Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
28.7MW. The reserve based discharge rate approach makes sense. In past VPP, the total MW discharged would decrease significantly over time whereas today, the power increases slightly through the event. It may be a proof of concept to demonstrate a more constant power feed.
31.9MW at the end

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230828-205944.png
    Screenshot_20230828-205944.png
    633.5 KB · Views: 56
Discharge rate seems tied to backup reserve level and your max export rate.

Ran an experiment:
25%: 3.5kW
10%: 4.7kW
50%: 1.4kW
Back to 25%: 3.5kW
Takes a few minutes for discharge to catchup to reserve change.

I like this new behavior; allows one to get to the end of the VPP period and be right at your backup level to minimize grid usage
Will be interesting to see if tomorrow’s behavior is the same. VPP is longer (4-9pm). Battery discharge level should be lower than today’s. My 2x PW got down to 8% by the end of today‘s VPP event, had reserve set to 0%

There have been some discussions here about the site export limit without any clear simple answer. It wouldn't be any more than the maximum AC rating of your solar inverter(s) and might be limited by the maximum that can be produced by the solar panel array (size and orientations). My interconnect agreement says the AC rating is 7.556 kW, but my array won't generate more than 6.4 kW and I have a site export limit of 7.16kW with two Powerwalls.

The interconnect agreements allow PG&E to calculate the maximum generation that will be seen across each grid segment and they do/can deny an interconnect if the local transformer would be overloaded if more solar was added. Exceeding the export that has been agreed to could be very bad for the system. During past VPP event my Powerwalls do get close to 10kW when my house load is high enough to limit the grid export to below the 7.16kW.

In your past posts I see mentions of 10.8kW PV, and I think you have multiple Powerwall 2+ with the built in inverters likely a 7.6kW and 3.8kW which is 11.4kW, so a site export limit of 11.88kW is more than you could like ever produce from Solar.
But does it make sense that going the other way my powerwalls can grid charge at night at 21.6kW? Isn’t this stuff more or less bidirectional?

My interconnect seems to indicate 9.8kW.

IMG_7288.jpeg

For whatever reason my SLD/TLD has both powerwall+ inverters at 7.6kW.

IMG_7287.jpeg

Still unclear to he how Tesla installers arrived at 11.88 kW site export limit…I can’t find that anywhere…nor can get the math to arrive at that.

Btw, apologies for the likely dumb question…does Tesla pay out for the VPP? Or is that through the utility (PG&E in my case)?

If the former, when and where?

If the latter…is that at annual true up? Can this only offset costs to net $0?
Nevermind…read the FAQ’s…

IMG_7291.jpeg

That said…now I’m concerned….

According to below…it would seem if I’m regularly dumping full rate export (11.9kW) from 4p - 9p…the VPP today, as well as the VPP tomorrow, are net zero offsets from “beyond typical behavior”.

I wouldn’t get any credit for VPP. Am I reading this correctly?

IMG_7289.jpeg

IMG_7290.png

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
But does it make sense that going the other way my powerwalls can grid charge at night at 21.6kW? Isn’t this stuff more or less bidirectional?
First, I am not an expert on this. My understanding is that when the grid was built the calculations for transformer sizing was pretty simple with just needed to add up all of the downstream service loads with some large adjustment factor that assumes that everyone isn't pulling at 100% at the same time. Solar exports are similar, but since everyone's Peak production is at the same time I don't think they can use as large of an adjustment factor. The whole point of the Interconnect Agreement and the Permission To Operate process is to document the new generation site to ensure that it won't create a problem. There have been multiple posts here about IOU requiring systems to either be limited or requiring payment ($$K) to upgrade the local transformer.

Staying with the allowed export limit allows others on your transformer to also operate, both for solar and for VPP events. If you were allowed to export up to the maximum of your import than so could your neighbors and that could overload the transformer during a VPP event. There may be nobody else on your transformer with either solar or ESS, but the interconnect agreement is permanent that will very likely change over time although at a slower rate with NEM 3.0 rules.

I think that grid operators will likely have to re-examine their transformer sizing equations due to changing electrical usage with large continuous draws for EV charging that all start at midnight and now for those with ESS that are charging from the grid (I do not use this function).
My interconnect seems to indicate 9.8kW.
For whatever reason my SLD/TLD has both powerwall+ inverters at 7.6kW.
Still unclear to he how Tesla installers arrived at 11.88 kW site export limit…I can’t find that anywhere…nor can get the math to arrive at that.
It seems strange that Tesla would have installed two 7.6kW inverters with only 10.8kW of PV, maybe that is what they had in stock, maybe it made more sense with your panel configuration, in the end this was probably only a $200-300 more in actual cost. The Solar AC rating of 9.8kW is likely the maximum calculated amount based on the your 10.8kW solar panel orientations. The 11.88kW export limit is likely what PG&E ultimately communicated back as that amount plus a margin factor. I don't think there is any published information on how this is calculated.

Note: Earlier I said that my site export limit was 7.16kW, but it is actually 7.82kW or 3.5% higher than my 7.556kW Solar CEC-AC rating.

Reactions: YRide
Interesting observations from you all about this new graduated dicharge for VPP events. I did not participate this year because I did not like spending my last hour running off of the grid during an event after it pulled all my power down in the first two hours.

The other thing I did not see reported is did the PWs get charged during off peak via the grid to 100% prior to the event like they did last year?

According to below…it would seem if I’m regularly dumping full rate export (11.9kW) from 4p - 9p…the VPP today, as well as the VPP tomorrow, are net zero offsets from “beyond typical behavior”.

I wouldn’t get any credit for VPP. Am I reading this correctly?
You are reading this correctly, but the detail is that it is on an hour-by-hour basis, not over the whole period. You can set your reserve to 100% for the first hours of the VPP event and then set it back down when you usually stop exporting.

You are reading this correctly, but the detail is that it is on an hour-by-hour basis, not over the whole period. You can set your reserve to 100% for the first hours of the VPP event and then set it back down when you usually stop exporting.
That might be a very interesting trick to use, but there isn't anything in the ELRP/VPP documentation that says that the baseline calculation is done this way. I couldn't reconcile my 2022 VPP numbers with the Tesla check that I received so I tried this with my data and it still didn't reconcile.

I am watching for this today. So far no grid charging of the PW pre-VPP. PW was down to 8% overnight.
Last year the VPP based grid charging didn't activate until it gets close (<2 hours) from the start time if the Powerwalls weren't at 100% and the algorithm determine that solar was unlikely to get it there in time.

• Informative
Reactions: gsdubs and aesculus
That might be a very interesting trick to use, but there isn't anything in the ELRP/VPP documentation that says that the baseline calculation is done this way. I couldn't reconcile my 2022 VPP numbers with the Tesla check that I received so I tried this with my data and it still didn't reconcile.
Here's an example:
2. The EB will be calculated on an hourly basis using the average of either 1) the previous10 calendar days, or 2) the previous 10 similar days.