Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 212318

--------------------------------
- 2010 2.0 Sport

- Twilight Blue Metallic
- Beige Base Interior
- Silver Forged Wheels
- Body Color Hard Top
- Adjustable Suspension
- Electronics Group
- Paint Armor (appeared to be on front of car only, but I'm not 100% sure)
- Solar Guard Windshield
- 240V UMC, 110V Spare Connector, spare floor mats & Soft Top Storage Bag included in trunk
- Xenon Headlamp Retrofit
- 2.5 Double-DIN Conversion Installed w/ newer Alpine unit than stock 2.5s
- (4) Continental Extreme Contact DWS Tires
- New PEM added in 2014; in result, current PEM is one that is NOT cosmetically labeled "Roadster Sport".
- $65,888 (10,553 Miles)
- Located in Dallas, TX
- Annual Service: overdue
Note: I checked this car out in person. I was very enticed until I looked up the battery health. CAC was 129. Car charged to 151 in Standard Mode. For a car with 10,500 miles, this was extremely low. Also overdue for its annual service, which they claimed would be taking place soon. I thought potential buyers should know.

IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1052.JPG

Was provided the above data from the seller, as well as a window sticker. What does it all mean? Between my wife/I we've had 5 Model S and 1 Model X ... but this would be our first Roadster. The fact that it is a 2010 is appealing, but it appears to have the 2.5 dash wth the 2.0 front bumper? And then @DeedWest made the comment about the CAC. Is this a car to avoid/walk away from? Thoughts?

#664 would be a 2.0 car, but if it's got a 2.5 dash that would have been done by a prior owner. It's a rather expensive procedure to do, and in my opinion worth it. Wish mine had that done; too late now, realistically. Don't worry about the PEM label. It's totally cosmetic. (Mine says Sport, and it shouldn't.) The guts inside are the same except for the firmware, which Tesla matches up to the car.

A battery CAC of 129 would be a red flag for me too. Mine (#834) is also an early 2010 2.0, but with over 40k miles on it, is at 141.x. If you have the $29k additional budget to get the 3.0 battery (and can put up with it for a year), that should probably be part of the plan. See if you can use that to negotiate the price down a bunch. If everything else is ok, it might be worth going for.

View attachment 217864 View attachment 217865 View attachment 217866

Was provided the above data from the seller, as well as a window sticker. What does it all mean? Between my wife/I we've had 5 Model S and 1 Model X ... but this would be our first Roadster. The fact that it is a 2010 is appealing, but it appears to have the 2.5 dash wth the 2.0 front bumper? And then @DeedWest made the comment about the CAC. Is this a car to avoid/walk away from? Thoughts?
That CAC would be expected on a car with 80,000 miles, not one with 10,000 miles. Essentially, it's lost more than 20% of it's battery capacity. If you'd be interested in a 3.0 battery, it's a good candidate, but the asking price is a little high..

• Helpful
Reactions: arijaycomet

Agreed with @supersnoop. I received an update from the seller stating the car has completed its annual service here in Dallas, and was given a clean bill of health. I'm assuming they took my warnings of the battery health into consideration and got those logs pulled (the files you included), though I'm not quite sure what those mean, in all honesty. It appears to outline the voltages of each sheet in the battery, but I couldn't tell you if those numbers are fantastic or not.

• Informative
Reactions: arijaycomet

This is an interesting 2.0 sport! As stated above, 2.5 dash upgrade is a plus and to me, oh, the best paint color. I like it better than my radiant red, which I do really, really like.

I agree with others you need to be cautious on the low CAC. However, I would think it through, if you are ok with say 140-150 mile or so and it s functional for you it may be fine until you want a 3.0. The critical, important key in this case is not the actual CAC, but the rate of degradation of CAC over the years. My car is sitting somewhere around 135 CAC, but it has been like that and not moved much less than 2% (besides seasonal changes ) for well over 5 years. I have one lousy brick holding back the charge on the remaining bricks, it is fine with me as those other bricks are being preserved (slightly lower state of charge after charging). Indeed, my power deliver is still full peak power (cell impedance is still good) and my round trip commute is only 50 miles or so (more miles then I need). On the other hand, if you pull the log and you see that the CAC was very healthy / stable and then started to decay significantly ..this may be bad news. In the battery world, this is not what you want to see. Also check for what others have always stated, excursion to very low voltage or many range charges are red flags. If I was local to this car, I would not be scared of this car, but rather spend the time with the charts it could be a great buy, or a great problem. Much depends on what you need. Good thing I don't live close to this car, as if the battery was stable, I would have no choice but to buy it. :). (Also double check if the cooling fan upgrade was done (single motor with two fans (vs 2 motors) when you look into the rear diffuser, this is a bonus if it was done.

2010 Roadster Sport
VIN:
#893 (US)
Mileage: 15,421
Price: $62,500
Radiant Red 2.0 Sport for sale at Select Luxury Cars in Marietta, GA. Silver alloy rims, Premium Beige / White Rally 2 seats, painted CF hardtop, Paint Armor and UMC. Possibly the lowest price Sport on the market today.

c43462f8019c459e94c0ff00b998ed21.jpg

It has the higher performance sport-only tires on the front, and the typical tires on the rear... I guess they replaced the rears and didn't use the same tire type.

2010 Roadster Sport
VIN:
#893 (US)
Mileage: 15,421
Price: $62,500
Radiant Red 2.0 Sport for sale at Select Luxury Cars in Marietta, GA. Silver alloy rims, Premium Beige / White Rally 2 seats, painted CF hardtop, Paint Armor and UMC. Possibly the lowest price Sport on the market today.

c43462f8019c459e94c0ff00b998ed21.jpg

Is that a Signature 100 emblem I'm seeing? If so, what's that doing on an #893 Roadster?

2010 Roadster Base
VIN:
#953 (US)
Mileage: 24,048
Price: $65,950
Glacier Blue 2.0 Base for sale at Park Place Limited in Bellevue, WA. Beige base interior, Electronics group, painted CF hardtop, UMC and SMC.

075c757123db482d94132868e602312d.jpg

This is very near me. Park Place is a well-known and respected exotic car dealer. If anyone is interested in it, I can check it out for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster