yes every little bit helps to get people on the EV wagon. But the thing is not very stylish, is wrong wheel driven, and doesn't really have much of an infrastructure when it comes time to charge it.
I will go check out the EV setup they have at the show, but it's not the overall allure.
People will only start to take notice when they see other big manufacturers offer a full EV range. I'm anticipating big things from Mercedes Benz and Porsche in the near future in terms of EV's.

I'm still itching to see what the final prod version of the Model 3 is going to be. I'm pretty sure this car will be a big game changer for us normal folk who don't have a huge amount of money to spend on vehicles.

If only potential EV buyers of other brands knew about the limitations of charging anything other than a Tesla.
Chevy, Nissan, BMW, etc fail to tell customers that the charging infrastructure for these "So called" EV's only allows one car at a time to charge.
They fail to mention to people that if you pull up late at night, for instance, to a regular Level 2 charger and there is already a car charging, you are out of luck!
Anyone thinking of attending the Autoshow specifically to tell customers of the other brands about this limitation?
It would be a great way of promoting Tesla.

Anyone thinking of attending the Autoshow specifically to tell customers of the other brands about this limitation? It would be a great way of promoting Tesla.

I am volunteering at the show with Plug 'n Drive, but I don't think I'll be doing that. The goal is to promote the adoption of all EVs and the fact is not everyone can afford a Tesla right now. Plug 'n Drive will have a number of new EVs to test drive, but Tesla did not supply one. Newer, longer range EVs like the Bolt will satisfy many buyers' needs with just at-home charging (as will the Model 3 when it comes out). I am not disputing how great the Supercharger network is. I use it on road trips quite a bit, and am certainly happy to discuss it with attendees to the show... just not to the detriment of other brands.

goal is to promote the adoption of all EVs and the fact is not everyone can afford a Tesla right now. Plug 'n Drive will have a number of new EVs to test drive

+1 ! There are a number of compelling EV's on the market today. While Tesla has grabbed the spotlight for good reason, the other car makers are slowly starting to wake up. We want lots of EV's sold, not just Tesla's.

Even if I could afford a Tesla in 2013, I bought a Smart ED as my family wasn't as confident as I was about EV's. It was the kind of purchase where my wife would just agree and not care. She then came to love that car, and it made the purchase of a Tesla possible (and easy) because she is an advocate now as well!

The more EV types available, the better.

Reactions: Jaff and Spenny818