Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Canadian Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of, hello!

Mods, if this isn't the right place to post this, let me know and I'll delete and repost.

I'm a soon to be Model 3 owner, but before I go and order, just wanted to wonder if you guys had any complaints regarding Teslas in our Canadian weather?

First of, hello!

Mods, if this isn't the right place to post this, let me know and I'll delete and repost.

I'm a soon to be Model 3 owner, but before I go and order, just wanted to wonder if you guys had any complaints regarding Teslas in our Canadian weather?

I came from a RWD Lexus IS350 and now I have a S90D. Both cars were equipped with winter tires.

The Tesla is (IMO) one of the best cars I've ever driven in the winter. The combination of AWD + winter tires + weight of the car + low centre of gravity = amazing winter car.

My wife drives and AWD Lexus RX350 and I believe my S out performs her car in winter driving all day long.

@Vawlkus also points out some really nice features on Tesla with being able to warm the car and defrost the windows from across the country, if need be.

The only area where I would say some ICE cars are better in winter are with respect to the heating and defrosting. Don't get me wrong...they aren't bad... I've just experienced better. Having said that... I drive without a jacket all winter long, so heating has never really been an issue for me, as I prefer a bit of a cooler car.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Fantastic. Excellent winter driver. I've driven Tesla as a daily driver through six winters now.

Get the long range pack for sure - you need the extra power.

Heating is a big deal if the car is cold soaked... which happens a lot of course. Once it's warmed up the extra energy use is mainly aerodynamic drag (this is exactly the same as an ICE car). Expect 20% - 30% more power draw at highway speeds in a nice toasty warm car... expect double to triple for short trips if the car is stone cold.

AWD is really helpful, though you can most certainly get by without if you have good snow tires (I did five winters with my previous RWD Tesla).

If you include rainy Vancouver weather as winter, the auto wipers are sub par. They tend to be too slow or too fast, rarely matching conditions. I find the long periods between wipes disconcerting sometimes. I can drive a city block sometimes with a window full of light rain. Good thing there is the button single wipe for these cases. New blades and a clean window didn't really make a difference.

If you include rainy Vancouver weather as winter, the auto wipers are sub par. They tend to be too slow or too fast, rarely matching conditions. I find the long periods between wipes disconcerting sometimes. I can drive a city block sometimes with a window full of light rain. Good thing there is the button single wipe for these cases. New blades and a clean window didn't really make a difference.
Nobody on the entire planet counts rainy Vancouver weather as winter.

Anyone want to comment on Tesla where you are nowhere near a service center?

It's certainly a significant concern. I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting something they want, but it'd be a huge pain in the ass to flatbed your car from Saskatchewan to Calgary if something serious were to happen to it. I can't think of any car I want more than a Tesla, but I probably wouldn't buy one if I had to go that far to get to a service centre.

do you own a Tesla now?

I feel I can handle the pain of having to drive 800 km once a year to get minor things fixed, but my wife may not be so tolerant.
Coming up on one full year of owning my Model X. Did have to have it trucked back once for a faulty junction box (had an Enterprise rental for a week), but other than that, it’s been smooth sailing. I’m actually making the road trip up to Montreal next month for my annual service.

Model X, best car I've driven in winter. Get some nice snow tires and your good to go. Range does take a big hit though.

One complaint I have though.... Wife left car out and it got a nice layer of ice. I kinda forced door open then Couldn't close it. Window would not go down that tiny bit and back up, It was frozen. I had to turn on heat full blast to defrost with door slightly open. I also turned off auto folding mirrors because of freezing.
Preheat, its the way to go.

Other than that, great car