Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PIRELLI P ZERO ALL SEASON 235/45/R18 - Are these decent tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Link to tire in question: Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

2022 Tesla Model 3 LR currently running the stock Michelin MXM4s, ~26k miles with 4/32" treadlife remaining. I was gonna hold off until the late fall / early winter to replace these but I found a set of Pirelli All Season tires on sale for $760 installed at Discount Tire. The only reason I'm hesitating is because of the 94V SL rating compared to the 98W XL rating of the OEM tires. Discount Tire's website shows that this tire is compatible and I called the local store to verify and they also said it is compatible.

Does anyone have experience with this particular tire for the Tesla Model 3? It is very tempting at this price point for a name brand tire, especially considering that the Continental DWS06+ are $1005 installed and everyone's favorite ION EVO AS tires are nearly $1300 installed.

Thanks!

Is this the same tire as this 9 page thread on Pirelli P Zero Tires?

Is this the same tire as this 9 page thread on Pirelli P Zero Tires?

No. That thread is for the “Elect” model specifically designed for EVs (and much more expensive).

Do not cheap out on tires!
Agree.
There's a lot to consider because of the weight of our cars. Weight changes can make a seemingly great tire on a 2500 lb vehicle into a nightmare if installed on a 4000 lb electric. But it's more than weight - the electric vehicle tires are being designed to cope with the way torque is applied to road, heat factors, and more.

I haven't been a fan of EV tires mostly because of the foam support and run-flat character making for lesser handling and rougher ride generally but have to admit that they are improving each year. This all said I'd look closer at the tires that Kimmi bought and reported to you above.

Link to tire in question: Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

2022 Tesla Model 3 LR currently running the stock Michelin MXM4s, ~26k miles with 4/32" treadlife remaining. I was gonna hold off until the late fall / early winter to replace these but I found a set of Pirelli All Season tires on sale for $760 installed at Discount Tire. The only reason I'm hesitating is because of the 94V SL rating compared to the 98W XL rating of the OEM tires. Discount Tire's website shows that this tire is compatible and I called the local store to verify and they also said it is compatible.

Does anyone have experience with this particular tire for the Tesla Model 3? It is very tempting at this price point for a name brand tire, especially considering that the Continental DWS06+ are $1005 installed and everyone's favorite ION EVO AS tires are nearly $1300 installed.

Thanks!
Can you get the PZero Elect version? What you found is the 'generic' non-EV tire. It's probably fine but will have more noise and lower efficiency than the EV specific version of the tire. The price is attractive and if you aren't set on EV specific tires, go for it.

94V vs 98W is probably not important unless you have high loads.

Do not cheap out on tires! I just replaced MXMs with P-Zero Elec and could not be happier. Smoother, quieter, better handling and, it seems, almost as efficient. $1280usd out the door including Road Force balancing.
It's good to hear that the alternative EV specific tires perform better than the stock MXM4s without sacrificing much efficiency. I am not a fan of the 8/32" starting tread of the MXM4s, especially at their price point.
Agree.
There's a lot to consider because of the weight of our cars. Weight changes can make a seemingly great tire on a 2500 lb vehicle into a nightmare if installed on a 4000 lb electric. But it's more than weight - the electric vehicle tires are being designed to cope with the way torque is applied to road, heat factors, and more.

I haven't been a fan of EV tires mostly because of the foam support and run-flat character making for lesser handling and rougher ride generally but have to admit that they are improving each year. This all said I'd look closer at the tires that Kimmi bought and reported to you above.
This is my main concern with these cheaper Pirellis. Unless I hear from someone who actually used them on a Tesla, I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a standard load tire, even at nearly half the price of the alternatives.
Can you get the PZero Elect version? What you found is the 'generic' non-EV tire. It's probably fine but will have more noise and lower efficiency than the EV specific version of the tire. The price is attractive and if you aren't set on EV specific tires, go for it.

94V vs 98W is probably not important unless you have high loads.
The generic Pirellis are $760 while the Elects are $1250 installed. I'd probably do the ION EVO AS or Conti DWS06+ if I was gonna shell out $1000+ on tires, but was curious to see if anyone tried the standard load versions and to see what their experience has been with them.

I'm not worried about efficiency because with solar panels, the cost of the extra kWh per year will be significantly less than the amount I would save on the cheaper tires, assuming they are safe to use in standard (dry and wet) conditions.

I'm not worried about efficiency because with solar panels, the cost of the extra kWh per year will be significantly less than the amount I would save on the cheaper tires, assuming they are safe to use in standard (dry and wet) conditions.
In that case go for it.

Tesla shipped a 94 SL tire, the Hankook Kinergy GT (not a great tire) with the Model 3 for a while instead of the MXM4. 98XL isn't needed.

They're now using a different and I presume better Hankook with a special Tesla OEM version, Hankook S1 All Season with foam, in 3 highland with 18" in USA.

I bet the generic Pirelli will better than the Kinergy GT in everything but efficiency.

BTW the Pirelli you showed is a "HK" (Hyundai/Kia) OEM version. For me it is $228 on discount tire site not $150.

They're now using a different and I presume better Hankook with a special Tesla OEM version, Hankook S1 All Season with foam, in 3 highland with 18" in USA.
These are the reason I mentioned that the EV tires are improving. That Hankook is on my Highland and they are smooth running and handle pretty well, IMO. I wouldn't want to drive fast with them (track fast I mean) but in day to day with daily rain so far they're not causing me to want to dump them. A little noisy though.

Reactions: DrChaos
Don’t rule out the DWS06+ either, they are really good tires and that’s still a good price.
I just got mine installed a few days ago, replacing my 2nd set of MXM4’s (P3D stealth burns through tires quickly).

It’s hard to get an apples to apples comparison, but all I can say is that new DWS06+ are quieter than worn MXM4’s. Haven’t been able to really measure consumption yet but I’m expecting it to be a bit higher for a few thousand miles due to the thicker tread, as the MXM4’s come “pre-worn” from the factory with thinner tread.