Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a low tire pressure alert in orange. On the touch screen, it's showing my front passenger side tire at 35 psi and driver side at 36 psi, both in orange colour. The rear tires show 36 psi as well but in black colour. On the same screen on the top, it says 'Recommended Cold Pressure front and rear 42 at psi. So the question is should I fill the air only in my front passenger tire to inflate it to 36 psi, or should I inflate all 4 tires to 42 psi? It's a winter season and cold in my region. Thanks.

I saw a low tire pressure alert in orange.

Yeah, it happens every winter.
Ambient temps drop, as so does the air pressure in the tires.

So the question is should I fill the air only in my front passenger tire to inflate it to 36 psi, or should I inflate all 4 tires to 42 psi? It's a winter season and cold in my region. Thanks.

Always inflate all tires to the same pressure level, unless you are on track and know what you are doing.
In your case, I would inflate all 4 tires to 45psi all around, as the temps will be dropping further.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
I saw a low tire pressure alert in orange. On the touch screen, it's showing my front passenger side tire at 35 psi and driver side at 36 psi, both in orange colour. The rear tires show 36 psi as well but in black colour. On the same screen on the top, it says 'Recommended Cold Pressure front and rear 42 at psi. So the question is should I fill the air only in my front passenger tire to inflate it to 36 psi, or should I inflate all 4 tires to 42 psi? It's a winter season and cold in my region. Thanks.
My low tire pressure alert was on on a very cold morning and showed pressure of about 35 in all four tires but then after I drove it on the highway the pressure went back up to 42 so just a heads up on that

Upvote 0
My low tire pressure alert was on on a very cold morning and showed pressure of about 35 in all four tires but then after I drove it on the highway the pressure went back up to 42 so just a heads up on that
You're suppose to pump the tires to 42 PSI first thing in the morning because you're supposed to pump the tires to the recommended tire pressure when the temperature is at the coldest. When the tires warm up, it's okay for the tire pressure to be higher than recommended.

Peter

Upvote 0
You're suppose to pump the tires to 42 PSI first thing in the morning because you're supposed to pump the tires to the recommended tire pressure when the temperature is at the coldest. When the tires warm up, it's okay for the tire pressure to be higher than recommended.

Peter
Filling tires in the morning when temps are coldest is only partially true. If you've just driven your car 100 miles and it's 7AM, it's the wrong time to fill your tires. The tires themselves have to cool down after any kind of drive before you check their pressure. After they've cooled down (say an hour later) then see what the tire pressure is and act accordingly.

Upvote 0
So the question is should I fill the air only in my front passenger tire to inflate it to 36 psi, or should I inflate all 4 tires to 42 psi? It's a winter season and cold in my region. Thanks.
Inflate all tires to 42 when the tires are cold during a cold part of the day.

Falling temperatures mean falling tire air pressures, so check more frequently during autumn and winter. Since they put the tire air pressure card back in the most recent software, you can keep it on for easy monitoring.

Properly inflated tires will be better for handling, braking, economy, range, and tire life compared to underinflated tires.

Reactions: turns2stone
Upvote 0
Filling tires in the morning when temps are coldest is only partially true. If you've just driven your car 100 miles and it's 7AM, it's the wrong time to fill your tires. The tires themselves have to cool down after any kind of drive before you check their pressure. After they've cooled down (say an hour later) then see what the tire pressure is and act accordingly.
Thanks for this info.

Upvote 0
So, this seems to suggest that having the pressure at 35 is not an alarming thing. Thanks.
Ah. No.

If the blame sticker on the car says 42 or 45 or whatever-it-is, cold, then that's what it durn well ought to be. The people who make tires and cars expect that the tires are going to get warm when they're driven around.

And they design things so the tires get minimal wear at their inflated, warm temperatures. If one starts at 35, yeah, one can make the TPMS alarm to go away by warming up the tires some. But those tires will be underinflated, which means that the edges of the tire are going to wear preferentially over the middle of the tire. Not to mention that traction is going to be impacted, since the whole tire isn't making good contact with the road.

Now, people do underinflate tires to get a softer ride. But I would strongly suggest that if the nominal tire pressure is 42 or something, 35 is 'way too low.

Upvote 0
Hello friends:

This is a further update on the Tire Pressure.

I brought my car to a Tesla shop and they filled the air.
The following are two images for your info.
- Tire pressure before the service
- Tire pressure after the service

Attachments

• Tire pressure before the Service - 2023-01-17.jpg
    Tire pressure before the Service - 2023-01-17.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 332
  • Tire pressure after the Service done on 2023-01-17.jpg
    Tire pressure after the Service done on 2023-01-17.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Funny
Reactions: cmy4x4
Upvote 0
Hello friends:

This is a further update on the Tire Pressure.

I brought my car to a Tesla shop and they filled the air.
The following are two images for your info.
- Tire pressure before the service
- Tire pressure after the service
Yup, they bumped it up from 35 psi to 45 psi, plus or minus the inaccuracy of the pressure measuring widgets.

But this the following is going to sound stupid: Since even before learning how to drive, back when I was a teenager in the 1960's, I knew how to use a gas station air pump to get the tires to the correct pressure. I mean, Mom and Dad would be out getting gas in the car, taking the young 'uns to the bathroom, getting snacks, and me and the older member of the crew would run around pressure checking the tires. I mean: Tire pressure has been a thing since I've been alive. And I thought that every auto driver checked tire pressures periodically and especially on long trips.

Since there's always been a bicycle in whatever garage I've been associated with, there's been a bicycle pump, and those things can and will pump up a car's tires. (Especially as modern bike tires are up north of 85 psi, so the 40-45 of a Tesla holds no problems for those.) Beyond that, $25-$45 (or less, if they're on sale) will get one one of those 12V-powered air pumps that'll do the trick. And while the availability of free air pumps is sadly down from decades ago, one can pretty much find a gas station with either a free or feed-the-box-quarters air pump in lots of places.

One needs to go to a Service Center to fill a tire with air? What's wrong with the world?

Reactions: Shelburne
Upvote 0
The pressure in your tires should be adjusted every 2-3 month. All tires leak air to the tune of about 1psi/month and need to be topped off once in a while.
With the tire pressure display, it is easy to check tire pressures and adjust as needed.

Adjustment is more frequently needed in the autumn and winter, when falling temperature causes falling pressure.

Upvote 0
Yup, they bumped it up from 35 psi to 45 psi, plus or minus the inaccuracy of the pressure measuring widgets.

But this the following is going to sound stupid: Since even before learning how to drive, back when I was a teenager in the 1960's, I knew how to use a gas station air pump to get the tires to the correct pressure. I mean, Mom and Dad would be out getting gas in the car, taking the young 'uns to the bathroom, getting snacks, and me and the older member of the crew would run around pressure checking the tires. I mean: Tire pressure has been a thing since I've been alive. And I thought that every auto driver checked tire pressures periodically and especially on long trips.

Since there's always been a bicycle in whatever garage I've been associated with, there's been a bicycle pump, and those things can and will pump up a car's tires. (Especially as modern bike tires are up north of 85 psi, so the 40-45 of a Tesla holds no problems for those.) Beyond that, $25-$45 (or less, if they're on sale) will get one one of those 12V-powered air pumps that'll do the trick. And while the availability of free air pumps is sadly down from decades ago, one can pretty much find a gas station with either a free or feed-the-box-quarters air pump in lots of places.

One needs to go to a Service Center to fill a tire with air? What's wrong with the world?
Hello Comrades: Thank you for your comments and insights; please keep it up. I'm also from the era of the 1970s.

Checking tire pressure, and pumping air are trivial things that every (average) person is expected to do and they do it regularly. Exempted would be those filthy rich, kings and queens and corrupt politicians who have slaves and servants to do that for their masters.

I drove the car to the Tesla shop for two reasons: 1. Since nowadays tires are filled with nitrogen or plain air, I did not know what Tesla tires had. 2. I wanted to see how efficient their service shop is. It was worth it. While they filled the plain air they also took care of a recall, though a relatively minor one in nature, for which I had not received any communication. They installed an O-ring on Trunk Power-Strut. I was in and out within 15 minutes. The shop was location was a 10 minutes drive from my home. I paid nothing.

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0