Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Daily Luddite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every so often I scan the main part of the Daily Mail website after looking at their MoneyPages (which are quite informative). I've noticed that they seem to have taken a very 'anti' view on the recent announcement that the UK should move from new ICE cars by 2030 and on electric cars in general. There are numerous negative articles on electric cars - mostly by by columnists who have 'tried a few over a 'period' of time'. The old favourites are there: cost to buy, difficulty charging, running out of electricity etc. However, the more worrying issue is in the comments to these articles. There appears to be a significant proportion of people advocating damaging electric cars, cutting cables, vandalising charging stations and so on. I understand that in most cases this is anti Boris Johnson rhetoric but as events in the US show, it doesn't take much to whip up the masses to a fervour. In my case, I've only ever experienced people who are very interested in my car but wondered if anyone has experienced negative views.

The Daily Mail comments section is a very dark place. You'll also find
  • All measures to contain the spread of Covid are treason
  • All scientists are criminals
  • Rather than just leave, we probably should start a war with the EU
  • Any unmarried mothers should be executed
  • Anyone unfortunate enough to be on benefits should work in a coal mine
  • Megan is an evil temptress ruining our royal family (and this isn't because they are racist
The stories are valuable if you want
  1. To hear about made up reality show opinions on the royals
  2. See celebrity women on the beach and comment on their weight
  3. See how a thrifty housewife redecorated a room on a budget
  4. Find a something in a picture of lots of something else

The Daily Mail comments section is a very dark place. You'll also find
  • All measures to contain the spread of Covid are treason
  • All scientists are criminals
  • Rather than just leave, we probably should start a war with the EU
  • Any unmarried mothers should be executed
  • Anyone unfortunate enough to be on benefits should work in a coal mine
  • Megan is an evil temptress ruining our royal family (and this isn't because they are racist
The stories are valuable if you want
  1. To hear about made up reality show opinions on the royals
  2. See celebrity women on the beach and comment on their weight
  3. See how a thrifty housewife redecorated a room on a budget
  4. Find a something in a picture of lots of something else

Now come one that's not fair. It's much worse than that.

The Daily Mail money section role in life seems to only highlight the latest Nigerian investment scams.
Not everything Nigerian is a scam of course I am contributing generously to the charity that has been set up to return the brave Nigerian astronaut who is currently stuck in orbit.
Nigeria’s a good place. Burkina Faso on the other hand has more multi-millionaires die in plane crashes than anywhere on the planet and bless them, they all left their money to me :D

I have the Mail on Saturday. The TV listings are great. The crossword suits my IQ. The rest is great for lighting the wood burner.

Every so often I scan the main part of the Daily Mail website after looking at their MoneyPages (which are quite informative). I've noticed that they seem to have taken a very 'anti' view on the recent announcement that the UK should move from new ICE cars by 2030 and on electric cars in general. There are numerous negative articles on electric cars - mostly by by columnists who have 'tried a few over a 'period' of time'. The old favourites are there: cost to buy, difficulty charging, running out of electricity etc. However, the more worrying issue is in the comments to these articles. There appears to be a significant proportion of people advocating damaging electric cars, cutting cables, vandalising charging stations and so on. I understand that in most cases this is anti Boris Johnson rhetoric but as events in the US show, it doesn't take much to whip up the masses to a fervour. In my case, I've only ever experienced people who are very interested in my car but wondered if anyone has experienced negative views.
In answer to your question, no, I’ve never come across any negative views or feedback from casual encounters on the street. Most people are just inquisitive or fascinated, or both. I do have a “friend” who thinks EVs are an incredibly bad idea, but that’s most likely because he’s too tight to spend that much since retiring. Pangs of jealousy methinks.

I think Hydrogen is lauded as the saviour simply because people don't want change. They've already got an ICE mentality, ie. going to a station to fill up once a week, and don't like the idea of it taking forever... hence Hydrogen solves that.

As long as people keep thinking like an ICE driver, with things like "there's no charging points round here", and "but takes days to fully charge it" and you've got a lot of resistance.

Couple that with the expensive sticker price (not that most people buy a at cost, they pay monthly, so provided that number is right, why not?), or those that park on the road, and you've a recipe for a lot of doubt. Now the government (and media) have told them it's going to happen it turns to anger.

The issue they've not realised is that it's not the government ban that's going to make this happen, it's the motor manufactures that are doing so to save their bacon on fines from the EU, and because most of the EU are also imposing similar bans. So in a few years time, Mr Product President at Ford is not going to sign off on the new Ford Focus due for launch in 5 years time being petrol... he can see the ban, knows sale will be forbidden and will direct the project to make it an EV or hybrid. Same for the other Euro countries that share the same cars.

It'll happen whether they like it or not. And for many many many of them, they will like it once they make the switch.

Reactions: Zakalwe
I think Hydrogen is lauded as the saviour simply because people don't want change. They've already got an ICE mentality, ie. going to a station to fill up once a week, and don't like the idea of it taking forever... hence Hydrogen solves that.

As long as people keep thinking like an ICE driver, with things like "there's no charging points round here", and "but takes days to fully charge it" and you've got a lot of resistance.

Couple that with the expensive sticker price (not that most people buy a at cost, they pay monthly, so provided that number is right, why not?), or those that park on the road, and you've a recipe for a lot of doubt. Now the government (and media) have told them it's going to happen it turns to anger.

The issue they've not realised is that it's not the government ban that's going to make this happen, it's the motor manufactures that are doing so to save their bacon on fines from the EU, and because most of the EU are also imposing similar bans. So in a few years time, Mr Product President at Ford is not going to sign off on the new Ford Focus due for launch in 5 years time being petrol... he can see the ban, knows sale will be forbidden and will direct the project to make it an EV or hybrid. Same for the other Euro countries that share the same cars.

It'll happen whether they like it or not. And for many many many of them, they will like it once they make the switch.
I agree and I seem to recall Clarkson (ugh) touting hydrogen as the only viable alternative to fossils a few years ago, which may have further helped cement the general public’s view that there is a viable alternative to the greater change that will come with BEVs.

Let them believe in Hydrogen.
It’s the first step to doing away with fossil fuels.
I’m sure there is actually a place for the “Hydrogen economy”. It may, just may, be the solution to how to store all the excess solar power in the summer to use in the winter, for example. Fuel cells are likely to become ever more efficient in the coming decades.
I just can’t see it happening in the automotive industry, mostly because it seems like a pointless exercise.

Reactions: Zakalwe
On a slightly more sensible note... 2020 has had a marked effect with ‘working from home’.
I know a surprising number of people who’s jobs have been so successfully transferred, that they will now be permanently home based with infrequent visits to a much smaller permanent base.
As an example; my cousin whose IT job was based in London giving him a 3 hour commute each way, is now permanently home-based. He will now have access to an office based outside London if he needs it and will save about £4K per year in travel expenses.

i have to say that having spent 10 years owning and living at a retail shop which amounts to working from from home, there are many benefits but there is a downside. It can be isolating at at times.

There is a good chance that there will be less commuting traffic. ...until something fills the gap!