Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to replace my drive unit - 900 miles on car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should also update everyone that my car is back at the shop, but not because of the motor, but because the steering doesn't have the same heft as it did previously and the regen seems weaker. Could be completely in my head but appreciate that they're looking into it. The alignment after the motor install might be impacting steering feel, though it's more in spec now than before but the caster was slightly lowered, which may be the culprit. I can't envision a scenario where the change in steering and regen feel are due to software (I assume it's binary, it either works or it doesn't ).

Finally, I still have this annoying gremlin -- the charge port pops open every time I put my foot on the brake to 'start' the car (only after sleep).

More stuff that I would typically want to address this early on, but I love the product so much it isn't bothering me much (yet :)

Finally, I still have this annoying gremlin -- the charge port pops open every time I put my foot on the brake to 'start' the car (only after sleep).
That's a weird one!

- - - Updated - - -

I should also update everyone that my car is back at the shop, but not because of the motor, but because the steering doesn't have the same heft as it did previously and the regen seems weaker. Could be completely in my head but appreciate that they're looking into it. The alignment after the motor install might be impacting steering feel, though it's more in spec now than before but the caster was slightly lowered, which may be the culprit. I can't envision a scenario where the change in steering and regen feel are due to software (I assume it's binary, it either works or it doesn't ).
do you know what version of software you were running when you dropped it off? If you were running 4.5 when you left it with them, then ended up with 5.x then yes, the regen and acceleration profile feels much softer now... Personally I liked it the old way where you could make the car practically jump when goosing it... Guessing Tesla knew that would be bad for all those spirited northern drivers... :)

do you know what version of software you were running when you dropped it off? If you were running 4.5 when you left it with them, then ended up with 5.x then yes, the regen and acceleration profile feels much softer now... Personally I liked it the old way where you could make the car practically jump when goosing it... Guessing Tesla knew that would be bad for all those spirited northern drivers... :)

Oh, I am not aware of this. (I only got my car last month, and had the software updated to the latest current version within a couple of hours of delivery)

Could you please elaborate, or give a link to any relevant info/discussion about this? I am super curious. Thanks.

Oh, I am not aware of this. (I only got my car last month, and had the software updated to the latest current version within a couple of hours of delivery)

Could you please elaborate, or give a link to any relevant info/discussion about this? I am super curious. Thanks.
I did not personally experience this but it seemed that most who did experience this later indicated a reboot resolved the issue and regen was returned to the way it had been prior to the upgrade.