Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had any success in duplicating Teslafi data? I downloaded all mine as a backup but that was a couple of weeks ago. As a result of the lockdown I've not done anything but the same ~2 mile commute every day and free charging at work so I was thinking I could duplicate those runs/charges for the days I was in and yeah sure, the data isn't going to be accurate, but it's better than nothing if I take an average.

Looks like the excel rows should be easy enough to duplicate once you find the route and the date is in a readable format.

I know this isn't quite the right thread (or forum) for this question, but having not dabbled with a Pi before have you guys got the 2 or 4GB version? I'm guessing Teslamate would be absolutely fine with the 2GB? So I'm wondering if there's any future use case for the 4GB. I know it's not a lot more but as a % of the cost it is.
Pretty sure the 2Gb will do fine, it's not working very hard
Was this on a QNAP please? If so did you use their "Container Station" functionality to facilitate? Cheers
This is what I did, no issues.

Hey @Roy W. - I got my Pi yesterday and got Teslamate up and running. I imported all of my TeslaFi information but I've run into a snag that I'm wondering if you've seen before. All of the state data recorded by Teslamate is "Updating". The periods before reflecting sleep/online/driving are from the TeslaFi import. The car has been asleep and online in this period and definitely not "updating".

Any ideas?

upload_2020-4-25_12-38-24.png

Hey @Roy W. - I got my Pi yesterday and got Teslamate up and running. I imported all of my TeslaFi information but I've run into a snag that I'm wondering if you've seen before. All of the state data recorded by Teslamate is "Updating". The periods before reflecting sleep/online/driving are from the TeslaFi import. The car has been asleep and online in this period and definitely not "updating".

Any ideas?

View attachment 535653
In a word, no! I’ve not seen this before. Does TeslaMate see the state change if you wake the car?

Any ideas?

View attachment 535653
There’s a new minor update of TeslaMate out today - I wonder if that might fix your problem?

One of the fixes is:
  • Do not publish NULL or incorrect values to MQTT topics if TM is restarted while the car is asleep

Personally I disagree. I would have to be specifically targeted as a Tesla owner, and they would have to break into the house. My implementation is not using the internet.

Anything web-based is much more susceptible to attacks - all the data is centralised and the actor only needs to gain access by one means to access many users’ data. Akin to someone hacking a bank’s website, compared to breaking into the bank.

Each to their own though, we’re all able to decide which works best for us personally.
And all they would get is Your data. Not much reward for the risk!

Reactions: Roy W.
@Roy W.

Few Questions about setting up on a Pi

Would a Pi zero W be ok to use? Have one laying around!

Also what does your data save too? The SD on the pi or an external storage solution?
Not sure about the Pi Zero, how old is it? initially I tried to set it up on a Pi 2 from about 2013/14 but it was too slow to even install. As I didn’t have a newer Pi I just bought a new Pi 4 to run it on. I suggest you give it a try. If it is fast enough to pull the files from the repository then it should work. With my old Pi 2 it was timing out at this stage.

Files are stored on the Pi boot drive, so in my case a micro-SD card.

After initially setting it up using my TV as a monitor it now just sits headless in the cupboard. I SSH into it from my iPad to update it, and copy the backup file to my iMac and Dropbox in case it all goes TU.