Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Evenings Tesla NAIAS Preview Event Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much of what he talked about were things he also mentioned in his Automotive News Q&A session. There were a couple interesting things he mentioned.

Model 3 is going to be revealed next year. They have done a little bit of work on it, but the Model X is their focus. They could just make it look like a smaller Model S but that would be boring.
He reiterated that the Model 3 is going to be 3 horizontal bars like the E in Tesla. I hate typing and reading that symbol though so I'll stick with the numeral 3.
He confirmed there will be a large reveal event for the Model X, but didn't give any hints when.

There was more so hopefully islandbayy's video covers it all. The whole session lasted about 15 minutes followed by a mob scene with people trying to get pictures and greet him for about 5 minutes, after which he was ushered out to fly to Texas.

Much of what he talked about were things he also mentioned in his Automotive News Q&A session. There were a couple interesting things he mentioned.

Model 3 is going to be revealed next year. They have done a little bit of work on it, but the Model X is their focus. They could just make it look like a smaller Model S but that would be boring.
He reiterated that the Model 3 is going to be 3 horizontal bars like the E in Tesla. I hate typing and reading that symbol though so I'll stick with the numeral 3.
He confirmed there will be a large reveal event for the Model X, but didn't give any hints when.

There was more so hopefully islandbayy's video covers it all. The whole session lasted about 15 minutes followed by a mob scene with people trying to get pictures and greet him for about 5 minutes, after which he was ushered out to fly to Texas.

Looks like Businessweek has much of the Q&A session video:
Musk Says Tesla China Sales Decline Will Be Temporary - Businessweek

sorry for the delay everyone, The videos are still uploading. I should have Elon's entire speech/question-and-answer minus the beer incident and if you seconds where my camera decided to shut off. murphy's Law. i'm actually already almost at the mommy supercharger, the videos are uploading be a 4G. they are about 50% of the way done uploading. they were about six gigs size so that is what's taking so long. I don't have my editing software it with me.

sorry for the delay everyone, The videos are still uploading. I should have Elon's entire speech/question-and-answer minus the beer incident and if you seconds where my camera decided to shut off. murphy's Law. i'm actually already almost at the mommy supercharger, the videos are uploading be a 4G. they are about 50% of the way done uploading. they were about six gigs size so that is what's taking so long. I don't have my editing software it with me.

Your effort is much appreciated.

Thank you for doing this.

Cheers

What went wrong?

Still uploading?

There's a chunk missing at the 11 minute mark where he started to talk about battery chemistry, and then it picked back up where he was talking about battery swap. How much was missed in that time gap? Did he say anything interesting about the battery chemistries?

There's a chunk missing at the 11 minute mark where he started to talk about battery chemistry, and then it picked back up where he was talking about battery swap. How much was missed in that time gap? Did he say anything interesting about the battery chemistries?
that's where my cam decided to **** itself off... Murphy's law :-( he said a 15% improvement in density has been achieved compared to current model s. lost about 30 seconds of talk.

- - - Updated - - -

I am editing together video right now to show the whole event and not just broken clips. it will be up this afternoon.

he said a 15% improvement in density has been achieved compared to current model s. lost about 30 seconds of talk.

That's pretty close to what the poster "insiderinfo" claimed in his posts about Model X with the CAD drawing that got taken down. The only other major claims the guy made were that the X would indeed ship with 60 kWh and 85 kWh battery options only and the front end changed a lot (no nose cone). It will be interesting to see if the rest of those come true.

that's where my cam decided to **** itself off... Murphy's law :-( he said a 15% improvement in density has been achieved compared to current model s. lost about 30 seconds of talk.

- - - Updated - - -

I am editing together video right now to show the whole event and not just broken clips. it will be up this afternoon.

Thanks a lot for doing the video!

Can you clarify whether Elon mentioned how the approx 15% improvemnt in energy density for Model X will be utilized. I was thinking that if they are able to put about 15% more energy in each cell at approximately same price and weight, they can either have the same quantity of cells as in MS, which will result in the same battery cost and weight, but larger capacity. They can also have 15% less cells, cutting weight, with the battery having the same capacity as MS. Alternatively, they can have some sort of combination of the two approaches above.

Could you provide more details on what Elon said regarding this?