Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

The anti-Tesla EV lovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why some people just don't like the Tesla brand and willing to buy none Tesla EVs despite all the difficulties that come with a none Tesla EVs like charging and support?!
Tesla used to be a leader. Not so much now.

It's no longer the longest range in the US after the promise of 520 mile range for Cybertruck and 610 mile range for Roadster.

The Industry is moving toward 800V while the latest Supercharger V4 is still stuck at 400V (none of V4 has 800V charger cabinets, they are all 400V cabinets).

Tesla lost its radar, USS, signal/gear stalks, central horn button...

Tesla is still stuck at punishing drivers for hands free L2 steering while others go toward hand free and even L3.

Its CEO is unable to control himself on Twitter and the SEC still has the right to censor him as needed...

Wanting?
So no body started the 800V.
I assume it is Tesla who is leading the 800V
Tesla wants 800V chargers. It promised itself that its wish will be true once it would install V4 Tesla Superchargers.

Tesla has already installed V4 Tesla Superchargers, first in the EU, then now in the US. However its wish is not fulfilled because all installed V4 Tesla Superchargers can only supply 400V. That's because installed V4 Tesla Superchargers are using 400V chargers, not 800V.

On the link on message #4 above where Tesla Cybertruck were charging 814V, 327kW, that's not a Tesla charger brand.

Thus, Tesla is no way near to be a leader in 800V charger even if it wants to when it has zero 800V charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
I want a conventional looking SUV think Q4/ID4
I want conventional controls: stalks
I want better quality control
I want 360 video
I want a front bumper camera / I prefer not to back in
I want a driver screen
I want regular door handles

Those are very reasonable wishes.

Even a cheap Hyundai can have a front bumper camera for real-time 360 video view...

Cybertruck has a front bumper camera but it still doesn't have 360 video view.

That means Tesla is no where near being a leader in 360 real-time video view.

Reactions: cwerdna
Without conventional stalks, drivers have to take their eyes off the road to hunt and poke at the arrow icon.

The arrow icons are arranged in an irrational place: Both are on the left. The left should be on the left, and the right should be on the right. Drivers are still pushing the wrong arrow after months/years of using the Tesla method.

In the EU, NCAP (The European New Car Assessment Programme) will downgrade the safety ratings of stalkless cars.

Norwegian driving schools have banned stalkless cars.

Thus, Tesla is leading in losing safety scores.

Last edited:
One example is I totaled my model Y after 10 months of having it because I parked forward in a parking stall and got distracted and did not put it in park. Then anfter 15 seconds of being stopped I accidentally hit the accelerator and the car accelerated forward. It could not see the curb and continued forward destroying the underside of the car. A proper 360 camera would have caught that. The default one pedal behavior is to stop when your foot is off the pedal and can easily make you forget you are not in park.

Last edited:
Tesla used to be a leader. Not so much now.

It's no longer the longest range in the US after the promise of 520 mile range for Cybertruck and 610 mile range for Roadster.

The Industry is moving toward 800V while the latest Supercharger V4 is still stuck at 400V (none of V4 has 800V charger cabinets, they are all 400V cabinets).

Tesla lost its radar, USS, signal/gear stalks, central horn button...

Tesla is still stuck at punishing drivers for hands free L2 steering while others go toward hand free and even L3.

Its CEO is unable to control himself on Twitter and the SEC still has the right to censor him as needed...

No. People's dislike is not technical.
They just don't want to be associated with the Tesla brand.

Wanting?
So no body started the 800V.
I assume it is Tesla who is leading the 800V
Numerous US BEVs already charge at "800 volts" or more.

Examples:
HyunKia E-GMP vehicles like Ioniq 5 and 6, EV6
Porsche Taycan
Audi e-tron GT
Hummer EV
Lucid Air

at ~3:31 he stops charging. 55.67 kWh were dispensed. It was 18 minutes from 10 to 80%.
- I probably didn't watch most of this but he starts charging at 1:41
I just found
- he starts at ~4:14.

starts charging ~1:25. You can at least see voltages on 2 of the cars. Bjorn has probably done other test like these on "800 volt" system cars. Looks like he uploaded that video at end of July 2021.

is from Nov 2021. Charging starts at 0:35.

There are CCS1 amperage limits so they have to up the voltage to get the power levels higher.

Last edited:
Even a cheap Hyundai can have a front bumper camera for real-time 360 video view...

Cybertruck has a front bumper camera but it still doesn't have 360 video view.

That means Tesla is no where near being a leader in 360 real-time video view.
As I've posted about this many times, I enjoyed 360 degree virtual overhead view on my '13 Leafs (SV w/premium package) from July 2013 thru mid-2021. I had two such Leafs (leased then owned). It's Around View Monitor in Nissan parlance. My former '19 Bolt Premier also had it (Surround Vision in GM parlance). I LOVED the feature.

At one point, Nissan was even offering it on the lowly Versa. I don't follow that vehicle so I don't know about now. I see numerous sub-$30K vehicles (starting price) with it available at the bottom of Around View Monitor Technology: Back Up & 360° Camera| Nissan USA.

I've test driven several Toyotas with it.

Unfortunately, my current EV ('22 Niro EV leased) doesn't have it, not even as an option. For future purchases, if it exists as an option on that car, I would hesitate to buy it w/o the feature.
Only 8 manufacturers want 800V charging stations:

1. Tesla

2. Audi
3. GM
4. Hyundai/Kia/Genesis
5. Lucid
6. Mercedes
7. Polestar
8. Porsche

---
9. Ford is planning.
I'd probably add at least VW Group (Audi and Porsche are amongst their brands), Stellantis and Toyota to that list:
VW Will Keep Its Current Small EV Platform Until 2028 alludes to a future 800 volt SSP platform. And, conveniently, VW of America owns most of Electrify America since it was a part of VW's dieselgate penance.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and Tam
One example is I totaled my model Y after 10 months of having it because I parked forward in a parking stall and got distracted and did not put it in park. Then anfter 15 seconds of being stopped I accidentally hit the accelerator and the car accelerated forward. It could not see the curb and continued forward destroying the underside of the car. A proper 360 camera would have caught that. The default one pedal behavior is to stop when your foot is off the pedal and can easily make you forget you are not in park.
Sorry, you can’t blame that on the car. You would have done the same without or without front bumper cameras.

Clearly you screwed up, user error.

Sorry, you can’t blame that on the car. You would have done the same without or without front bumper cameras.

Clearly you screwed up, user error.
User error yes, but I think it'd help and it illustrates the safety aspect of creep that I've posted about numerous times like at Reverse made my car go forward..., namely it providing directional cueing to the driver. Read the section I point to for more detail.

FWIW, I owned a '19 Chevy Bolt for 3 years. If you wanted "one pedal driving", you had to pull back on the shift lever twice to go into L (first pull is D, second pull is L and you could toggle between the two by pulling). In L, there was no forward creep but there was no way to disable reverse creep. Shifting into R --> reverse creep, unlike BMW i3 that had no forward nor reverse creep and no way to enable creep.

Also, I mentioned I had '13 Leafs with
for almost 8 years. As the video mentions, you can cycle thru the views by pressing the camera button. Video later mentions, if you shift out of reverse, the display returns to a previous screen, which would've also been a reminder that the car's not in reverse...

I haven't had my former '19 Bolt since I surrendered it (had it bought back by GM) at end of Jan 2022 but the manual refreshed my memory about this behavior:
bolt.jpg

Also, he said he couldn't see the curb. If he had the front camera or overhead view, he'd probably have seen it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and rlzalusky
Why some people just don't like the Tesla brand and willing to buy none Tesla EVs despite all the difficulties that come with a none Tesla EVs like charging and support?!
Well I’ve mentioned it before but Musk’s leadership is a big turn off for me. The recent dismantling of the Super Charger team is another. Now, Musk’s focus on robots as the future shows again the vehicle division is taking a back seat. He no longer cares as much about the vehicle division and there’s no one to take the lead from him.

No. People's dislike is not technical.
They just don't want to be associated with the Tesla brand.

Different people may have different preferences.

Some hate China but they still have many Chinese products. Many parts in Tesla is Chinese including the computers. Almost all politicians voted to ban Tik Tok but many of them still use it to reach young voters. During the heights of Trump's anti-China rhetoric, his clothing lines still were made in China. Even MAGA crowds were buying hats and other MAGA items made by China...

Some people hate petroleum because of human rights violations and war, but they still fly to visit families and vacations. The still go cruises that consumed huge amount of oil. They still rent an Ice when away from home....

The US hates Russia but NASA still uses its space service.

Please do not be fooled by politics: People would use a product that they need even though they politically hate it.

The needs could be low price, convenience, or even technology.

Reactions: GSP
Well I’ve mentioned it before but Musk’s leadership is a big turn off for me. The recent dismantling of the Super Charger team is another. Now, Musk’s focus on robots as the future shows again the vehicle division is taking a back seat. He no longer cares as much about the vehicle division and there’s no one to take the lead from him.
Thats another big one beyond the political issues I frankly don't trust him anymore. Not only firing much of HR and the supercharger team but doing it instantly without transitions or discussions with partners. He could have sold it and made money but instead he blew it up. He has removed much of the guardrails around him that kept sanity at the company. Who is to say what crazy stuff he might do next without warning.

Yes my accident described above was technically user error but Tesla is increasing the possibility of user errors with these changes. The baby boomers are getting older and FSD is not there yet by making these changes they are going against decades of sense memory learning.

When backing out of a parking space I regularly look in many directions and having to look at the screen to do a swish move is not good.

My wife has some finger neuropathy after a surgery screw up and using her thumb to push the door handle open is not fun.

Taking away USS before a valid working replacement is in place is not good.

Management is leaving like crazy and its pretty clear why.

I enjoyed aspects of the MY for 10 months but it will not be my next car. I simply don't trust the company any more.