Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging Option Not Showing Up on Tesla Powerwall App Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just had Tesla solar panels installed with 3 Powerwalls today. They were able connect to my existing non-Tesla solar panels (LG panels with Enphase microinverters).
I was looking at the app monitoring energy flow and have the following questions.

• I have a Tesla vehicle but I don't see the EV Charging option under settings. Will it show as an option after PG&E give permission to operate? Or is there something I need to do to get it show up. I'm currently on time of use but switching to EV charging plan next month.
  • Tesla installer said they were able to connect the Tesla 4.8kwh solar panels to my existing 4.1kwh non-Tesla panels (Enphase microinverters). I was told both would be able to charge up the Powerwalls. My question is will 8.9kwh show up on the app or only 4.8kwh show on the Tesla app while solar is producing energy. I took a look this afternoon right after they finished installation and looks like it was showing 4.1kwh being produced but I don't know if it's because it was later in the day so less energy was being produced or if the Tesla app is only showing performance of the Tesla panels.
  • Do most people choose Time-Based Control vs. Self Powered? I have 3 Powerwalls but I'm wondering if running on Self Powered would degrade the batteries a lot faster then running it on Time-Based Control.
Thanks!

Hi,

I just had Tesla solar panels installed with 3 Powerwalls today. They were able connect to my existing non-Tesla solar panels (LG panels with Enphase microinverters).
I was looking at the app monitoring energy flow and have the following questions.

• I have a Tesla vehicle but I don't see the EV Charging option under settings. Will it show as an option after PG&E give permission to operate? Or is there something I need to do to get it show up. I'm currently on time of use but switching to EV charging plan next month.
I would give it a week. A lot of features from Tesla like TBC will not show up for a number of days.
  • Tesla installer said they were able to connect the Tesla 4.8kwh solar panels to my existing 4.1kwh non-Tesla panels (Enphase microinverters). I was told both would be able to charge up the Powerwalls. My question is will 8.9kwh show up on the app or only 4.8kwh show on the Tesla app while solar is producing energy. I took a look this afternoon right after they finished installation and looks like it was showing 4.1kwh being produced but I don't know if it's because it was later in the day so less energy was being produced or if the Tesla app is only showing performance of the Tesla panels.
You should have 2 views (3 if you have a Tesla car) that you swipe between:
  • The first one is the major one that shows all 4 factors (home, solar, PW, grid)
  • The second one is for your Tesla solar. It only shows that portion of your solar install
The one that shows all 4 factors includes everything (backed up and non backed up home draw, all solar, your PWs and the grid). If that is not the case then there is a CT issue somewhere.
  • Do most people choose Time-Based Control vs. Self Powered? I have 3 Powerwalls but I'm wondering if running on Self Powered would degrade the batteries a lot faster then running it on Time-Based Control.
Thanks!
TBD. I don't think anyone really knows. I would not let that be a factor and use the system in the mode that best suits you.

Reactions: bmah
Welcome to the PW club! As others said, give it time a few days after PTO for all features to reveal themselves.

Do most people choose Time-Based Control vs. Self Powered? I have 3 Powerwalls but I'm wondering if running on Self Powered would degrade the batteries a lot faster then running it on Time-Based Control.
I run self powered only because we have no TOU pricing and so just trying to run as self-contained as possible. And trying to have as much charge as possible for our VPP events!