Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the model x on the model s platform is not in direct competition with the rav4. Different price points and performance. I don't think Toyota feels threatened at all. The Bluestar awaits a drop in battery prices and success of the model S. There is currently room for a lot of growth.

toyota-rav4_100331386_m.jpg
toyota-rav4_100331384_m.jpg
toyota-rav4_100331385_m.jpg
toyota-rav4_100331387_m.jpg

http://www.greencarreports.com/pictures/1051691_2010-la-auto-show-toyota-tesla-rav4-ev-under-the-hood_gallery-1#100331389

Last edited:
The RAV4 on the test drive was one of 35 modified by Tesla for testing, but there still are many things unsettled, including what type of motor to use, the instrument panel, the number of battery cells and the amount of energy storage for the vehicle.

This variant had 37 kilowatt hours of useable energy storage, which gives the 4,000-pound compact SUV a nominal range of 100 miles and top speed of 100 mph.

In San Diego?

Toward the end of the drive, a mysterious ailment caused the car to launch very slowly – perhaps due to excessive battery heat.
Toyota isn’t sure it will use the induction motor Tesla uses. Its Prius hybrid and other electric vehicles under development use a permanent magnet motor that’s small, light and powerful, but relatively expensive compared to the induction motor in the Tesla.
Sounds like they had a PEM or motor over heat (an issue if you push the Roadster powertrain). I always felt this image suggested they planned to be using the integrated PEM/motor water cooled package from the Model S.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1124&d=1290130636.jpg

13-tesla-model-s-development-1300678229.jpg

This variant had 37 kilowatt hours of useable energy storage, which gives the 4,000-pound compact SUV a nominal range of 100 miles and top speed of 100 mph.
Compared to Leaf that is perhaps 10 kwh more. Leaf is lighter by about 600 pounds and has a cd of .29. May be they are targetting 100 miles EPA range i.e. 130 miles without the 30% correction factor ?

I wonder. If the air cooled setup was good enough for the Roadster it should be plenty good enough for the lower performance RAV4. Unless they are trying to get max performance out of it as well and it's working so much harder with the higher weight.

I wonder. If the air cooled setup was good enough for the Roadster it should be plenty good enough for the lower performance RAV4. Unless they are trying to get max performance out of it as well and it's working so much harder with the higher weight.

My guess is it's a continuous power vs. peak power issue. The Roadster is a small, relatively lightweight car, so the continuous power needs are pretty low (assuming you're not climbing Pike's Peak or thrashing it around a road track). In that setup they can get away with a lower continuous (thermally stable) power point compared to the max power.

For a heavier, much less aerodynamic RAV4 the continuous power requirements would seem to be much larger, and you could run into overheating of the motor or PEM with much less "effort" compared to a Roadster. IMO this would be the biggest technology advantage of the liquid-cooled Model S setup in the RAV4.

Where is this photo from? Any news on the Toyota release of the Rav 4?
I found it on flicker (click on photo to follow link) and asked the poster for any details. There's no "new" news as far as I know.
Apparently this was at a car show in Hawaii. From the photographer:
This was at the honolulu international auto show and it suprised me that toyota didn't make there own engine for this car. the auto show was last last sunday march 20

Apparently this was at a car show in Hawaii...

http://www.heco.com/portal/site/heco/menuitem.508576f78baa14340b4c0610c510b1ca/?vgnextoid=b719077bc6aae210VgnVCM1000005c011bacRCRD&cpsextcurrchannel=1
Hawaiian Electric brings electric vehicle story to the 2011 Auto Show

Peter Rosegg: 808-543-7780
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 14, 2011
(Honolulu, Hawaii) For the second consecutive year, Hawaiian Electric Company is a key partner with the Hawaii Automobile Dealers Association (HADA) for the 2011 First Hawaiian International Auto Show at the Hawaii Convention Center, Friday, March 18 to Sunday, March 20, 2011.
The Hawaiian Electric display near the doors to the exhibition hall will provide answers to many questions about electric vehicles. On hand will be representatives of:
• Plug-in America, a national grass-roots EV organization;
• the Electric Vehicle Association of Hawaii;
• Blue Planet Foundation, the Hawaii based organization with the mission to end use of fossil fuels on Earth;
• Better Place, the global provider of EV networks and services; and
• AeroVironment; Coulomb Technologies and Volta, local and national EV charge station providers.
In addition, Hawaiian Electric personnel will be on hand to explain the utility’s discount EV Charging Rates and other support for making Hawaii EV-Ready.
“I know of no other place in the country where the local utility and the local automobile dealers association are working so closely together to make a dynamic market for electric vehicles,” said Dave Rolf, HADA director.
“We are happy to be at the auto show again,” said Robbie Alm, Hawaiian Electric executive vice president. “If Hawaii is going to reach our aggressive goals for a clean energy future, we need to reduce our use of oil for transportation, not just for electricity. The auto show is a chance to talk to thousands of auto enthusiasts and future auto buyers about our clean energy future.”
The theme of the show is “The Big Bang – The New Universe of Automotive Technology. The new alternative fuel vehicles on display are scheduled to include: Chevrolet Volt; Nissan LEAF™; Honda CR-Z Hybrid; Kia Optima Hybrid; Lexus CT 200h; Mitsubishi i; Toyota Plug-in-Prius; Toyota Prius V and Toyota RAV4 EV.

Apparently this was at a car show in Hawaii.

I was representing Plug In America in the HECO booth.

The RAV4 was sitting out with the hood up, but everything else locked with a "Prototype, not for sale" sign on it. It doesn't look so hot in the photo, but in person the PEM under the hood looked pretty cool. Inside, you could see the Roadster's gear selector pushbuttons. There wasn't much in terms of details on signs, and while the company rep did make a big deal about the partnership with Tesla and the old RAV4-EVs, they didn't give many details about the car.

HECO had a brand-new Leaf delivered to the booth on the second day. Blue Planet's founder had a Tesla in the booth; most of the employees and volunteers didn't know a lot about it, so I spent some time over there answering questions.

The show also had a Wheego Whip, Mitsubishi i-Miev, Nissan Leaf, and two Chevy Volts.