Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great HOV Sticker Hack (making your HOV stickers removable)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see cops waiting and watching the HOV lanes all the time. The real reason I wanted to mention it is that there are some cranky law enforcement guys out there that will nail you for any and everything. I've experienced it myself. Ridiculous stuff like the lame front license plate fine. Give me a break! And there are nice, easygoing officers too. I guess, based on my experience, I'm not willing to take the chance anymore. I used to.

I think the idea of placing the sticker on another, less aggressive sticker is the best solution. Getting off the original adhesive is a nightmare.

In the SF Bay Area, especially on busy/congested roads (like 680) or bridges (like the Bay Bridge) enforcement is pretty rigorous. Some CHP officers are reportedly sticklers about having the stickers attached (yes, theoretically numerically matched to your registration). And in fact the better reason to have them visible is to reduce road rage from the unwashed masses in the #2 lane staring at what appears to be a fancy luxury car cheating in the HOV lane.

FWIW, I mounted all 3 stickers on the black fascia below the painted surfaces...less obtrusive but legal.

Attachments

• T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,498
For reference: Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage Q/A 23 says ... "on the rear quarter panels" ... "behind the wheel wells" and "on the right side of the rear bumper only" respectively.

The illustrative pictogram is from an era before rear diffusers and the placement looks exactly like on my MS :biggrin:

You'd actually have to put the side stickers really high to put them on the quarter panel, as the bumper cover wraps around. So almost nobody follows the law 100%, it seems.

You'd actually have to put the side stickers really high to put them on the quarter panel, as the bumper cover wraps around. So almost nobody follows the law 100%, it seems.
I think "quarter panel" was probably decided by some bureaucrat as a good description of that area, rather than the actual panel. Many cars would have trouble placing the stickers on the quarter panel behind the wheel wells. They just don't make cars like that any more. Bumpers are plastic and wrap around. A Model S with the sticker on the quarter panel would look very different than the car in CA's example graphic. My other vehicle has no quarter panel behind the wheel at all, the whole thing is bumper cover.

Just wondering but why not mount those carpool stickers to Clear Bra material and then stick the clear bra to the car's paint? That shouldn't cause damage a few fews from now, should it? ClearBra on ebay is dirt cheap and can be mounted in minutes.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I ordered the material on eBay and should receive the HOV stickers soon from the DMV. I think the process is to stick the HOV decals to the 3M Clear Bra material, cut out the 3M material and decals so that the 3M material is the same shape and size as the decals, and then adhere the 3M material to the car. Any tips on how to best adhere the 3M material and decal to the car? For those that have done this, has anyone had any problems with the decals coming off when washing the car or driving while it is raining?

I used this "attach the sticker to clear bra and then put the clear bra on the car" method on my sig Model S. The sticker went through many car washes and lasted for over 3 1/2 years before I sold the car. I have used the same method again on my Model X. Easy to do and only costs a few dollars for a piece of clear bra from a local installer. Takes less than 5 minutes to do.