Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

thoughts on Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yep. According to DT Pirelli and Michelin are best at honoring warranty since they take their word for it. Here in AZ dry rot is a problem too.

Love the handling, but I've noticed I've had to top off air more recently compared to Michelin OEMs
me too! interesting find. I'm pretty religious at keeping them at 42psi cold and noticed that after a few weeks they are down to just 40/41 psi. not a huge deal but the Michelins i might have topped off every few months if that. and it's all 4 tires so not a slow nail leak somewhere.

me too! interesting find. I'm pretty religious at keeping them at 42psi cold and noticed that after a few weeks they are down to just 40/41 psi. not a huge deal but the Michelins i might have topped off every few months if that. and it's all 4 tires so not a slow nail leak somewhere.

Glad I'm not the only one going crazy. I wonder how weather affects it too?

Would get nitrogen @sam's but I love the convenience of DT. I wonder if there are other reports, how this affects efficiency..

CrossClimate2 is a great tire but it will be noisier and folks have reported here that the mileage/efficiency hit is north of (10%). Probably not a big deal for daily driving but on long road-trips it could get tiresome. The P Zero Elect AS Plus have a 50k mileage warranty... so if the tires are "shot" after just 30k or so miles ... you get a pro-rated discount.
CrossClimate2s have a 60k warranty though compared to 50k. I'd think a touring tire would last longer than the P Zero which is more in the performance tire category so the rating does make sense to me. With that said yeah I've heard about the loss in driving efficiency, but this is probably because the tire has really good traction wet, dry, or even a bit of snow.

I want to be cautious here because I feel like if we only focus on efficiency, then you end up with those green tires they give Prius drivers with super low rolling resistance but then terrible traction.

I do wish there was a better way to compare mileage efficiency across tires. TireRack's charts make you think that anything is better than OEM tires.

Edit: I should mention that I was set on the Pirelli AS Plus 3s until the sales guy at DT told me about the Elect. I made a quick call after Googling in the few minutes I had and decided to stick with AS Plus 3s, so hopefully I didn't make the wrong choice. 70k warranty is a long time so I'll probably be stuck with these tires for quite a while.

I do wish there was a better way to compare mileage efficiency across tires.
Yes. Some drivers might be willing to give up 1% or 5% of economy and range to get a significantly better performing tire, but may not be willing to give up 10% or 20% of economy and range. But it is hard to know whether a tire model will cost 1% or 5% or 10% or 20% of economy and range before buying it.

CrossClimate2s have a 60k warranty though compared to 50k. I'd think a touring tire would last longer than the P Zero which is more in the performance tire category so the rating does make sense to me. With that said yeah I've heard about the loss in driving efficiency, but this is probably because the tire has really good traction wet, dry, or even a bit of snow.

I want to be cautious here because I feel like if we only focus on efficiency, then you end up with those green tires they give Prius drivers with super low rolling resistance but then terrible traction.

I do wish there was a better way to compare mileage efficiency across tires. TireRack's charts make you think that anything is better than OEM tires.

Edit: I should mention that I was set on the Pirelli AS Plus 3s until the sales guy at DT told me about the Elect. I made a quick call after Googling in the few minutes I had and decided to stick with AS Plus 3s, so hopefully I didn't make the wrong choice. 70k warranty is a long time so I'll probably be stuck with these tires for quite a while.
yeah. also highly depends on where you live and drive. North Texas is usually quite dry and we rarely, rarely see snow/ice (and then you definitely do not want to drive- regardless what tire you have) ... so a more mediocre AS performance by the elect is acceptable for me. Now if i would live more north and a place with more frequent rainy days or snow... i would definitely pick the Crossclimate2

I live in Seattle and we have pretty rough pavement here. Loud road noise always annoys me on stock tires which were Michelin MXM 4 T0.
I put 37,000 miles on them and they wore down to 2/32.
Bought a Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect a week ago at Discount Tire.
Huge difference in road noise. These tires are significantly quieter and more energy efficient. I have a Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance and my average consumption was 269 Wh/m.
On the new Pirellis, my average consumption is 249 Wh/m in the last 500 miles that I drove them.
Yes, of course, in winter they will behave much worse on snow than Michelin CrossClimate 2, but we rarely get snow and usually do not last more than 2-3 days. And in this weather, I prefer not to use my car. Therefore, for me it was not very critical to be able to drive in the snow.

CrossClimate2 is a great tire but it will be noisier and folks have reported here that the mileage/efficiency hit is north of (10%). Probably not a big deal for daily driving but on long road-trips it could get tiresome. The P Zero Elect AS Plus have a 50k mileage warranty... so if the tires are "shot" after just 30k or so miles ... you get a pro-rated discount.
Here's my observations with the Michelin OEM, CrossClimate, and Pirelli P Zero AS with Elect Markings.

The CrossClimate are quieter on my Model 3 over the Pirelli - P Zero AS Plus with Elect Markings and the Michelin OEM. And they are a smooth rolling tire. The big deal for me is the efficiency is horrible. I have two 2021 Model 3 LR's and when comparing using a 1 hour test run the Model 3 with the Michelin OEM tires is 19% more efficient then my Model 3 with the CrossClimate's! Both cars have their tires mounted on 18" Martian Wheels.

Comparing the Pirelli mounted on the OEM 18" wheels with the Areo covers, the difference is 8.1% better then the CrossClimate's mounted on the Martian Wheels. The Martian Wheels are 1/2" narrower then the OEM and a lot lighter. So even without Areo covers, they are efficient.

I am getting ready to have the Pirelli's mounted on the Martian Wheels and run the same course to compare the results. Since I use one of my Model 3's to go cross country frequently, I need good economy. Last trip I took (round trip of 4600 miles) was with the CrossClimate's and I was stopping a lot more for charging and also charging to higher levels before continuing my trip.

If the Pirelli's do not come up to the level of the Michelin's OEM in my next comparison, then I will be replacing my set of Michelin's OEM with another set. They just do not last over 25-27k for me. Otherwise, the CrossClimate's are going on my wife's Model 3 since that is a daily driver and range is not as big of deal.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I've had the 19" Pirelli P Zero AS+ Elects on my LR Model 3 for a littler over 1700 miles and I'm happy to report that I'm getting around the same 258kw/h efficiency as with the stock Continental ProContactRX (efficiency might be affected by the Ikon Motorsport lip and mud guards but they were on there before and I avg 80mph during my commute). Just to give you a little background, I came from being on a set of ProContactRX's for 44k miles after going 60k miles on the original ProContactRX set from the dealer. I purchased and had my tires installed at Discount Tire.

Initial impressions: the sidewall of the Pirelli is much harder than the Continental, which made bumps a little more pronounced than before. I suppose that is to be expected since the tire is rated for higher mileage. It is also more rounded than the Continental, so that lends to better cornering and quicker turn-in. The ride is very quiet on smooth paved roads and when it's really quiet in the cabin you can really hear/almost feel how the tread of the tire is making contact with the road. I really like the dual texture on the sidewall for the logo branding and lettering. It has that velvety look to it make it seem two tone. The one thing I found as a negative with the tire is that it doesn't offer much rim protection like some other manufacturers like Continental and Michelin.

1730 mile impressions: The tires seem to have bedded in nicely and aren't as jarring as it was on bumps like when they were new. My LR M3 seems to be pretty happy on these tires, Autopilot and regen braking working as expected (oh I forgot that I once tried out the Yokohama YK740 GTX thinking it was going to be an efficient tire because of it's LRR feature, but NO. Avoid that tire -your efficiency will be in the 680's and your Autopilot and regen braking will not seem right).

So, all in all, I'm happy with the look and performance of the Pirelli Elects, and I'll report back when I get to a higher milestone with these tires. Attached are a few photos of the 19's on powder coated stock wheels.

IMG_3656.JPG
IMG_3657.JPG
IMG_3619.JPG
IMG_3646.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
@vickh How did you claim the Michelin tread warranty? My OEM MXM4's did not last 45K miles (they are barely legal right now and tread bars are showing so right at 2/32) - I thought the Michelin treadwear warranty did not apply to OEM tires? Thanks - I just ordered these through Discount Tire in Redmond, WA to replace my OEM Michelins.
I had issues with the Michelin warranty with stock staggered config on my S, they wouldn’t warrant them unless they went through “regular rotations”.

I put these on my Model S and love them. SF Bay Area driver here BTW.

Love these tires. Very quiet and in-line or better than the OEM Goodyears with quiet comfort foam. These have a warranty whereas the Goodyear's do not...which is lame.

My car had a horrible shaking at high speeds and replacing the tires fixed that problem. Maybe some of the foam came loose in the Goodyear's but I could never determine what was causing that horrible shaking. Since having these tires, my car feels new again.

Been keeping an eye on the energy use, I can say without a doubt that these are more efficient...but then again, I had 36K miles on hte Goodyear's so that is a factor too. They were not below the "replace" line but very close. I am regularly above 285KWh and often in the 300's. Like I said though, bay area driver here and it's been warm weather so take that with a grain of salt.

I can't really comment on any performance differences. To me, the tires are equal or better than the OEMs.

I purchased Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus elect three weeks ago. I agree with the previous poster, the tires are quieter, provide a better ride, and the energy efficiency is noticeably (dare I say significantly) better. I highly recommend the Pirelli P Zero Elect tire’s.
when you say better efficiency, which tire & size are you comparing to?

Better than stock 18" MXM's would be extroardinary, as I would think they're probably the most efficient possible that can handle the load. Every automaker, particularly, with an EV, has an incentive to use the most efficient tire to get the best EPA range, at least on non-sport models.

Been keeping an eye on the energy use, I can say without a doubt that these are more efficient...but then again, I had 36K miles on hte Goodyear's so that is a factor too

Tires improve efficiency the more they are worn. Race tires (types not used in rain) have no blocks and have the most grip and efficiency (if compound were different).

So if new tires are more efficient than old ones immediately, then they are definitely better.

There is some efficiency loss in the motion of the tread blocks, which is higher when the blocks are higher when new. For some of the tires, like mine (18" Michelin MXM) the stock tire versions are even shaved with lower treads (and hence lower life) than standard replacement tires to get a bit more efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: djlott
Tires improve efficiency the more they are worn. Race tires (types not used in rain) have no blocks and have the most grip and efficiency (if compound were different).

So if new tires are more efficient than old ones immediately, then they are definitely better.

There is some efficiency loss in the motion of the tread blocks, which is higher when the blocks are higher when new. For some of the tires, like mine (18" Michelin MXM) the stock tire versions are even shaved with lower treads (and hence lower life) than standard replacement tires to get a bit more efficiency.
agree.... however the brand new Pirelli's are more efficient in my case than the OEM Michelins ever were after 27k miles.... nothing but happy with the Pirelli's and they are slightly cheaper than the Michelin's. the MXM4 is just a very dated tire design the the tread level of the OEM michelin when brand new is comically low... hence they don't last. the Pirelli's come with every so slightly more tread from factory.

Reactions: DrChaos
when you say better efficiency, which tire & size are you comparing to?

Better than stock 18" MXM's would be extroardinary, as I would think they're probably the most efficient possible that can handle the load. Every automaker, particularly, with an EV, has an incentive to use the most efficient tire to get the best EPA range, at least on non-sport models.
My Model S tire size is stock 19" 245/45 R19. I'm only comparing the energy efficiency of the OEM Goodyear's, with quiet comfort foam inside, to these new Pirelli's. The difference in KWh used was noticeable immediately, as was the comfort.

I put these on my Model S and love them. SF Bay Area driver here BTW.

Love these tires. Very quiet and in-line or better than the OEM Goodyears with quiet comfort foam. These have a warranty whereas the Goodyear's do not...which is lame.

My car had a horrible shaking at high speeds and replacing the tires fixed that problem. Maybe some of the foam came loose in the Goodyear's but I could never determine what was causing that horrible shaking. Since having these tires, my car feels new again.

Been keeping an eye on the energy use, I can say without a doubt that these are more efficient...but then again, I had 36K miles on hte Goodyear's so that is a factor too. They were not below the "replace" line but very close. I am regularly above 285KWh and often in the 300's. Like I said though, bay area driver here and it's been warm weather so take that with a grain of salt.

I can't really comment on any performance differences. To me, the tires are equal or better than the OEMs.
@djlott what tire size did you use for the rears of your Model S as I heard that Pirelli P Zero AS+ Elects doesn't support 285/40R19?