Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Eco Hitch Installed - Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recommend getting the installation instructions emailed from tlcentral. There are tons of details about removing the plastic bumper and covers below. Hat seems to be the harder part.

All -

My "Bike to Work" day...

Sometimes when I have clients to visit in Manhattan, I'll drive down to 158th Street on the Hudson River where there's a free parking lot. Bike down the NYC Greenway to the upper west or east side to my appointments. After I'm done, I typically do some loops in Central Park and then bike back to the car and drive home!

Thank You Torklift Central for making the Model S EcoHitch!

Aaron

IMG_1183.jpg
IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg

John

I was wearing a white nylon underarmour short sleeve shirt and cargo shorts. Had a backpack with cycling shorts and shoes (and misc. computer related items - I'm an independent IT Tech). Changed before doing my loops in Central Park. I only do this when visiting long time clients with whom I have a good relationship... They don't mind at all :smile:

The lot is great (2 lots actually)... Never busy weekdays but on weekends, get there by 10am or so before it fills up!

Aaron

PS - Do you have an EcoHitch installed on your Model S?

Just curious, you get to meet clients in a T-shirt and shorts? Didn't see a bag for a change of clothes.

Thanks for teaching me about the free lot ... may need to take advantage of that.

I got my Eco-hitch installed by the Tesla Service Center in Watertown a week ago, Immediately mounted my new Thule Apex 4-bike rack, and the next day took our daughters for a bike ride at Deer Island Park. It worked well, and I love that it helps make a statement that the Model S is an everyday, highly versatile, car - not a "toy for the rich" or a "golf cart". A great addition to a great car.

I also got the Undercover unit to cover the underbody hole when the hitch is not in use. Will install it when winter is near and we're done biking for the year.

That brings up a point. I got the 1-1/4" hitch but was thinking that if I needed a 2" hitch in future it might be possible to buy just the external part - haven't asked the company nor did I see it sold separately on the website but it would make sense.

yse6y5aq.jpg

6eva6u8y.jpg

ybyhezuj.jpg

yhy6asyr.jpg

Last edited:
I got my Eco-hitch installed by the Tesla Service Center in Watertown a week ago, Immediately mounted my new Thule Apex 4-bike rack, and the next day took our daughters for a bike ride at Deer Island Park. It worked well, and I love that it helps make a statement that the Model S is an everyday, highly versatile, car - not a "toy for the rich" or a "golf cart". A great addition to a great car.

I also got the Undercover unit to cover the underbody hole when the hitch is not in use. Will install it when winter is near and we're done biking for the year.
I'm curious as this is something I considered as well. What was the total cost?

That brings up a point. I got the 1-1/4" hitch but was thinking that if I needed a 2" hitch in future it might be possible to buy just the external part - haven't asked the company nor did I see it sold separately on the website but it would make sense.

Looks GREAT Peter! Looking forward to getting the Thule Apex as well and replacing the Saris rack I had gotten... Thanks for the pictures!

Aaron

Looks GREAT Peter! Looking forward to getting the Thule Apex as well and replacing the Saris rack I had gotten... Thanks for the pictures!

Aaron

Thanks, Aaron. One more note: there's no need for the heavier and more expensive swing away model - the trunk door clears the Apex rack with room to spare when opening. You do need to watch that it doesn't hit the first bike's handlebar however. Mine can if the wheel is turned too far.

I was thinking of getting this ecohitch, but was worried about the maximum tongue weight of 200lbs, since 4 bikes and my old hitch rack might be pushing the limit. Seeing these pix is encouraging. Thanks for posting. When fully loaded with 4 bikes does it still feel quite sturdy??

Thanks, Aaron. One more note: there's no need for the heavier and more expensive swing away model - the trunk door clears the Apex rack with room to spare when opening. You do need to watch that it doesn't hit the first bike's handlebar however. Mine can if the wheel is turned too far.

Thanks for that tip Peter... Was thinking it could and wasn't planning on getting the swing away model. Also thanks for the tip on it being on sale at REI for $319! Cheapest I saw before was on Amazon for about $354!

Aaron

I was thinking of getting this ecohitch, but was worried about the maximum tongue weight of 200lbs, since 4 bikes and my old hitch rack might be pushing the limit. Seeing these pix is encouraging. Thanks for posting. When fully loaded with 4 bikes does it still feel quite sturdy??

I had an old Thule swing away with 2" mount that weighed twice the new Apex. I gave it to my sister because I don't want to put that much weight on the Ecohitch. I only had three bikes loaded but it felt fine. The hitch was rock solid and the rack sturdy. But there's a little play in the Apex's tilt-down latch (to allow for opening a tailgate, but you're not supposed to tilt it when loaded with bikes). So when I hit a big bump, I could sometimes hear the rack shifting back and forth within that play. Not a problem however.

Thanks for that tip Peter... Was thinking it could and wasn't planning on getting the swing away model. Also thanks for the tip on it being on sale at REI for $319! Cheapest I saw before was on Amazon for about $354!

Aaron

I missed this sale because I bought the rack a few weeks ago. If you're an REI member you get a 10% annual rebate, so you would effectively get another $32 off the $319.99

Last edited:
We appreciate all of the feedback about the EcoHitch from Torklift Central. If you have any questions about the hitch, please refer all questions to [email protected] for a quick and detailed response.

In honor of National Plug in Day 2013 Torklift Central is offering $25 off their hitches.

For more information you can visit torkliftcentral.com/pluginday2013
Shipping is free to the lower 48 states to help reduce cost.

Use promo code: Pluginday2013
Expires October 5th 2013

Here is my update - finally!

Got the Torklift 1.25" EcoHitch installed at Chilton's Auto Body in San Carlos. They took essentially a whole day (not sure why, I had to call several times to make sure I could still pick up the car before they closed.) They charged $400. More than I was hoping for but I had little choice given that Menlo Park and Fremont SC declined to do it.

This was right in time for a trip to wine country - Healdsburg, Santa Rosa and Sonoma.

We always take the bikes along and do one day of biking from winery to winery, this time for the first time with the Tesla.

I had bought a Thule Apex 9025 a while ago at REI during one of their sales, 20% off. It worked fine for the 3 bikes we took.

The Tesla range took a major hit with the bikes on the back. My prior average was 318 Wh/mi. Freeway driving at about 65 mph used about 400 Wh/mi, and slower driving on highways and in the city about 380 Wh/mi. In the beginning at 70 mph + on I-280 I started out at > 450 Wh/mi, and I didn't keep that speed very long realizing that I wouldn't make the distance to our hotel at that rate. I forgot to set a trip meter and don't have precise numbers, but the energy use is at least 1/3 more with bikes and rack.

The rack sits long and low, and I scraped bottom 3 times (slowly!) entering and exiting a parking lot in Sonoma where we charged on a ChargePoint J1772. It's essentially mandatory to use the Very High suspension setting any time there is a curb of any height. Even the hitch without the bike rack has hit bottom on very deep curb ditches coming out of a parking lot, so I'll take off the receiver as soon as I get a chance. The bike rack swings up and down quite a bit, which is probably mostly due to the lean-back latch that is not rock solid, but the hitch itself seems to flex a bit too.

Hope this helps someone. Now I just need to get an "Undercover" before the rainy season starts here ... Waiting to get over the shipping sticker shock for this item :)

Finally got my Ecohitch installed today. I was referred by the Tesla SC in West L.A. to a Ferrari shop right near them. Apparently, they do a majority of the body work for this particular Tesla SC.
A few Teslas were there, along with a few Masarati's and a lot of Farrari's. Some were actual race cars.

They were prompt, professional and very friendly. Took them 3 hours and charged me $315. Not bad really. Initially, I was going to do it myself, then figured it would take me at least twice as long, and probably accompanied by a bunch of cursing. If anyone in the L.A. region is looking for someone to do this, give either John or Lucas a call at:

Ferrari Beverly Hills Collision Center

2110 Cotner Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90025

(888) 869-3865

Thanks for posting this 4SUPER9 :) I had contacted Eco Hitch at the beginning of the year and they recommended Rack-N-Road down in Costa Mesa. Did the Ferrari shop cut a big hole in your bumper cover? I think EcoHitch's instructions call for 8 inches. This worries me (drag, water and dirt getting in, etc). Curious about your thoughts on / experience with this.
Finally got my Ecohitch installed today. I was referred by the Tesla SC in West L.A. to a Ferrari shop right near them. Apparently, they do a majority of the body work for this particular Tesla SC.
A few Teslas were there, along with a few Masarati's and a lot of Farrari's. Some were actual race cars.

They were prompt, professional and very friendly. Took them 3 hours and charged me $315. Not bad really. Initially, I was going to do it myself, then figured it would take me at least twice as long, and probably accompanied by a bunch of cursing. If anyone in the L.A. region is looking for someone to do this, give either John or Lucas a call at:

Ferrari Beverly Hills Collision Center

2110 Cotner Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90025

(888) 869-3865

Yes. They cut out a perfectly sized hole. That must be done in order to insert the hitch and bolt it on. My advise is to keep the hitch off when not in use, for the very reasons you mentioned. I keep a ratchet socket wrench with the hitch so that I can put it on/off whenever I want. To keep water and dirt out, I also bought the hole cover from Torklift. This is a plate that covers the hole perfectly and snaps right on with a magnet. There is only a finger notch in the plate so that you can pull it off when needed. I can't imagine too much dirt will get it.

Even without the cover plate, I am confident that there will be no perceptible affect on drag.