Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why has Tesla taken so long to sort how 2 Gateways are "seen" in the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I've learnt rolling out Tesla PW's on two phase can be an issue with the app... (can't merge the smarts or the visuals as "one") you've effectively got two separate systems seen in the app.. have to swipe left and right etc...
I've also learnt some of ya'll over there in the US need two gateways to cope with 400amp houses...
Those that have had to do this (use two gateways), have had their installs like more than 3 years already.. right?..
So my question is why has Tesla taken so long to sort this issue for ya'all?
Surely it's not a difficult task to merge the data within the app?
Or is there more to it?
The smarts/API etc..?
Just after an explanation why it seems to be so difficult..
Cheers

You are asking for speculation.

My speculation is, since both systems are completely, 100% separate, there is no reason to merge them in the app, as that would cause needless confusion. If one system has zero capacity and they were all merged in the app, it would look like there was capacity when there isnt.

The question you seem to be asking is "why isnt there a gateway that handles more than 200amps? which I have no idea. "Why isnt the data merged from systems that are not related to each other in any way" seems easier to speculate.

I'm lucky here
I have a smart meter that can be read real time using zigbee (well every 10 sec) via the Rainforest Eagle (Canadian tech)
And can see that in home assistant..
So I don't really need clamps or Tesla smarts anyway
I know exactly what's going on at the meter at all times (which at the end of the day is what really counts)
Was just curious why Tesla (being so into AI etc, an' all) can't seem to do it?
I mean the obvious solution is for Tesla to have their own simple monitoring device (or use the Neurio) that can be put at the mainboard, and just use that inputting what's going on at the meter.. and use that as the in/out info in the app... (not the gateways out near the batteries)..
That's what SolarEdge does right? With their modbus monitor (or whatever it's called).
Why not Tesla?
Don't get me wrong. I don't regret going with the PW (over say putting in a SolarEdge home battery) as I wanted a better, cleaner backup solution.
Just curious why Tesla hasn't really nailed/sorted the "Two Gateway" in the one app issue.....
Thanks for the reply
:)

Last edited:
The more fundamental question is why Tesla doesn't have native 3-phase Powerwalls. They don't even have the ability to power 3-phase loads off-grid, nor use 3-phase solar inverters off-grid. The best they can do when the grid is down on true 2-phase or 3-phase is power single phase loads with independent single phase Gateways and Powerwalls.

Reactions: Jay Gatsby
The more fundamental question is why Tesla doesn't have native 3-phase Powerwalls. They don't even have the ability to power 3-phase loads off-grid, nor use 3-phase solar inverters off-grid. The best they can do when the grid is down on true 2-phase or 3-phase is power single phase loads with independent single phase Gateways and Powerwalls.
Perhaps one issue is that a 3 phase powerwall would require three coordinated inverters, either with a feed of all three phases to all the powerwalls or by a tracking signal from the gateway on the bus, which may or may not be up to the bandwidth needed to coordinate demand, phase, and voltage across all three.

I would love to see a single three phase Powerwall or equivalent. I would probably buy it the moment it hit the market. The only one that I have seen is commercial sized.

Funnily enough, I checked my Powerwall nameplate, and under phase, it lists the US 240V +N as "2 Phase". 👍👍😀

All the best,

BG

• Funny
Reactions: Jay Gatsby
I thought I’ve seen a three phase gateway before. You could go with a megapack..
Enphase has just rolled out three phase micro inverters, guess it makes the installation simpler and you don’t need a phase disconnect switch. Perhaps they will follow with three phase battery, but I doubt it.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
I thought I’ve seen a three phase gateway before. You could go with a megapack..
Enphase has just rolled out three phase micro inverters, guess it makes the installation simpler and you don’t need a phase disconnect switch. Perhaps they will follow with three phase battery, but I doubt it.
Thanks. If the three phase variants had grid forming abilities, then life would get pretty simple. They appear to be grid tied only.

Still, progress!

All the best,

BG