Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wheel Lug Nuts for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I'm looking for an alternative to the OEM lug nuts Tesla Japan is offering to sell to me. Their asking price is ¥12963.

The price seems reasonable but I'm curious if anyone has found any better options?
Aluminium / not steel
Colouring
Cheaper 😅

The OEM tire lug nut size for the Model S and I believe all Tesla's is
M14x1.5
1.6inch in height
Conical
21Hex / 3/4

Any help is much appreciated.

Reactions: hiroshiy
If you find some let me know. ;)
Most of them seem to be anodized in different colours for the boy racer crowd.
After what feels like searching through all of Amazon Japan and various other retailers, I've decided to go with the offer from my local Tesla dealer.

While there are some M14x1.5 lug nut options in Japan, they all seem to be too short at 1.4inches. Need 1.6inches. The M14x1.5 lug nuts here in Japan seem to jump from 1.4" to 1.9" which I believe is acceptable but the HEX size goes down to 19mm which I'm not sure is acceptable with the Tesla stock rims.

I'm probably being a little too cautious but I have the P90D and want to make sure the nuts can handle the torque.

From all the research I've done, it seems many owners recommend the Gorilla brand:

I should also say it's cheaper to import them from the US than to buy them locally in Japan as the prices are really high. o_O

Do you have a Tesla under warranty? One of my MS lug nuts failed, I wrote email to the Japan Tesla address, and they sent me 2 lug nuts.
Sadly not anymore. But I did notice something that went completely over my head until I put the new lugs on.

When I purchased my car back in Feb 2021, it only came with summer tires and I live up North, so I needed to put winter tires on them immediately. At that time when I switched the tires, I noticed the 21mm socket wasn't fitting around the lug nut, so I had to go buy a 22mm socket to take the lug nuts off and change the wheels. I was in a mad rush to get the winter tires on and go snowboarding the next day, and this difference in socket size just went straight over my head.

I haven't researched it yet, but I'm wondering if Tesla ever used 22mm socket lug nuts or if the lug nuts that were on the car when they sold it to me were just deformed/expanded and I had no idea at the time.

There have been a number of types used. On my 2014 Model S the lug nuts have a chrome sleeve over them and this is often distorted by power tools that tyre shops use to remove a replace them. Later models I understand have a removable cap that comes off before you use a tool to remove them, thus avoiding the issue.
Each time I have tyres replaced or rotated I check that the lug nuts are not distorted and at the correct torque setting.

Reactions: Aganan