Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Pano or Not To Pano?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a tough call; I have owned several convertibles before and loved them; I hate to turn on the AC, instead I have always opened the roof in the summer.
Therefore, I got the Pano roof on my Model S, but am not totally in love with it:
I think the car looks odd with the Pano open due to the cloth wind deflector sticking out significantly. Even with this deflector, you cannot open the roof more than 75% while driving >40 mph due to the wind buffeting hurting your ears. I open the rear windows to let the air escape, but that's not ideal.
I had my windows tinted and now I really sense a lot of heat coming in through the Pano roof, so I may have to get that covered too, as others have pointed out.

In summary, while there wasn't even a question whether I should get the Pano roof for my Model S or not because I was a big convertible guy, I enjoy it much less than I thought I would. The good news is, it has not leaked.

Plus with the smartphone app it's not only possible to vent/unvent the roof, the ability to turn on the AC and pre-cool the car eliminates any negatives from having more heat through the pano.

+1. I like being able to vent/unvent via the smartphone app on hot days. If stormy clouds suddenly appear out of nowhere, I like being able to close it remotely. Very nice feature. When I get home, I usually open up the top and let all the heat out. It's too bad you can't control the side windows with the app.

I haven't had it leak on me, but it does make a squeaky noise when I open it now. It probably needs to get re-lubed. The other problem I have is the buffeting that occurs when the sunroof is open at moderate speeds, but that is usually resolved by partially opening the side windows.