Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The front tweeters are not my favorites.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an MYP, which means that I have the upgraded audio system. I don't know much about this -- what its components are or how they differ from the other Teslas or other car brands -- I only know what I hear. In general, it sounds very good.

But the tweeters in the front, and perhaps others, are not great. They are easily smeared. I'd call it distortion but they exhibit this sound at lower volumes, too, so although we could still call it a distortion of the audio it's not due to an overdriving of the driver nor the amp (well, probably not the amp). I'm not talking about the higher end of vocals, I'm talking about way up there. 12 KHz and above. That frequency we hear when our ears are ringing (or if we have Tinnitus, god forbid). It's the sheen on top of music. But it's an important part of the audio, and although some will hear this smearing as a good thing (think vinyl and how it tends to sound better even if less accurate) I really struggle with it. I didn't the first day I had the car, but once I heard a track with a lot of well-recorded 12K, and how it was sloppy, I can't seem to ignore it.

So I'm wondering if anyone has found strong replacements tweeters. Close to OEM specs -- I don't want a higher or lower sensitivity because Tesla has put some thought into the design and balance and amplifier settings and I don't want to mess with the amount of high end, merely its level of distortion.